Author Topic: Dunlop SP2030 tyres - excessive wear on inside edge and cracking between treads  (Read 143972 times)

guest1472

Morning all...

I have a 2009 EX 1.4, which needs a new front pair of boots. I was very impressed with the Avon ZZ3s on my Saab 9-5, and wanted to put them on my Jazz, but they don't do them in Jazz sizes (185/55/16). What recommendations do you have? I prefer grip (especially wet) to mileage (I do 8,000 miles max a year, but drive rather hard), and am not adverse to changing tyre size so long as I do not compromise safety.

Thanks

guest1128

can we use 205/50/16 instead of 185/55/16

guest869

I am a big fan of Michelin and they are always my first choice of tyre.

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
Due to a major tracking (alignment) error caused by my sliding the car into a kerb in the December snow, I had front tyres with minimal tread on the inside edge of the tyre. Shopping around, I found that I had only two choices: replace the original Dunlop tyres with exact replacements or to get some Continentals. There wasn't much difference in the price. As my rear tyres were barely legal too, I decided to replace the lot with (hopefully) harder wearing Continentals. I also got the tracking fixed at the same time (not worth it putting on new tyres if I didn't). The cost was £350 for the four tyres and £40 for the alignment.

eljuero

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Comfort

There are almost the same size (0,2%) so I guess, yes but what will you gain?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:39:44 PM by eljuero »
100+1 HP

guest1128

There are almost the same size (0,2%) so I guess, yes but what will you gain?

Believe me its almost impossible to find a 185 55 16 tyre here. Only  you can find bridgestone ER370 (already stock tyres) on order and some stupid korean or chinese tyres .

But 205 50 16 is commoner, you can find them from well known brands.

believe me again but 205 50 16 is far more cheap than 185 55 16 here..

wider tyres look nicer IMO.

Finally im no expert but I think wider tyres increase high speed stability and cornering stability ..Am I right?

eljuero

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 Comfort
Believe me its almost impossible to find a 185 55 16 tyre here. Only  you can find bridgestone ER370 (already stock tyres) on order and some stupid korean or chinese tyres .

But can you put 205/50/16 on 16J alloys?

wider tyres look nicer IMO.

True (I even have 175/65/15   :-X)

Finally im no expert but I think wider tyres increase high speed stability and cornering stability ..Am I right?
Generaly I agree but I don't believe this would be the case with Jazz, at least not much. But wider tyres (and bigger alloys) will reduce jazz mpg economy.
100+1 HP

guest1128

But can you put 205/50/16 on 16J alloys?

This is the point I forgot...ill search this

guest1243

Formula 1 Autocentre: Dunlop Fast Response £85 each. Continentals the same price. Fully fitted.

guest1243

Below is a bit of reaserching I have done on tyre prices as a rough guide the load index varies between 83 aand 87.   

185x55x16R H 83 Original size         
Company   Tyre Make          H/V Rated   Price each £   
Black Circles
             Continental Contact 2          V               94.79    
   Bridgestone ER370               V      96.93                                
   Yokohama C Drive               V      85.53                      
   Bridgestone ER370               H      96.93                          

eTyres   
             Bridgestone ER300               V      84.3                            
   Falken ZE912               V      84.9                  
   Continental Contact 2         V               104                
   Continental Contact 2         H               100.2                              
   Dunlop SP2030               H     100.9                                

Tyre Shopper
   Continental Contact Premium   H      87                              
   Bridgestone ER370   H                   91                                
   Dunlop SP2030   H                   87                                    
   Dunlop Sport Maxx   H                   88                                          
   Dunlop SP Fast response H                  105                              
   Yokohama C Drive   V                   87                              
   Continental Contact Premium   V      94.9   
   Dunlop SP Fast response   V     101   

Kwik Fit   
             Continental Contact Premium   H      81.7   

Mobi Tyres
             Continental Contact Premium   H      81.78   

ATS   
            Continental Contact Premium   H      95.96   
            Pirelli H                                              99.96   

My Tyres   
            Dunlop SP2030 H                                 93.11   

Hi Q   
           Dunlop SP2030 H                                 88.63   
           Dunlop SP Fast response H                    89.7   

Tyre Express   
          Dunlop SP Fast response   H      87.38   
          Continental Contact Premium   H      88.25   
          Bridgestone ER370   H                   90.37   

National Tyres   
          Dunlop SP2030                H      99.16   
          Continental Contact Premium   H      99.16   
          Yokohama C Drive   V                   93.36   
          Continental Contact 2   V                  108.32   
          Dunlop SP Fast response   V     115.4   

Formula 1   
         Dunlop SP Fast response   V      85   

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
I am a big fan of Michelin and they are always my first choice of tyre.

They don't do any model of tyre in the 185/55/16 size needed.

Our Jazz has Dunlop SP2030's and they seem fine.

guest1521

First service almost due and at almost one year/8500 miles car is... almost perfect. Very pleased with it. However...

The WINDSCREEN WIPERS have a 'mechanical buzzing' noise within their mechanism. Was intermittent - some days there, other days not at all. Increasingly constant now and loud enough to be annoying at 'around town' speeds.

INSIDE EDGE FRONT TYRES: The inside edge/shoulder - just the first inch - of the original fit Dunlops  is wearing at about double the rate of the rest of the tread. Passenger side tyre not as bad as driver's side, but still not good. The rest of the tread and outer edges of both tyres are wearing as I'd expect - evenly and no sign of scrubbing.

Anyone with a 2009/2010 Jazz with noisy windscreen wiper mechanism? (It's not noisy blade on glass.)
Or uneven front tyre wear as described above? If so, what was the outcome under warranty?

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
INSIDE EDGE FRONT TYRES: The inside edge/shoulder - just the first inch - of the original fit Dunlops  is wearing at about double the rate of the rest of the tread. Passenger side tyre not as bad as driver's side, but still not good. The rest of the tread and outer edges of both tyres are wearing as I'd expect - evenly and no sign of scrubbing.
That'll be the wheel tracking (alignment) that's out. It doesn't take much to do that: going over a proud manhole cover might do it, or taking a bad line over a speed cushion. Most tyre fitting workshops can realign the wheels for about £40-ish.

Garyman

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 ES
My windscreen wiper have been fine- no noise whatsoever, and I have been using that A LOT recently with the crappy weather we've been having.

As for the tyre wear- take it to your local garage that has wheel tracking (alignment) facilities as suggested by IvyTek as it sounds like your tracking is out.

guest1521

Thanks for your replies. Overall, I can only describe this little car as magnificent.

Yeah, I'm aware that tracking/alignment can be knocked out of line as nowster describes. However I'm pretty certain nothing has been 'hit' hard enough to do that and I'm among the most conservative of drivers over speed bumps/cushions.

I'm also aware that, on any car, front wheel alignment can be set to enhance certain handling/cornering and steering characteristics. There have been some reports of Jazz/'Fit' (in some overseas markets) wandering at the straight-ahead requiring constant small twitching of the steering wheel to maintain the line. A slight adjustment to front wheel alignment can resolve this... at the expense of tyre wear.

It may well be that alignment has taken a 'knock' as nowster suggests in which case I'll  just have to 'wear' it. £40 to fix it is no big deal, but if the car wanders off line after that...

So I'm  wondering if others have front tyres wearing unduly on the first half to one inch on the inside edge...

Tags:

anything