Author Topic: Breakdown cover  (Read 13352 times)

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
Breakdown cover
« on: July 03, 2010, 03:26:59 PM »
The AA cover supplied with my Jazz is about to expire.

Who did you take out breakdown cover with when your Honda AA cover expired?

JazzyB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2007 Jazz 1.4 Sport Manual (Japanese built)
Re: Breakdown cover
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 03:56:27 PM »
Green Flag

Geoffers

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 04:19:17 PM »
RAC here!
Although I also have Green Flag with my insurance

guest1451

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 10:04:56 PM »
I've always ever used the AA for breakdown cover i get a family membership and get my 3 sisters all to join in so we can lower the membership cost...

RichardA

• Topic Starter
  • Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 08:47:40 PM »
I'm now with Green Insurance - homestart, recovery, etc, for less than £30.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 04:47:54 PM »
I got the Honda Happiness cover extended each time the car was serviced.

guest582

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 06:07:24 PM »
I did not know that you got specifically AA cover with a Jazz. The salesman told me that Honda and Toyota cars broke down so infrequently that these two firms did not find it was economic to contract with any individual breakdown company. They both preferred to just deal with each case individually as it arose.

For the record I will use Britannia breakdown services when my 3 year cover with Honda expires.

Rory

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2009 1.4 EX Manual - gone to a family member. Still look after it, and a 2014 EX driven by daughter.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 10:16:23 PM »
I did not know that you got specifically AA cover with a Jazz. The salesman told me that Honda and Toyota cars broke down so infrequently that these two firms did not find it was economic to contract with any individual breakdown company. They both preferred to just deal with each case individually as it arose.

For the record I will use Britannia breakdown services when my 3 year cover with Honda expires.

It might be a fairly new thing - Honda recently signed a contract with the AA:
http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/honda-offers-better-breakdown-assistance/242032

- not sure what they di before.

bill888

• Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 12:24:07 PM »
Now 3 years old and as I don't use my car that much, I decided to follow Martin's advice:

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/roadside-recovery

and sign up to RAC for a year.  

Total cost 8 quid for basic cover after Quidco cashback.

2007(57) Jazz 1.4SE CVT-7 (GE3 - made in China)

Peter

• Approved Member
    • Peter's World
  • My Honda: MkII Jazz iVTEC 1.4 CVT
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 01:17:15 PM »

I've gone for Green Flag and taken the Recovery Plus package at £56.70. I must admit I was a bit freaked after my neighbour had a major breakdown far from home in their five year old Skoda Superb which was going to cost  over £2,000.00 if the job was done by a nearby Soda dealership where they broke down. Fortunately they were able, under the terms of there recovery policy, to get the car brought back to their own local garage and have a hire car to get themselves home. When you hear stories like this it starts to make you think - "What if ...?"

By the way, what is the Honda Happiness cover? I don't think I have been offered this when I have had the car serviced.

Peter in Devon
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 01:20:13 PM by Peter »

Rory

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »

By the way, what is the Honda Happiness cover? I don't think I have been offered this when I have had the car serviced.

I meant the Assistance breakdown cover.  I wasn't offered it at 3 yrs old, but then when I hummed and harred about the service price at 4yrs they mentioned that if I had the proper "Honda" scheduled service (rather than a cheaper version) then it would include the Asssitance cover.  At subsequent services I asked for it and they provided it without question.

I could be wrong about this, but I doubt my dealer is doing this off their own bat - my impression is that it's a Honda thing but maybe the dealers don't offer it unless asked.

It's a worthwhile benefit, as it's effectively pretty top of the range AA cover - particularly if you use the car to travel to Europe it would save you about £150.

Boanerges

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2010, 10:08:26 AM »
My wife and I were with the AA for a couple of years but thought it to be very expensive so we shopped around and found an annual breakdown insurance policy via http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/roadside-recovery#autoaid that does the same thing for £37 per year.

Auto Aid cover works like this; you call out a recovery service of your choice (or ring Auto Aid's call centre and they will arrange it for you) and pay by credit card for the callout obtaining a receipt from the driver. You then send the invoice to Auto Aid who reimburse the cost within 10 days.

Both my wife and I are covered in any car and have the same or better cover than we had with the AA for £100 less.

I have to add that in the three years that we have been covered we have have not had to use the service but people who have made claims have confirmed that they were paid out quickly and without fuss.

Here's a link to Auto Aid if anyone is interested: http://www.autoaidbreakdown.co.uk/works01.htm

The only drawback is that they don't do European cover.

Brian

Tags: