Author Topic: squeaking sound from front wheel, pls help  (Read 8242 times)

guest2052

squeaking sound from front wheel, pls help
« on: April 17, 2011, 11:33:55 PM »
hi guys sorry to bring a problem up on my first post, I've a 2005 1.4 cvt @ 25000miles atm,
yesterday it started to develop a very loud squeaking sound from the offside front wheel,
comes up randomly but as soon as i apply the brakes it stops.
any thought what could have caused it?

my initial thoughts were something wrong with the bearing maybe? but since applying brakes could stop the sound my attention turn to the brake pads. loose parts or just worn out?

however according to the manual when the brake pads worn out the sound should come on under braking, but now its completely opposite, squeaking as i drive along but stops as soon as a brake.

so i'm just really confused now, i dont know much about car either ><
any help is really appreciated!!

sorry for the long story!!

tonytan

• Approved Member
Re: squeaking sound from front wheel, pls help
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 02:47:18 AM »
At 25,000 miles it is more than likely to be your front brake pads that are worn.There is an audible wear sensor built into the brake pads but sometimes they behave in the opposite manner and makes a constant squealing noise whilst you are driving (especially when it has just come in contact with the brake discs surface) and disappears when the brakes are applied. I would have them checked out especially if it is the original set of pads that are on the car.

guest2052

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 12:56:55 PM »
thanks a lot for the information!

but i dont understand how it could make that noise when i'm not touching the brakes, does that means the brake pads are touching the disc as i drive along??

I'm not sure if it's the original brake pads since i just got this jazz 1year ago from a honda dealer @ 16000, so i brought a 5yr old 1.4CVT with 16000miles, full honda service history, and i haven't change anything on it since then for the year i've had it so far.

so sounds to me its still on the original pads right?

also how much am I looking at for the front pads to be changed?

Many thanks!

tonytan

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 11:11:22 PM »
brake pads are always constantly touching the brake discs surface gently as you are driving.To replace brake pads at a official Honda Dealership under the Honda Happiness fixed price repair will cost you £95 all in which includes VAT parts and labour.

guest2052

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:39:24 PM »
thanks a lot for your help tony, just gone into kwikfit this morning,
and like you've said it's just due to the worn out brake pad, and the fact that the disc is worn down to 19.15mm isn't helping, so i just got the pads changed for now, and will see what honda say during my service and mot in 2weeks time!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 03:13:01 PM »
Haynes manual says 19mm is minimum thickness for front disc, so yours is still OK.

just a word of warning, if you do think that the disc is too worn or has ridges in etc. always decide BEFORE having new pads fitted if you need a new disc because you should never fit pads that have already been used to either another disc or a new disc because they are no longer parallel and flat like a new pad should be, so they will not work properly on another disc.  So this means if and when new discs are fitted you will have to buy new pads again!
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest2052

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 02:34:52 AM »
thanks a lot! I didn't know that before :(

hopefully it'll pass the mot and honda won't try to make me to get a new disc now . .

then i shall replace both when the disc is worn down to the minimum . .

any ideas how long it will last till 19mm? (its an automatic and i mainly drive in city centre)

many thanks!!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 08:49:55 AM »
The brakes on automatic cars get more use than they do on manual gearbox cars because they don't get the benefit of the engine braking effect like they do on a manual.  As long as the brakes are working OK no-one at the MOT garage is actually going to measure the thickness of the discs are they?  A new disc (from memory) will probably be about 21mm thick.

I have used discs that were slightly below minimum in the past, as long as they were smooth and not warped they are normally OK a mm below spec, they may heat up a bit more during heavy braking but its not something to panic about.  Modern pads (no asbestos) tend to be harder than they were in the past and probably the discs are softer to maintain braking force, normally discs will need to be replaced once to every two pad changes which could be from 60 to 70K on a manual, less on an automatic.

My manual 1.4 SE is just about 80K so I will be fitting new discs and pads soon (as soon as the weather warms up that is!).  On my previous Civic I only replaced the discs at 100K, but then I don't do a lot of city driving,  I am pretty light on the brakes and tend to coast up to islands and junctions.  Just remember if you do use the brakes very lightly all the time you can get a glaze building up on the disc / drum (not so prevalent with the hard pads / soft discs now in use) you may have to occasionally do an 'emergency stop' from a reasonable speed (on an empty road :o) to heat everything up a bit and check that your brakes really will work when you need them.

Enjoy your Jazz and don't get bogged down with the little things :D  But do remember that every time you use the brakes you are wasting the fuel you used to accelerate the car, and the harder you brake the more fuel you are wasting!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 09:30:30 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything