Author Topic: windscreen chipped... but not really?  (Read 5421 times)

Ciaran84

• Approved Member
windscreen chipped... but not really?
« on: May 19, 2011, 09:40:27 AM »
On my way to work this morning, a loose chipping flew up and whacked my windscreen. I spent the rest of the journey looking with dread at the chip it had left behind and wishing i hadn't sped up to make that light earlier. When i got to work and went to inspect the damage i ran my hand over it and the whole section was seamlessly smooth on both inside and outside, as if there was no chip at all but i can clearly see it. I have never had a chip before so i'd appreciate some advice.
Is this dangerous?
Should i get it fixed when there doesn't appear to be anywhere for autoglass to inject their special resin like in the ads on tv?
I'm pretty sure it'll be covered by my insurance and i'm not worried about the money side, i just don't see how it can be fixed as it currently is.

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
Re: windscreen chipped... but not really?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:25:48 AM »
Check your insurance for windscreen cover  then have Autoglass and similar come along and look at the 'damage'.

I ran a Subaru Forester with a couple of bullseyes for some time , the car was sold with the marks on the screen -  not considered in drivers line of sight.

dogbiscuit

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz 1.3 i-VTEC SE MT
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 09:10:41 PM »
I had the same thing happen to me several years ago. Foolishly I had it "repaired" by a company (not one of the national repairers) operating from a car park. They made a mess of it and the repair was no better than the original chip. Fortunately the bulls-eye chip wasn't in the line of sight and not an issue at MoT time. After a couple of years I traded in the car and it was no longer a problem. If you decide to get it repaired use a reputable company.

Ciaran84

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 08:39:54 AM »
I have an appointment for it today, it's the company the insurance company use but i've never heard of them. I suppose we'll see how it goes.

Tags: