Author Topic: Auto-Folding Side Mirrors on the Jazz  (Read 63118 times)

guest1272

Auto-Folding Side Mirrors on the Jazz
« on: June 02, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »
OK, so here we go with another mod:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/eZJvvInTSZc?hl=en_GB&amp;amp;version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/eZJvvInTSZc?hl=en_GB&amp;amp;version=3</a>

The beauty of it is, that most of the wiring points can be found at the under dash fuse box. Simply wrap the wire around the right hand side (the protected side) of the fuse and it ends up protecting the module and being easy to wire up (the module's wires are in bold - refer to the module wiring picture to see a diagram - refer to the piccie of the fusebox layout to understand the fuses used):

Ground (Black) = into screw that holds the fuse box in place (check it's grounded first, the big silver ones that hold the whole fusebox into place are even though they look like they're screwing into polystyrene).
Perm +ve (Red) = into fuse 43
Acc +ve (Yellow) = into fuse 15
Door Unlock signal pulse (Green) = into fuse 49 (this fuse shows a 12V pulse on door unlock)
Door Lock signal pulse (Blue) = into fuse 35 (this fuse shows a 12V pulse on door lock)

...and the only wires you need to cut are the 2 yellow and grey ones going to and from the manual button (leaving 4 wire "ends"):
Cut the yellow (extend) and grey (retract) wires to the button:
(button side) yellow extend = to manual switch on input on module (Grey)
(button side) grey retract= to manual switch off input on module (White)
(car side) yellow extend= to output for open on module (Brown)
(car side) grey retract= to output for close on module (Orange)

...and that's it. Modules are the 9 wire ones from eBay (all about £20-£30). Type "auto fold mirror module" into eBay and choose a Universal one. It will have it's own 15A fuse as well. I got one like this:

Took about a couple of hours to wire in correctly as I was checking everything with a multimeter as I went, but you could install it in less time once you know what to put where.

Also, the actual manual button still works as it should as the system gets disabled when the car is running (so you can still manually fold them in to squeeze into tight parking spaces and not worry about them extended automatically when you return to the car because you have pushed in the button (to retract) which has also disabled the system).

Overall very cheap and quick to install  ;).

guest3824

• Topic Starter
Re: Auto-Folding Side Mirrors on the Jazz
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 08:09:34 PM »
Kinell lad, you do some boss mods on your car. I look on with envy.

Looks superb

jazzster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.4 Vtec EX CVT
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »
Like that mod might have a go myself, I always forget to fold them, this lets me fold them as I go in my garage tight space.
just looked on eBay did you get yours from China cant seem to find them in the UK, never bought from China before do you have to pay anything to customs
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:55:08 PM by jazzster »

guest3824

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 09:04:57 PM »
Like that mod might have a go myself, I always forget to fold them, this lets me fold them as I go in my garage tight space.
just looked on eBay did you get yours from China cant seem to find them in the UK, never bought from China before do you have to pay anything to customs
customs duties only due for goods over c. £20. Just ask the seller to mark as gift and Mark the value as $25 and you'll be sound.

I wish I was more technically able. Fitting wind deflectors and replacing the gearknob is about my limit of hands on ability.

jazzster

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 10:18:57 PM »
Gaffer,
 just been out to look at fuse box, how did you connect the wire from the switch, does the switch come out or did you find the wire lower down.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 10:57:07 PM by jazzster »

monkeydave

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 68 Plate Jazz S White Orchid Pearl
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 01:26:17 AM »
i would be a bit worried about that when it has been raining and frozen solid, my manual mirrors were very stiff and frozen when i unfolded them last winter and i would hate to think of the stress of an electric motor doing that every time

guest1272

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 03:24:03 PM »
Thanks guys :)

No customs for me, £23 for the module delivered from China.

Re: fuses, anything requiring them, simply wrap the end of the wire around one of the blades of the fuse and push it back into socket. It will be a tiny bit harder to push in but should go in ok.

For my car (which didn't have DRLs) I simply used the empty socket at fuse 15 and added my own 5A fuse there to supply me with Acc +ve. I did this way back when I added the fake alarm LED. I then added to it, so now it provides me with Acc 12v for the alarm LED, my DRLs and this new auto foldong circuit - all low power and all with nil problems (so basically, if you don't have a fuse in position 15, you may have to add your own like I did).

Re: switch - you do not need to remove it at all. Simply pull out the panel below where the headlight adjustment is, then reach up from behind (ooh er) and unplug the wiring harness from behind.
There are a few of wires here because it is also the mirror control, but just find the yellow and grey ones. You may need to remove some of the trunking around it (which is only taped in place). Once done, cut the yellow and grey wires and you'll end up with 4 wire ends, yellow and grey "button side" and yellow and grey "engine side". Connect them up as mentioned above.
I didn't even solder mine together as I wanted the option of reversing it easily if I wanted to - all I did was strip 1/2cm or so from the ends and twist them together with the module wires before taping them up with insulation tape. The module wires are plenty long enough to reach.
In fact, there's so much wire that you can finish by neatly tucking the module and its fuse behind the plastic panel that the fusebox diagram is printed on.

I thought about the risk of frozen wing mirrors myself but seeing as I habitually de-ice most of the time, I just need to remember to do the same for the side mirrors. Plus (I haven't tested this) but apparently the system deactivates if it detects increased strain in the circuit (like continued activations or high resistence). Again, I haven't tested this myself so I'll just have to be more mindful in cold weather.
Alternatively, you can manually deactivate the system by pressing the normal switch (i.e. press as if you wanted to fold them in yourself and you deactivate the circuit - the circuit only works if that manual switch is on) ...so I could just deactivate it in the winter...

EDIT: Just to clarify ...

Car running regardless of switch position = module deactivated (meaning you retain full manual control when driving/parking)

Car off but manual switch off = again, module deactivated (e.g. can do this in winter if worried about ice)

Car off and manual switch on = ONLY time module does anything (so making sure manual switch is on and then getting out of the car (engine off) and it does its auto fold/unfold thing with door lock/unlock)

Sent from my iThingy using Tapathingy

guest1272

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 09:15:23 PM »
^^^ Or, put another way, make sure the switch is on "extend" intially. When you go to the car and unlock it, the wing mirrors will fold out.
When you start the car, the module deactivates.
Whilst driving, if you decide to fold in the mirrors, simply press the button as normal. The system will behave just as it did when stock because the car is on and running.
So if you want to park in a narrow gap, press the button to fold the wing mirrors in as you would normally.
Now get parked up, stop the engine and get out of the car. The beauty of the system is that because you have manually folded the mirrors in with the engine running, you have effectively manually disabled the module so not only will you be able to lock the car with no mirror change but you'll be able to unlock it and get in without the wing mirrors auto-folding out (because you disabled it manually when parking), thus avoiding damage to the mirrors in the tight space you've manoeuvered into.
Now start the car, drive into the open and manually extend the mirrors as normal.
NOW when you stop the car after the end of your journey, it will be off but you've just rearmed the module by manually extending the mirrors, so this time when you lock the car they WILL auto-fold in.

Remember:
Engine ON, Button on Retract = Module disarmed
Engine ON, Button on Extend = Module disarmed
Engine OFF, Button on Retract = Module disarmed
Engine OFF, Button on Extend = Module ARMED

jazzster

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 12:51:11 AM »
ordered module from eBay the other day don't know how long it will take to come, then I just got to fix it in.
Bought 2 * 2 pin connectors so I can  fit them on the folding switch wires then if I sell it or take it in for any warranty work, I can just unplug the module then plug original wires back together, also got some piggy back fuse connectors so I haven't got the wire wrapped around the fuses and hopefully will look neater, might check the piggy back fuses fit ok tomorrow.
Also saw a module for automatic closing of electric windows but not sure if it would work with any other than the auto closing driver side one, plus lots of wiring in.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 10:17:40 PM »
Like that mod might have a go myself, I always forget to fold them,

When I use our Jazz I often seem to park kerbside so need the miiror to check it's OK to exit the car so it's a real pain they don't auto fold.  Mind you, my Merc is the same - MB have chopped and changed whether they auto fold or not over the years.

jazzster

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 01:34:39 PM »
came today 6 days delivery from china is good.
Fitted slightly different with permanent wire to fuse 4 as not enough room for my piggyback fuses on 43.
Seems I got the switch wires mixed up somewhere need to check as the car mirror button works opposite way round. folds mirrors in unfolded position , but remote works fine. will have a look when I have more time tomorrow.

It would be nice if I could find the wire that works the deadlocks as it would close mirrors only when deadlocks were activated, not only giving a indication they are deadlocked but saving the motors on the mirrors if just leaving few minutes.

jazzster

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 02:39:37 PM »
Just swaped white and grey wires to switch round opposite to what you have and it now works fine.
Grey to grey and yellow to white now.
Thought it was switch end because everything else worked and checked wiring with diagram that come with box and seemed yo be wrong way to switch. happy now all ok

guest1272

• Topic Starter
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »
Excellent  :D, glad it worked. The deadlocks must have a fuse in the fusebox so maybe switching the "lock signal" wire from "fuse 35" to the deadlock fuse (which it think is "fuse 45" going by the owners manual - the Super Locking circuit).
Worth giving it a try if you want deadlock folding?

jazzster

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 12:23:51 AM »
think I tried fuse 45 and it was permanent live, need to check again may of got the wrong one.
just need to tidy wires up and fit the module somewhere, got it stuck on the cover below fuse box with Velcro at the moment, just need it to be removable if it ever needs warranty work done.

So second mod done, first was change wipers to flat blades, might do the rear wiper mod when warranty runs out, just to stop the dirt collecting on it. Don't know of anything else other that radio but think it would cost to much and not get much benefit.

guest4621

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 06:31:26 PM »
Cheers Gaffer! Doesn't look too difficult to wire up..

Can anyone confirm if this is the right or is a similar unit?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=141021979987&globalID=EBAY-GB

Just want to double check before I order! Thank you!

Tags: