Author Topic: How to fix tailgate dent?  (Read 12177 times)

guest1060

How to fix tailgate dent?
« on: December 10, 2011, 09:02:44 PM »
I have a 2006 Jazz and have just picked up a 6 inch diameter dent on my tailgate - just to the side of the left light cluster.  unfortuntely it is not on a flat part of the metal - it is on a horizontal fold.

I would like to try to knock the dent out. This will involve removing the door "lining".

Anyone tried this before?  Is it simply a question of removing a few screws?

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Re: How to fix tailgate dent?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 10:31:41 PM »
If its only a gentle shallow dent, you could possibly pull it out with a dent puller, http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=dent+puller&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14758438372942008468&sa=X&ei=R93jTrSTLsKEhQfVr9zfAQ&ved=0CJMBEPMCMAE

Failing that try Dentmaster but its worth trying a DIY attempt first, but I wouldn't use hammers on it or Dentmaster may not be able to repair it if the metal is too stretched.

Oz

guest1060

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 05:24:51 PM »
a friend of mine tells me that the lining to doors is nit screwed on - it is fixed with clips so I need to somehow remove it by unclipping it, ie forcing it off.  Rather not do this unless I knew exactly where the clips are.  Any ideas?

guest1143

• Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:32:52 PM »
The procedure is rather too much to list here, but Haynes manual 4735 gives full and clear instructions for removing trim panels.  I have found it an excellent manual for all aspects of Jazz maintenance and essential for almost any task you want to undertake.

guest1060

• Topic Starter
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »
OK.  I removed the two plastic plugs on either side of the hand grip at the bottom of the door. Then, taking my life in my hands, I pulled the door liner away from the door.  Misplaced confidence combined with brute force.  Loud sound of cracking plastic.

Only to find that the hatch door has double-skinned metal in a number of places, making it imposible to hammer out the dent from the inside.

To replace door lining you line it up carefully and push it back into the metal. It is fixed by a number of plastic plugs which push in.  Unfortunately some of them will break in the process. All very flimsy.

Now I have a door with a dent and barely attached door lining.

chrisc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2012 1.4 manual
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »
You can buy those plastic door lining clips from reupholsters.  They are meant to break, didn't you know that?  You are lucky its attached at all and didn't fall out the car the first time you opened the door

Let us know the cost of fixing the dent.  In Cape Town, "Dent Magic" usually charge the equivalent of £35.00.  They are quite good, especially for car-park trolley accidents and the occasional pedestrian I run over
If music be the food of love, play on

guest1060

• Topic Starter
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 10:44:13 PM »
Unfortunately the dent is not fixable.  It coincides with a fold in the metal so cannot be pulled out using suction pullers.

£900 for a new hatch!  I don't feel particularly lucky.  I just know that 3 days after paying for a new rear hatch .............

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 01:29:47 PM »
Let a smart repairer have a look at it before committing to a new hatch, they can work wonders.

Tags:

anything