Author Topic: Car heater  (Read 3705 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Car heater
« on: February 06, 2018, 09:52:52 AM »
I must be one of the few motorists in the UK who seldom use their heater. I used to, but since buying the Jazz, with its blue low coolant temperature warning light, I have stopped.
I found that by leaving the heater set to Red, the warning light took considerably longer to go out, and in my search for better fuel consumption I turned it to Blue until the light went out. I then found it was a pain remembering to turn it back to Blue when I put car away, and as most of my trips are short I just left it set for cold. Car very quickly warms up with a couple of bodies in it.
When my wife gets in the car for a longer trip, the first thing she does is strips her outdoor clothing off, so I have to use the heater then, but for short journeys or when I am in the car myself I never bother.
I always keep my outdoor clothing on in the car. I have this fear of being trapped in the car after an accident and though being unhurt I freeze uncomfortably, waiting on them to get me out. Irrational, but a possibility.
Just the same as I always empty my bladder before going on a car journey, as I am aware that a full bladder can increase the risk of injury in an accident due to "hydraulic lock" (same as water in a cylinder).

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
Re: Car heater
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 10:36:41 AM »
Hi Jocko
I cannot drive wearing outdoor clothing and only feel comfortable driving when I have removed it.
I find outdoor clothing restrictive and when the car gets warm too hot.
I like you always visit the bathroom before going on any sort of journey, as I travel the country for work I have a mental note of the service stations on the motorways that are a) easy to enter and exit from and b) those at the extreme bladder range.
Now I'm having radiotherapy for prostate cancer the range issue is the highest priority.
I have a hoodie and now know why people drive with the hood UP, it's because down it pushes the back of the neck and shoulders into uncomfortable positions, so that also has to come off!
I park on my drive and have to have the heater on and fan blowing when I start on winters morning to stop the frost from re-freezing as I scrape it off. I take it you must park in a garage which helps and also gives a greater ambient temperature for when you start up.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 11:16:36 AM »
Yes, car is always garaged overnight, but it is remote to the house so isn't warm. Still, it's not freezing!

guest5079

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 03:11:15 PM »
Nothing really to do with the heater but John Always comments about the scurge of men and the problem of available toilets.
Both my Wife and I have a 'I can't wait card' it's free and we have both had to use them and in each and every case have received unreserved help.
Hopefully the contact is still the same. On the card it states call Incontact  0870 770 3246 or visit www.incontact.org
The other help is a Radar key, not that the toilets that the key fits are numerous. These are bought from local authorities for a few pounds.

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 06:51:15 PM »
Hi Auntyneddy
I have a card from Macmillan but not had to use it. Just returned from Day 11 radio therapy, only 26 to go.  ;D

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 07:46:28 PM »
Just returned from Day 11 radio therapy, only 26 to go.  ;D

You have my sympathies, John.

I am recovering, from a recent. Very, "enthusiastic", cystoscopy.

Thankfully, through the pain. I heard him say. "It's not cancer".......  :)
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

guest5079

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2018, 10:48:44 AM »
I use my heater all the time. As it's climate control it sorts itself out. Now I am very fortunate that at the age I have attained my water works are only affected by my 'barmy' pills which cause my kidneys a headache and so I have to take Duiretics? and they are a nuisance as when one has to one has to go. However I know I am fortunate, that touch wood, I don't have the usual problem that late septuagenarians do.
Good luck to you all suffering the delights of treatment.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2018, 01:09:11 PM »
My heater is always set to Auto Climate Control and dosen't kick in anyway until the blue light has gone out. This stops the system from blowing cold air, until the engine has warmed up.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 01:13:54 PM »
All you guys with your "high tech". I have a heater, a fan, and a distribution control. About the lowest tech you can get!
At least my waterworks still works as it should!!!

jazzway

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2010 — 1.4 iShift Elegance — Storm Silver — GG3 L13Z2 3rd gen.
Car heater
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 05:09:02 PM »
Before this Jazz we drove a low-tech old Peugeot for 15 years. It was basic to the bone and the only luxury it had was the enormous space (a van) which came in handy with garden maintenance. Now we enjoy the climate control which keeps summer heat outside, warms up in the winter and keeps the windows crystal clear. And that all with one button. We have it and we use it!

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 06:20:38 PM »
I had a couple of 1950 Fords which had a recirculating heater and that was your lot. The thing was, the heater came as an OPTIONAL EXTRA, when the car was new!
I loved my heated seats on the Volvo though, and the air con was on constantly.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2018, 08:44:40 PM »
I had a couple of 1950 Fords which had a recirculating heater and that was your lot. The thing was, the heater came as an OPTIONAL EXTRA, when the car was new!
I loved my heated seats on the Volvo though.

I remember, a pal bought a new, base model, Anglia. Around 1964. He took the heater from his dad's old, Prefect....

I love my heated seats! Just wish they could be warm, from the moment we get in. Not, warming after a few minutes....
David.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2018, 10:07:55 PM »
I love my heated seats! Just wish they could be warm, from the moment we get in. Not, warming after a few minutes....
Need an EV for that.

Dayjo

• Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2018, 10:22:17 PM »
Need an EV for that.
Having the seats electrified..... £260. Buying an EV.... £££?

Nah!!
David.

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2018, 06:13:01 AM »
But your £260 doesn't give you the option of having the seats warm when you first get in, An EV allows that (or some do)!!!

Tags:

anything