Author Topic: Electric cars  (Read 693941 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Electric cars
« Reply #630 on: December 11, 2017, 05:04:19 PM »
Invest in Green Energy - and double up by investing in non Green energy to cater for the 50% of the time Green does not work

Policy of muppets.

It is well known in energy industry that for every renewable source it needs 100% backup from reliable source (coal, gas, nuclear)  so what exactly is the point ?
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #631 on: December 11, 2017, 06:19:44 PM »
It is well known in energy industry that for every renewable source it needs 100% backup from reliable source (coal, gas, nuclear)  so what exactly is the point ?

Not every renewable. I will never understand why there isn't more effort put into tidal turbines.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #632 on: December 12, 2017, 10:18:04 AM »
What would you say to a 2, 4 or 5 seater EV, up to 300 km range (22kWh battery), from €14,900? And Swedish to boot. Due on the shelves next year.

https://www.uniti.earth/order/

I quote from the ad "Up to 300km range (22kWh battery)"

1km to 25km on a cold day falls within that ad.

Meaningless claptrap.

I quote from the ad " From 14.900€ "

100,000 Euros falls within the ad.

More meaningless claptrap.

Next they will tell us "costs from 0.0001 Euro per Km to run"

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #633 on: December 12, 2017, 10:19:57 AM »

Not every renewable. I will never understand why there isn't more effort put into tidal turbines.

Trouble is tidal flow has 12.5 hour cycle and peaks move every day, so although tidal power is more predictable than wind and solar it will rarely match daily peaks in power requirements - so then again storage is required,  which puts the cost up - also tidal is expensive to build and maintenance is difficult and expensive - maybe answers the question why there is not more tidal being built - solar and wind are relatively cheap, and in my book the saying about 'you get what you pay for' applies LOL
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:15:58 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #634 on: December 12, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »
What would you say to a 2, 4 or 5 seater EV, up to 300 km range (22kWh battery), from €14,900? And Swedish to boot. Due on the shelves next year.

https://www.uniti.earth/order/

I quote from the ad "Up to 300km range (22kWh battery)"

1km to 25km on a cold day falls within that ad.

Meaningless claptrap.

I quote from the ad " From 14.900€ "

100,000 Euros falls within the ad.

More meaningless claptrap.

Next they will tell us "costs from 0.0001 Euro per Km to run"

'Doing a Tesla' - they are hyping up to get advanced sales - looks like car designed by Ikea + Lego  (wonder if it comes in a kit you have to assemble yourself).  Wonder where you put your shopping?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 10:56:22 AM by culzean »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #635 on: December 12, 2017, 10:39:07 AM »
Invest in Green Energy - and double up by investing in non Green energy to cater for the 50% of the time Green does not work

Policy of muppets.

Because one day there will be no coal, gas or oil.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #636 on: December 12, 2017, 10:53:42 AM »

Policy of muppets.

Because one day there will be no coal, gas or oil.

There is still loads of fossil fuel,  enough to last humans until overpopulation, disease (we blew antibiotics by giving them to battery farm animals - may not get another chance) and land degradation marks the end of our time on Earth,  about another 100 years   :-X

The Sahara desert used to be lush and green until humans moved in with their domesticated animals and overused / overgrazed the fragile land - that is the future of most of the land on Earth
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 11:15:18 AM by culzean »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #637 on: December 12, 2017, 12:33:33 PM »
Trouble is tidal flow has 12.5 hour cycle and peaks move every day, so although tidal power is more predictable than wind and solar it will rarely match daily peaks in power requirements

That would only be relevant if you had all your turbines in one spot - tides and tidal flows peak at different times around the UK, and these peaks are spread evenly throughout that 12.5 hour cycle. Additionally, bear in mind that maximum tidal flow occurs at twice the frequency of the tides, so maximum flow occurs effectively at half that period.

There  is an immense amount of energy in tidal flows, and a network of tidal turbines could provide continuous base load electricity with suitable infrastructure - that's exactly where wind and solar fall down.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:29:52 PM by sparky Paul »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #638 on: December 12, 2017, 12:53:56 PM »
A network of tidal turbines could provide continuous base load electricity with suitable infrastructure.
That is what they are currently doing in Orkney.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #639 on: December 12, 2017, 12:55:36 PM »
The Sahara desert used to be lush and green until humans moved in with their domesticated animals and overused / overgrazed the fragile land - that is the future of most of the land on Earth
At least we'll no hae far to go to the beach.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #640 on: December 12, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »
That is what they are currently doing in Orkney.

I've seen the test rigs up on Eday which feed into the "Surf'n'Turf" project to hydrogen power the internal ferries whilst in dock, it's a small but very impressive demonstration of the various technologies.

The latest floating turbine being tested is really impressive - this single device has been able to reliably produce 7% of Orkney's total electricity needs, and over 25% for short periods.

I still think that tidal power offers the best long term solution, with improved storage technology for peak usage. They are currently building 200MW of battery storage into the grid, 49MW is being built just up the road from me, but I think something more effective will be required in the long term.

guest5079

• Topic Starter
« Reply #641 on: December 12, 2017, 02:01:59 PM »
I am certain I saw on the dreaded box an item re tidal power involving a tower with a collar that rose up and down with the tides. This would not be affected by high  or low tides as it is dependent on the rise and fall of the sea as opposed to tidal flow in harbour entrances. One can only suppose it hit problems with situations when high winds produced too much rise and fall.
As to fossil fuels I am certain many moons ago, it was stated that the UK is sitting on 400 yrs supply of coal. Clean emissions were promised but all seems forgotten as the 'pundits' have moved on to the next brilliant idea to solve the planets energy supplies. It is cheaper to pay countries like the US to rip it out of the ground without any thoughts of reinstatement.
What is terrifying was watching Blue Planet 2 on Beeb. Plastic that wonder product and is now public enemy number one, killing sea creatures at some alarming rate, because homo sapien hasn't got the nouse to make sure he cleans up after himself. Just chuck it down. Yes the world will collapse if we the ones with the brain don't wake up.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #642 on: December 12, 2017, 02:24:00 PM »
I think whatever your view on fossil fuels versus renewables it makes sense to eek them (fossil fuels) out even if you do think they are the bees knees. Renewables can help with this.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #643 on: December 12, 2017, 03:09:13 PM »
I am certain I saw on the dreaded box an item re tidal power involving a tower with a collar that rose up and down with the tides. This would not be affected by high  or low tides as it is dependent on the rise and fall of the sea as opposed to tidal flow in harbour entrances.

I think that is called wavepower rather than tidal power.   Tidal flows result from the moon and the rotation of the Earth (the pull of moons gravity cause a 'hump' of water to travel around the Earth),  wavepower (swell) is the result of wind causing 'ripples' on the surface of oceans.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #644 on: December 12, 2017, 03:59:42 PM »
MeyGen, in the Pentland Firth, is the big one here in Scotland.

https://tidalenergytoday.com/tag/meygen/

It is a joint effort between Tidal Power Scotland Limited and Scottish Enterprise.

Tags:

anything