Author Topic: Little bit worried about auto braking.  (Read 58185 times)

guest8014

Little bit worried about auto braking.
« on: December 21, 2018, 04:45:46 PM »
I have the EX. For one month now so  getting used to it. One thing that has happened three times is the warning has come on (beep) and the car auto braked because I assume it is too near another vehicle in front and going too fast. I tend to drive as fast as the traffic allows and merge into traffic in what I would describe as a slick manner i.e. smartly to keep things moving. I am not a dribbler driver and don't suffer from rigor mortis at traffic lights and gone before the green appears if I'm in front. I used to rally minis so maybe that's where my driving habits come from. Bad? Efficient? Whatever.

Any views or ideas about how to turn this feature off? I mostly have the proximity sensors off when parking and garaging so got that sorted.
Thanks.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Little bit worried about auto braking.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 05:52:26 PM »
My view would be that it's a fault. Either your car's or the driver's ;)

In nearly three years of owning my Jazz I've only had the auto brakes come on once and that was, arguably, down to me being impatient. I'm no slouch either but I only go into gaps where I can fit at a speed that leaves me plenty of time to slow without needing the brakes (despite driving the CVT version).

I've had the proximity alert come on a few more times (oddly it seems on some occasions due to vehicles behind me which shouldn't be possible) but that doesn't trigger the brakes.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 05:54:57 PM by andruec »

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 06:38:21 PM »
Note you can adjust the sensitivity of this setting, near and far (or similar words). Can't remember exactly how but it's in the manual.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 07:07:59 PM »
Note you can adjust the sensitivity of this setting, near and far (or similar words). Can't remember exactly how but it's in the manual.

It is called the "Forward Collision Avoidance System" covered in a section starting on p428 of the online manual I found.

The setting is within the Multi Information Display setting p130 "Driver Assist System setup"

However there is also the "City Brake Active System" p450, which seems to do something similar but at low speeds, and doesn't appear to have any setting adjustment, but can be turned off on a per journey basis.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 09:31:55 PM »
The "Forward Collision Warning System" is exactly that.  It warns you.  It does not apply the brakes.

The "City Brake Active System" is the system that will apply the brakes.  Mine would regularly do it as I drove up to a particular car park barrier but never activated any other time in nearly 3 years.  It only operates between 3 mph and 20 mph so if yours in activating outside of these parameters, I would suggest that you have a fault.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:11:18 PM by ColinS »

guest8014

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 09:48:15 PM »
Thanks I'll look into this and think about my driving style as well.

mikebore

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 09:48:30 PM »
The "Forward Collision Avoidance System" is exactly that.  It warns you.  It does not apply the brakes.

My bad...it is actually called the "Forward Collision Warning System" on page 428.....not "avoidance" which would imply it does more than warn.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 09:07:10 AM »
I find this all a bit concerning. In 8 years of motoring with 3 Jazz cars, I have never once had the Active Brake System kick in. All settings are, all as far as I know, set to default position.
Certainly the Collision Warning operates from time to time, mostly when I drive into my garage, but that is all.
Maybe I should check that the system operates as it should, although I can certainly live without it
A merry Christmas to all.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2018, 12:00:51 PM »
I find this all a bit concerning. In 8 years of motoring with 3 Jazz cars, I have never once had the Active Brake System kick in. All settings are, all as far as I know, set to default position.
Certainly the Collision Warning operates from time to time, mostly when I drive into my garage, but that is all.
Maybe I should check that the system operates as it should, although I can certainly live without it
A merry Christmas to all.
The Forward Collision Warning doesn't operate under 9 mph.  How fast do you drive into your garage :o

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2018, 05:10:59 PM »
The automatic collision system was only introduced on the latest model. The only time it came on for me was when accelerating toward a trailer on roundabout. I knew I couldn't reach the trailer before the owner pulled it out of the way but the car wasn't convinced.

Sidot

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk3 ES.Sporty Blue Metallic.
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 09:07:44 PM »
I have had three Jazzs now and have never had any of them apply the brakes on its own.
I'm a very sedentary driver and that's probably why.
My latest car is the updated 2018 Jazz SE which I am sure has the feature.
I'm pretty sure that if the car applied the brakes on its own I would immediately foul my trousers!

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2018, 05:15:38 PM »
Hi Guys

My apologies, i was getting confused between the Collision Sensor and the Parking Warning.
It's the Parking Warning that sounds in the garage, because I have to park with the nearside front wing, only about 1" from the wall.

You might say "How does he do that?" Well I have a length of 2" thick builder's plank screwed to the wall, roughly where the front wheels is positioned and I aim to just scrape that as I come into the garage, As it's wood it dose not damage the wheel or tyre and it avoids the wing scraping the wall :-[

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2018, 07:48:31 PM »
I also park in the garage and the proximity sensors do get rather excited. I have a length of wood on the floor across the end that I can use to gauge the point to stop. That and ensuring the doors clear the side pillars :)

Hobo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Ex Mk2 Jazz, now 2020 Civic EX Auto
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 02:51:47 PM »
and ensuring the doors clear the side pillars :)

Modern property?

Several years ago I moved with my company to a different area, we rented a semi on a new build estate until we sold our old house and found our own property, on putting my company car a Vauxhall Cavalier in the attached garage I found I could not open the drivers door far enough to get out even parked with the nearside a few inches from the garage wall, the garage made a useful storage area. :( :D

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
and ensuring the doors clear the side pillars :)

Modern property?
Depends what you consider modern. It was built in the early 90s. The front doors just clear the side pillars with some room taken up by storage along the far wall. I'm always wary when buying a new car because even though they aren't baulked by the pillars there's only just enough room to get in and out of the driver's side and passengers have to get out before the car goes in.

Tags: