Author Topic: Battery charging for low use vehicle  (Read 7494 times)

Peter

• Approved Member
    • Peter's World
  • My Honda: MkII Jazz iVTEC 1.4 CVT
Battery charging for low use vehicle
« on: December 14, 2016, 02:43:55 PM »
I am retired and use my present car so little [Volkswagen 1.2 Moda, manual] that I have to keep it permanently on a digital charger otherwise the battery goes flat. I am really only doing about 70 0r 80 miles in a month.

I am thinking of buying an IMA Jazz as I love the CVT box which I had on my previous HA model and would like to go back to an automatic. As I only drive a few miles along country lanes into town I think the IMA would be a benefit. Also I have heard that the extra weight of the battery in the boot helps keep the ride more comfortable.

My question to members is this; If I put an IMA Jazz on trickle charge will it only keep the car system battery up to charge and will the IMA battery go down or would both batteries be charged? Or would I actually have to use two digital battery chargers to keep both batteries charged?

Many thanks

Peter in Devon

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Battery charging for low use vehicle
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 04:07:02 PM »
Peter,
       You can only charge the normal battery using a battery charger.  The Hybrid batteries are totally different and cannot be charged using a battery charger.
They will not go flat between the uses you describe.
I would suggest that a normal CVT Jazz would be more than adequate for your needs.

Vic.

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 04:18:10 PM »
My mother's car does a similar mileage....800 miles between MOTs. The car never warms up properly.

You might consider using a taxi instead, depending on the kind of journeys you make.

With such low mileage the extra cost of a hybrid is not going to be recovered. If your main reason is the better ride, you could put a paving slab in the boot of an ordinary CVT :)

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 06:02:41 PM »
Sounds like a full electric vehicle like a Nissan leaf would be ideal, but they are so expensive for a new one, they have been around for a few years so maybe there are now second hand ones available.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:15:57 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Peter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
    • Peter's World
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 10:17:38 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen, for your considered replies. A question for you, Vic, if I may. Why will the IMA battery not go down if I don't use the car for ten to fourteen days? Is it a different type of battery?

Many thanks

Peter in Devon

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »
Why will the IMA battery not go down if I don't use the car for ten to fourteen days? Is it a different type of battery?

The Hybrid batteries will lose charge but it doesn't matter because they do not contribute anything to starting the car.
Once on the  move the hybrid batteries will charge up.
I think the hybrid batteries form a bank of batteries whose overall voltage is quite high, certainly in excess of the normal car battery. Therefore, even if the hybrid batteries were accessible which they are not, a normal 12v battery charger will be of no use.

Vic.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 04:52:32 PM »
The natural self-discharge of the hybrid's big battery is another reason for not getting this vehicle for very light usage: You will be using fuel to charge the battery but some of that charge will have disappeared by the time you next use the car. This problem would be avoided were there a way to trickle charge the battery from the mains, but that option doesn't exist. I would also note that the battery capacity is relative small and the system isn't designed to power the car from the battery (the motor is less than 20HP) but is designed to boost the petrol engine on acceleration and recover some energy when slowing down.

You could, however, consider the post 2011 automatic Jazz which is also CVT.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 05:04:30 PM »
The IMA (integrated motor assist) has a normal 12v battery and an 144v battery, the motor is a 10KW and doubles as regeneration and alternator, it forms the flywheel of the car and can't be disconnected from the engine.  Apparently the 144v will be used to start engine if sufficient charge in it otherwise the 12v is used.

If I did low mileage I would seriously look for a plugin hybrid or pure electric (although I am not a big fan really just being pragmatic,  but the price would have to be right - I live in hope that as more are sold the price will plummet LOL ) -  both will be expensive to buy but cheap to run, although with low mileage the payback period will run to decades, but will not deteriorate like an ICE car through standing idle for long periods as long as battery kept charged.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 05:38:33 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 06:50:03 AM »
d.

If I did low mileage I would seriously look for a plugin hybrid or pure electric (although I am not a big fan really just being pragmatic,  but the price would have to be right - I live in hope that as more are sold the price will plummet LOL ) -  both will be expensive to buy but cheap to run, although with low mileage the payback period will run to decades, but will not deteriorate like an ICE car through standing idle for long periods as long as battery kept charged.

The trouble with cars standing idle is that disks corrode. And I think all hybrids have rear disk brakes - which corrode even more as they have so little braking load.  Even less braking on a hybrid due to using regenerative braking.

And corrosion is aggravated by leaving the car outside when not in use, or parking it when wet in a garage. (Unless you have a heated and ventilated garage..  ours is ventilated but not heated)

So after 3 years' little use, you find you need new rear disks and pads and a  bill for £££s.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 06:51:35 AM by madasafish »

Peter

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
    • Peter's World
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 12:09:35 PM »
Oh, wow! Thank you all for your input. You have given me a lot to think about. I'm not actually looking for an IMA motor per se, it's just that a local Honda dealer has an HX model with the leather seats and panoramic roof for sale in a lovely black colour and I was very taken by it! Hi ho.

Many thanks

Peter in Devon

Tags:

anything