Author Topic: Help with information on Car Breakdown Insurance  (Read 8240 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Re: Help with information on Car Breakdown Insurance
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2017, 11:17:06 AM »
Some breakdown services charge an excess or impose a call out limit per year.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 09:34:41 AM »
Sorry I should have done an update. In the end I chose GEM after checking out ALL the suggestions. They answered my queries by return and it seems they cover all that the big two do. I see they impose a £70 max on lost keys or keys locked in a car, wrong fuel being put in the car.( can you do that in the UK?) After all the diesel pump handle is BLACK. My Wife always carries her set of keys in her constant companion called a handbag ( to me it's more like a removal van having had to carry it when she broke her collar bone) and I have the other set. Because she is my carer it is unlikely we will be without keys. All else is comparable with others. Unfortunately it is driver cover and not vehicle cover which pushed the price up a little bit having to pay extra for my Wife. swings and roundabouts it seems a reasonable deal and all I hope is we never need it.

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 06:39:50 PM »
When was the last time you put the wrong fuel or lost your keys? I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as GEM turns up quickly.

Also if you ever change your car, at least you wouldn't have to pay admin charge as it covers the person.

I have been with them for 6 yrs now and no problems. Remember to refer your friends to them and you will get £20 M and S vouchers.

Finally, do call them up for a better price when renewal comes round next year. Good thing is that if you are not satisfied with their service, you can change to another company.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 02:42:29 PM »
Thanks for cheering me up, I could certainly do with it. I only mentioned the fuel and key business as that seemed the only caveat. After the AA and RAC debacle your words have really helped.
Yesterday was one of my classics. OFF SUBJECT
We have a very narrow bridge locally and it cuts about 4 miles off a journey. It has a width restriction which the greater unwashed appear to try and ignore. Devon County Council after the 'N th' rebuild put H section RSJ's in the piers. Doesn't stop the idiots trying. Yesterday came over bridge and carefully negotiated some herbary sticking our unfortunately there was a piece of stone in it BANG. N/S mirror stayed where it was but I thought 'touch up' Further up the road along came one of my favourites.No peripheral vision. Started sawing his steering wheel from side to side so I got over as far as I could 'BANG' O/S mirror splatted against the side of the car. I pulled as one has to, did matey did he hell. So I walked back and picked up  my mirror glass which was still intact but I could not find the skull cover. His and other parts over the road. Went back to the car and there was said skull still attached so I suppose I was lucky in that respect just some touching in. Why do people persist in driving a car if they don't know it's width. The times I see people younger than me ( not difficult) that panic when a car comes towards them in a narrow road. It even happens on A roads and I can only think they have defective eyesight.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 06:08:30 PM »
It even happens on A roads and I can only think they have defective eyesight.

I lost a mirror on my first Civic on a 40mph road with a white line in centre (over 5.5metres wide).  The dear lady coming in other direction showed no sign of putting her offside wheel on her side of the centre white line and I was stopped with my near side wheels in the hedge when her mirror hit mine, she hardly slowed down at all from 40 when she clashed mirrors, she must have had a metre between her wheels and edge of her side of road. She just drove on after the incident,  probably didn't even realise we had bumped mirrors.  I can still see in my mind her white knuckles gripping the steering wheel.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

123Drive!

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 1.4 ES i-Shift
« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2017, 12:13:21 AM »
My pupil hit the right mirror, or the other person hit us, the evening before his Driving test! So in dark and heavy traffic, I managed to pick up the bits and got home to assemble everything together. Unfortunately the glass has to be replaced but everything else seems ok if not cracked or scratched. But the indicator light didn't work after fitting. Luckily the test was at 12:30 and my local dealer was able to supply the right parts in time. I got the cover from eBay later and spray it to my right colour.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 02:55:40 PM »
What ticks me off is this cavalier attitude that prevails over mirrors. There seems to be general idea that colliding mirrors is not an accident, If an accident occurs ( yes I know there is a different phraseology ) and damage is sustained the driver MUST stop and exchange details or report it and produce his documents within 24hrs, yer in your dreams try and find a police station open. BUT if you don't it counts a failing to stop failing to report. After about 10pm at night would really bring the pains on as the courts would assume drink was involved. Unfortunately the constabulary don't think a smashed mirror counts, well wait till one of those goes to his Honda dealer to have his mirror replaced perhaps then after a bill for well in excess of £300 might change his mind.
I am fortunate I can do it myself BUT the old lady in a supermarket car park with a Jazz less than 6 mths old must  have had  one hell of a fright when she approached her Honda dealer, she had both mirrors smashed beyond repair. I can hear it know well it's not that badly damaged can't you just stick it back together. One of my specials with no spacial ability.

Tags:

anything