Author Topic: 2007/8 Stereo into 2002?  (Read 11781 times)

gtd2000

• Approved Member
  • Tell it as it is..NOT how it should be!
  • My Honda: 2006 Honda Jazz
2007/8 Stereo into 2002?
« on: August 01, 2016, 05:04:22 PM »
Hi There,
Looking at upgrading the stereo from Cassette to CD player in our 2002 1.4L DSI SE.
e.g.

At one of the local breakers they have a couple of original Jazz cars with the CD player but they also have what I think is a 2007 with the upgraded unit.

e.g.

What I'm wondering is, can the facelifted model stereo unit be fitted to the original model?

guest1372

Re: 2007/8 Stereo into 2002?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 05:50:36 PM »
There's a small difference with the switches for the rear window heater and mirror heaters, on the facelift it's a combined button, you can swap the parts over.  The later unit has the steering wheel control inputs which may mean a larger multi-plug on the back (or might not) but has the same multi-plug.  I don't think the newer unit is 'better', just different layout with a clearer display.

While you have yours out, make sure to wire in an aux jack or a Bluetooth adapter.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APT-X-Bluetooth-4-0-Audio-Receiver-Board-Wireless-Stereo-Music-Module-iPhone-PC-/131574530311

How much do they want, I think they are £22+v at my local yard.

Question is - How important is a CD player these days? You can build in a Bluetooth adapter as above, and playback music or podcasts from your phone or an iPod Touch, or use an FM re-transmitter that will do Bluetooth, has a 3.5mm jack plus playback from mp3s on a USB stick / SD-card for less than £10 with no hassle.
--
TG

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 10:32:24 PM »
I certainly hear what you are saying regarding the CD but the way I'm looking at it, is it's more benficial than a cassette tape player.

I was reading the article about transplanting the aux input from the later models and I think that would be a good option if one of the cars at the yard has one.

When I was at the yard on Saturday they said they would charge £20 for the headunit (plus VAT presumably).

I would actually prefer to fit an aftermarket head unit with Bluetooth but the price of the fascia trim is over priced in my opinion. I would have taken one there and then but the guide I read didn't mention using an 8mm socket to remove the two x retaining screws inside the dash. I only had a philips which wouldn't budge one of the two screws (on two cars it was the same problem).

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 10:36:36 PM »

While you have yours out, make sure to wire in an aux jack or a Bluetooth adapter.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APT-X-Bluetooth-4-0-Audio-Receiver-Board-Wireless-Stereo-Music-Module-iPhone-PC-/131574530311

Question is - How important is a CD player these days? You can build in a Bluetooth adapter as above, and playback music or podcasts from your phone or an iPod Touch, or use an FM re-transmitter that will do Bluetooth, has a 3.5mm jack plus playback from mp3s on a USB stick / SD-card for less than £10 with no hassle.
--
TG

That Bluetooth module looks very interesting indeed! Have you fitted one to your car?

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 09:51:53 AM »
An adapter cable is also required for the aerial connection.

http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=3113.msg15620#msg15620

2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

guest1372

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 02:31:28 PM »
That Bluetooth module looks very interesting indeed! Have you fitted one to your car?
I bought a similar one and fitted it to a friends ancient 3-series, works a treat. Pipes the Bluetooth audio into his cd multi-changer input until you plug something into it's 3.5mm jack then that gets priority, all hidden away.

I just use an FM re-transmitter like the first picture, because I needed a lighter socket power adapter anyway. What I like - dip the music volume when the phone satnav speaks, (satnav set to use phone speaker, too loud through the radio).  What I don't like - it's display is tiny and too far away. 

There's an aftermarket touchscreen with fascia at £150 on eBay, DVD and camera are a bit pointless but it might be OK.  You could put the Honda unit in within the hour, this would probably take all weekend.

I agree that cassette cars look a bit rubbish, but one other thought, do they have rear speakers?
--
TG

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 09:25:02 PM »
Picked up the updated stereo CD unit from the breakers today for an all in price of £20.

First thing that was different from the guides I've seen, is the method of disconnecting the rotary dial cables from within the car - the gloveboxes do not fold down as shown in the videos? It all looks very straightforwards in the US version of the the Fit but it's not like that in the cars I looked at today....any good links to the method of unclipping the UK cables?

I took note of the different antenna connector and simply traced the cable back as far as possible and cut it off with the intention of simply splicing it onto the existing co-ax cable (with the standard jack plug attached) after removal. I should ask - is this going to be OK or is there something that's different between the 2002 and later models other than the square connector plug to the head unit?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 09:26:36 PM by gtd2000 »

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016, 09:31:14 PM »
Unfortunately none of the cars at the yard had the optional aux input cable installed - all came with the simple blanking plate, so it looks like the BT board wwould be the next best option.

It looks to me like there must be quite a bit of soldering involved to get this to work?

guest1372

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2016, 11:25:00 PM »
Glovebox internal liner just pulls out forwards, it's also how you get to the cabin filter. 
Wiring in to the AUX is quite easy, I've got some info in the pictures here.
BT module connections are straightforward just need to place between the 3.5mm jack and aux on head unit + power.
--
TG

[attachment deleted by admin]

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016, 09:37:05 PM »
Job done for now.

I need to call the local breakers yard to see if they have a Honda Jazz with the audio input jack. Once that's verified I'll be 100% complete.

I was a bit disappointed that the CD player does not recognise MP3's but it's not the end of the world.

The worst part about the transplant is getting the cables adjusted properly...took me about 3 attempts to get it 100%!

Now it's time for a cup of coffee and a chocolate biscuit or two!

Thank you for all your input so far folks.

Next step will be to do some revision on these BT boards.... :o

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2016, 09:38:13 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention that simply splicing the newer antenna connector onto the existing coaxial cable works perfectly, no need to buy expensive adapters etc on eBay for retaining the radio function  ;D

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 05:10:32 PM »
Well, I'm pleased to say that I've now sourced an AUX input from a 2007 model Jazz at the breakers.

I'm becoming quite good at removing Jazz headunits now!  :P

guest1372

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 06:12:04 PM »
Well, I'm pleased to say that I've now sourced an AUX input from a 2007 model Jazz at the breakers.
I'm becoming quite good at removing Jazz headunits now!  :P
Surprising how many you see with lever marks round the fascia, surely all head units are secured by more than a few plastic clips. 

Also jack socket removal:  Method 1 - carefully unscrew centre console, and detach clips, trim etc.  Method 2: - insert largest screw driver under front of console, lever it back 180°, remove aux socket.   
Some cars just get destroyed.
--
TG

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 12:36:41 PM »
Well I'm pleased to say I've made up a full length cable for the AUX input now - recycled some wires from a knackered washing machine to make up the cable.

It's not the prettiest looking thing but it's perfectly acceptable...proof of the pudding will be whether or not it actually works ;)

gtd2000

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 10:40:44 AM »
Well the cable was installed this week - should have just made one out of some cat 5 cable I guess as it would have been quicker, neater and easier but the washing machine wires were free and available at the time.  ;D

I've already tried making a call with the aux cable attached to the phone and I'm please to report that it works perfectly for hands free calling.

Ironically, I just ordered one of these on Monday morning and I'm wondering now what the point was...lol  ;D

http://www.gearbest.com/speakers/pp_134876.html

Tags:

anything