Author Topic: Forgot to change oil 32.000Km  (Read 1831 times)

mihranportugalyan

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz II 1.2 i-DSI
Forgot to change oil 32.000Km
« on: February 14, 2018, 05:47:40 PM »
I forgot to change my engine oil (synthetic) for 32.000km (58.000-->90.000Km). Didnīt notice anything unusual on my driving and the car seems ok. Could my engine be damaged or anything like that? Do I need any special precaution as of from now? Thank you

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Forgot to change oil 32.000Km
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 07:04:36 PM »
Change the oil and filter and don't worry about it. 20,000 miles without changing the oil is not ideal but specified for some cars. Found this online:
I used to do a lot of work with Total oil and went to a number of conferences and seminars.
The point that was always made is that modern oils are as protective at 50,000 miles as it is at 500 miles.
The variable is the filters and the rubbish that collects in the sump, hence the reason that oil changes are recommended at set mileage intervals and of course the oil companies want to sell oil
Short distance journeys also have a bearing because of the emulsification problem, but that apart, apparently modern oils should be able to do 20,000 miles with ease.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 07:06:39 PM »
+1

Vic.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 07:35:34 PM »
If you pull dipstick out and rub the oil between thumb and finger you can feel that it is pretty slippery when new but as it gets more mileage it starts to feel more sticky than slippery. All sorts of acidic and carbon combustion products get hoovered up by the oil and the buffers do wear out. 

Nothing you can do now except change the oil and keep going, worse things have happened.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:50:37 AM »
Best to provide more details , did your drive for over or under 12 months without a oil change?
Long or short journeys in town or motorway?
When you drain the oil examine the bottom of the container - most likely. you'll be fine.

When you have time change the oil filter Honda & use a quality oil change both in line with Honda recommendations.
Boa Sorte!

guest5079

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 08:57:19 AM »
A young Lady we know bought a MK1 After about a years ownership while at Alton Towers, on coming back to the car and found a pool of oil under the car. It was the oil filter had rusted through. Clearly no servicing done for a very long time. She lives in the St Austell area of Cornwall and works in Launceston. The car was then serviced and still going well with some 100,000 miles plus. If you missed a service I suggest being a Honda engine it will cope.
As Jocko says given that there are no nasties in the oil it should be fine especially as the oil was synthetic.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 10:21:40 AM »
Best to provide more details , did your drive for over or under 12 months without a oil change?
Long or short journeys in town or motorway?
When you drain the oil examine the bottom of the container - most likely. you'll be fine.
Not a great deal of point. It is done. No point in worrying about it.

MicktheMonster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 jazz 1.3S, 2009 Civic 2.2D SE
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 02:00:19 PM »
Should be fine, as long as it was driving ok, then filter was still operating fine, any detritus in the sump will stay there or get caught in the filter, as stated above, modern oils are capable of much higher miles.
My last two cars both had 20,000 mile oil change intervals, both fine, one was a diesel vectra that went onto 160,000 before scrapped, engine was still fine, car fell apart around it. (pulled like a steam train).
There's a post on Honda karma about a jazz that hadn't been serviced for 4 years, once done it was fine (look under "severe service" on hondakarma.com , might put your mind at rest.

Tags: