Author Topic: Starting car with door key when Alarm sounds  (Read 6245 times)

guest7494

Starting car with door key when Alarm sounds
« on: February 15, 2018, 07:55:17 PM »
Hello fellow Jazzers,this is my first posting on the forum so please be gentle.
Because the battery was duff in my remote control whilst in the local car park,I opened door with the key and alarm sounds and not able to start car. How would it be possible to start engine and drive home.Any info gratefully received Many thanks

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Starting car with door key when Alarm sounds
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 10:42:40 AM »
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8641.msg44419#msg44419

replace the battery in keyfob,  they are easy to get ( B & Q or Halfords probably stock them,  or even Argos or Tesco sometimes).

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 11:30:14 AM »
Thank you Culzean for your very kind reply,
However the scenario described was late at night and some distance from home.I am aware that renewing the battery solves the problem.But in this situation that was not possible.
I am really just amazed that the Honda Honchos have not thought of this scenario occurring somewhere at sometime as it has with me and no doubt will occur with other Jazzers in time to come.
My previous Mazda 3  was able to be started in this situation.Why do Honda supply a key within the key fob if you are unable to move the car.
If it is pouring with rain as it was, all you are able to do is sit in it with the alarm sounding every time you move.
This appears to me a lack of forethought in design, what has happened to keys as they used to be, put one in the hole and turn it simple, car starts and away we go.
Just to much complication these days.
but thank you for your advice.
If there is an answer to this situation I would like to know, so if any of you more knowledgeable than I members can help, I'm listening as Frazier would say.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 11:45:14 AM »
Is the car alarm an aftermarket one ? I have never had a car with an alarm (it will normally drain the battery on standby in less than 2 weeks).  We have car and house alarms sounding so often by us that no-one even bothers to look anymore. 

I have opened my cars fitted with immobiliser with a key and been able to start them no problem, cannot understand why alarm went off.

I renew fob batteries when I first get a car and about every 2 years after - they are not expensive and just part of normal preventative maintenance like changing oil and filters IMHO - but I guess the dealer will rarely do it unless asked and then ££'s.  May be even more need to keep a good battery in fobs if alarm fitted.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 12:20:48 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 01:13:20 PM »
Placing the H logo of the fob against the start button and pushing start is the fallback way to start some models when there is no fob battery. Should hopefully silence an alarm.
--
TG

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 01:35:44 PM »
Hello Culzean.
It is the bog standard  keyless entry Mk3 Jazz EX  66 plate  with push button start  keyless entry purchased in November last  with 4000 miles on clock used as a customer try out,with alarm and imobilser as fitted by Honda,
If go outside now  and go to the car  and open with key alarm,sounds as soon as door opens.
I then tear indoors to get the
 key fob press shut door and press lock all quiet alarm reset. I of course seperated the fob from key which now of course has a NEW battery as a test situation.
So alarm and immobiliser are working as Honda Intended.
I still do not understand the purpose of a key integrated with fob if you cannot get car started if battery naff in the fob
I will test the brain power of Honda Experts !!? when it goes in for first service next week.
I will of course do as you suggest with regular battery replacement,but as you will now know the situation It was not expected by me on such a  nearly new low mileage car.
Thanks again for your time.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 01:57:09 PM »
I believe if the battery is flat and you hold it near to the button, then it should still work.  Not tried that though.

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 02:11:07 PM »
Hi Colin S
I will keep that  in mind it is worth a try,but at the moment a new Battery in situ and the old Naff one has been disposed off so cannot try out the the suggestion,but I wished I had thought of that at the time.
Good idea though.
many thanks.

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 03:23:28 PM »
A very big thank you to everybody for the input and suggestions  regarding my dilemma,what a wonderful source of knowledge you all have,
thank you all.
Jaffa Jazz ,guess the colour ???

guest4871

• Topic Starter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 03:53:33 PM »
Not a Mk3 but a Mk 2.

I found that when I opened the drivers door with the key blade in the hole, the alarm went off until I put the key in the ignition.

This was so unexpected I haven't done it since.

As I know what will happen if ever I have to use the key, it has not bothered me.

Is it normal for it to do this?

If so what is the logic/ reason for this being dilberately set up this way?

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 04:30:06 PM »
Not a Mk3 but a Mk 2.

I found that when I opened the drivers door with the key blade in the hole, the alarm went off until I put the key in the ignition.

This was so unexpected I haven't done it since.

As I know what will happen if ever I have to use the key, it has not bothered me.

Is it normal for it to do this?

If so what is the logic/ reason for this being dilberately set up this way?

I can understand that alarm may go off when using key as there is no transponder in door lock to sense the chip in key ?  where there is a pick up in the ignition switch to deactivate the immobiliser.

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2018, 07:48:06 PM »
I have just come across this https://www.hondacarindia.com/ownersmanual/webom/eng/jazz/2016/details/106278046-241081.html#_106_2780_46.241082
Although it Is Honda India it is jolly interesting reading especially about starting car with weak or flat battery in key fob
Thank you again to all who posted comments for me regarding my original post.

Tags:

anything