Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 694663 times)

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #645 on: December 12, 2017, 06:39:04 PM »
Power in Scotland is little use in South England # due to transmission losses.. and the potential for tidal flow power in England is rather limited..

# majority of population..and relevant if all vehicles were powered by electricity...

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #646 on: December 12, 2017, 07:45:03 PM »
This is the 2MW turbine I was talking about earlier

http://www.scotrenewables.com/technology-development/sr2000

Power in Scotland is little use in South England # due to transmission losses.. and the potential for tidal flow power in England is rather limited.

Other countries transmit power over greater distances, it's all about having the right infrastructure to support it, as I said earlier. Here in the UK, we will soon be building a 1400MW, 400 mile electricity interconnector between Peterhead and Norway. Around the South of the UK, there are many potentially significant tidal power (not wave) sites in the Irish Sea, the South West and on the South coast, and there will be many other sites with improved technology.

We may be some time away from a significant contribution from tidal power, but I still think it will be a big part of the future. They estimate that we have 50% of Europe's tidal energy potential around the UK shores.

The main reason everyone has gone big for solar and wind is because the technology is mature, and it's easy and cheap to install capacity. The drawbacks are the obvious intermittent nature, though storage and grid connections over greater distances can solve some of the problems - there has to be wind somewhere.

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #647 on: December 12, 2017, 09:34:20 PM »
The amount of energy inherent in moving 1m^3 of water 1m along is pretty high compared to wind, the pull on my boat mooring is pretty strong nearly all the time - it's only static very briefly before the tide turns and it's racing past again but the biggest issue with anything in contact with seawater is corrosion and contamination (barnacles!).  Although I'm in favour I fear the local oyster farms would not be happy with a tidal barrage across the river.  My version would involve flooding / draining riverside basins, but that would upset the farmers / landowners.
--
TG

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #648 on: December 12, 2017, 10:08:54 PM »
The amount of energy inherent in moving 1m^3 of water 1m along is pretty high compared to wind, the pull on my boat mooring is pretty strong nearly all the time - it's only static very briefly before the tide turns and it's racing past again but the biggest issue with anything in contact with seawater is corrosion and contamination (barnacles!).  Although I'm in favour I fear the local oyster farms would not be happy with a tidal barrage across the river.  My version would involve flooding / draining riverside basins, but that would upset the farmers / landowners.
--
TG

water is about 800 x denser than air -
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #649 on: December 12, 2017, 10:51:37 PM »
the biggest issue with anything in contact with seawater is corrosion and contamination (barnacles!).
The units they use up here are free standing, and the turbines just jack up out of the water for servicing.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #650 on: December 12, 2017, 10:53:29 PM »
Top Gear test of the Tesla Model S. Surprised how positive they were about it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHhZ9jk-DrU

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #651 on: December 15, 2017, 02:16:31 PM »

+1

Where are the Brexit supporters who did any sums except those which showed we would save "£18B" a year by leaving. None of them told us there would be a charge to leave  - latest estimate £40B.

There are lots of people stupid enough to believe what politicians say : reality suggests a healthy dose of scepticism couple with a demand to show the evidence for any claim is far more sensible .

a bit off topic, but just got to share this......(we really need a joke of the day thread on this site).

Brexit explained.

Dave Davis is at the golf club returning his locker key when Mr Barnier, the membership secretary sees him.

"Hello Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier. "I'm sorry to hear you are no longer renewing your club membership, if you would like to come to my office we can settle your account”.

"I have settled my bar bill." says Mr Davis.

"Ah yes Mr Davis", says Mr Barnier, "but there are other matters that need settlement.”

In Mr Barniers office -
Mr Davis explains that he has settled his bar bill so wonders what else he can possibly owe the Golf Club?

"Well Mr Davis" begins Mr Barnier, "you did agree to buy one of our Club Jackets”.
"Yes" agrees Mr Davis "I did agree to buy a jacket but I haven't received it yet". "As soon as you supply the jacket I will send you a cheque for the full amount”.

"That will not be possible" explains Mr Barnier. "As you are no longer a club member you will not be entitled to buy one of our jackets"!

"But you still want me to pay for it" exclaims Mr Davis.
"Yes" says Mr Barnier, "That will be £500 for the jacket. There is also your bar bill".
"But I've already settled my bar bill" says Mr Davis. "Yes" says Mr Barnier, "but as you can appreciate, we need to place our orders from the Brewery in advance to ensure our bar is properly stocked". "You regularly used to spend at least £50 a week in the bar so we have placed orders with the brewery accordingly for the coming year. You therefore owe us £2600 for the

year".
"Will you still allow me to have these drinks?" asks Mr Davis. "No of course not Mr Davis". "You are no longer a club member!" says Mr Barnier. "Next is your restaurant bill" continues Mr Barnier. "In the same manner we have to make arrangements in advance with our catering suppliers". "Your average restaurant bill was in the order of £300 a month, so we'll require payment of £3600 for the next year". "I don't suppose you'll be letting me have these meals either" asks Mr Davis. "No, of course not" says an irritated Mr Barnier, "you are no longer a club member!”

"Then of course" Mr Barnier continues, "there are repairs to the clubhouse roof".
"Clubhouse roof" exclaims Mr Davis, "What's that got to do with me?"
"Well it still needs to be repaired and the builders are coming in next week", your share of the bill is £2000”.

"I see" says Mr Davis, "anything else?".
"Now you mention it" says Mr Barnier, "there is Fred the Barman's pension". "We would like you to pay £5 a week towards Fred's pension when he retires next month". "He's not well you know so I doubt we'll need to ask you for payment for longer than about five years, so £1300 should do it”.

"This brings your total bill to £10,000" says Mr Barnier.

"Let me get this straight" says Mr Davis, "you want me to pay £500 for a jacket you won't let me have, £2600 for beverages you won't let me drink and £3600 for food you won't let me eat, all under a roof I won't be allowed under and not served by a bloke who's going to retire next month!”

"Yes, it's all perfectly clear and quite reasonable" says Mr Barnier.

"P off!" says Mr Davis
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 02:28:04 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #652 on: December 15, 2017, 09:32:16 PM »
Tesla posted US$620,000,000 loss for 2017 third quarter. This is on top of first quarter loss of $400,000,000  and second quarter loss of $397,000,000 ....Not bad for a company that does not make many vehicles.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimcollins/2017/10/03/teslas-core-business-is-bleeding-cash-and-the-model-3-is-not-speeding-to-the-rescue/#39af9abc4695

GM and Ford doing well......
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 10:54:58 AM by culzean »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #653 on: December 16, 2017, 11:28:35 AM »
Just watched "Fully Charged" first proper review of the new Nissan Leaf V2.0, and it looks excellent. Looks like a Jazz/Civic cross! And the Leaf Nismo hot hatch could be the dogs doo dahs.

Here is the link to the video. Not recommended for "Daily Mail" readers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOJyiKy0MOQ

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #654 on: December 16, 2017, 12:43:05 PM »
Not recommended for "Daily Mail" readers.

;D

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #655 on: December 16, 2017, 04:04:55 PM »
Nissan Leaf V2.0 Nismo.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #656 on: December 16, 2017, 06:08:21 PM »
Good Fully Charged video on the new Leaf Jocko. I have heard that real world range of 200 might be a tad optimistic - it would require careful driving - but I've also heard that no compromise 150 (near zero temps, climate control set to 22 degrees, 70 mph) will be easily do-able. A no compromise 250 likely on the 2019 model.

Done an extra lotto ticket tonight! ;D

guest1372

• Topic Starter
« Reply #657 on: December 16, 2017, 06:35:54 PM »
That Leaf is a bit Civic front & Prius rear....

Went to a new Lidl today and they have a charging bay sensibly placed in the middle of the car park.  Serves up to 6 bays (3 each side) from 3 outlets.  Sensible not to put it by the door where random cars will block it, plus not against a wall so both sides can reach it.  Just a single Renault Zoe on charge from the ecar (Europcar) pay as you go fleet.  Not sure if one type of plug is more popular than others but the different leads had ratings of 43, 46 & 46kW.  That seems to give you a 25% charge during a 30 minute shop.
--
TG

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #658 on: December 17, 2017, 10:56:02 AM »
It's surprising how many public charging points are popping up, but some of them are in some pretty obscure places.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #659 on: December 26, 2017, 12:41:59 PM »

Just prodding to see if this thread has any life in it lol.

Excellent video from Aussie Petrol Head John Cadogan. Warning - bad language and insults used liberally. What I like about Cadogan is he is as scathing about Climate Change Deniers as he is about the green campaigners. As he says - man made global warming is there like Mount Everest is there and it's the biggest problem we face. Coal being, in Australia, a massive contributor and he also derides people who think we can have clean coal - we can't.

But he has a real go at Tesla and other electric car buyers who seem to think that EVs are some sort of panacea. An entertaining watch but prepared to be offended if you are either a man made climate change denier OR a green.

Tags:

anything