Author Topic: Garmin European Maps 2019  (Read 4456 times)

la14oldie

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk 3 SE Navi CVT
Garmin European Maps 2019
« on: November 05, 2018, 02:37:55 PM »
Hi all! I've tried to update the maps in my 2016 Jazz Navi today but Garmin Express is saying that 2018 maps is the latest version. Is this correct or have I done something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

guest7494

Re: Garmin European Maps 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2018, 03:53:58 PM »
I should think that is because we are still in 2018 and the 2019 updates might or could be affected by the dreaded Brexit.
Who knows?
Perhaps we will all drop off the edge of the world when or if this should occur.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2018, 03:58:55 PM »
Perhaps they're not sure which motorways will be converted into lorry parks by 2019.

I sometimes wonder if they have a crystal ball when they issue these map updates dated in advance.  ;)

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2018, 04:59:56 PM »
I have a standalone Garmin GPS and it's on City Navigator NTU 2019.20.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 05:00:39 PM »
I should think that is because we are still in 2018 and the 2019 updates might or could be affected by the dreaded Brexit.
Who knows?
Perhaps we will all drop off the edge of the world when or if this should occur.

As long as they are European maps and not EU maps you should be OK.  The EU is likely to change a lot in the next few years but don't think Europes roads will.   What you need are Garmin terrestrial maps,  avoid the political maps.... they will be too volatile.

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 12:55:13 AM »
Who knows?
It's the same in Italy and in the rest of Europe.
Our last map version was released in september 2017, named 2018.0, and in the last year Garmin has released seven updates (2018.10, 2018.20, 2018.30,  2018.40, 2019.0, 2019.10, 2019.20) for its branded devices.
Maybe the problem is the size of the map file and the memory size of our device because it saves its files using a FAT32 filesystem, this means that file size must be lower than 4gigabytes; gmapsupp.img, the file containing garmin maps, now sizes 3,98gb... Last versions of this file for recent Garmin devices  are splitted in two parts, north europe and south europe, but the device must be able to manage two map files (firmware), and must be able to contain two big files.

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »
Garmin update with 2019.0 EU maps has been released.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 03:57:37 PM by jazzaro »

Ron6319

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 04:57:07 PM »
Have downloaded and installed 2019.0.

Found this on the VW Up Forum and have asked Garman to comment:
Does your support for Honda finish in 2020?
If so will the licence continue to run indefinately?
From VW Up Forum
 Maps + More Updates
I have been concerned that no Q2 or later map updates were appearing as an option when connected to the PC Garmin software having subscribed for a further 2 year update (valid until June 2019). I was aware that there were issues with Garmin v Navigon so I emailed Navigon and their reply is:

“thank you for contacting NAVIGON.

As you might be aware, Garmin decided that NAVIGON will no longer sell any products as of May 14th 2018.
In the course of this, it has also been decided by Garmin that NAVIGON can no longer comply with the usual rhythm of map updates of FreshMaps.

What exactly does that mean for you?

Currently, it looks like there will be two map updates in the next two years until the finalization of the updates. Most likely, the next release of maps will be at the end of 2018 and at the end of 2019.
The usual update for the second and third quarter of 2018 will therefore not be available.

The safety camera is not available for purchase anymore, also due to a decision by Garmin. We have prolongued your subscription of it until March next year though.

We also prolongued your FreshMaps subscription to enable you to definitely receive the updates we are still allowed to release until the finalization of NAVIGON in 2020.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely

So it’s THE END OF THE ROAD!

Have had a reply from Garmin 3rd Jan 2019:
Hi Ron,

Thank you for your email.

There is no intention to cut of support for Honda, we at present offer Honda updates via Garmin Express along with Fresh still being readily available via our Garmin Site

https://volkswagen.garmin.com/volkswagen/site

https://honda.garmin.com/honda/site;jsessionid=CC46C23DA67E25CA188B5F677DFCA2AC

Kind regards,

Jeremy

Garmin Europe
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 03:41:48 PM by Ron6319 »

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 07:39:50 PM »
I'm sure someone told me not too long ago that in-car sat navs were a good choice because they were supported indefinitely.

Ah, yes. I posted.

We were told.

https://www.navigon.com/en/

I wonder who Honda will contract with for their next satnav system? I wonder if they will offer some kind of upgrade path for older cars to whatever that system is (ha ha ha).

Think I'll stick with my '3rd party' solution. There will always be someone providing an up to date navigation app for my phone.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 07:44:17 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2019, 08:38:49 AM »

I wonder who Honda will contract with for their next satnav system? I wonder if they will offer some kind of upgrade path for older cars to whatever that system is (ha ha ha).

You buy a 20XX car you buy 20XX software, maps etc. Support, upgrades, and updates are not mandatory unless they are safety related.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2019, 09:01:56 AM »

You buy a 20XX car you buy 20XX software, maps etc. Support, upgrades, and updates are not mandatory unless they are safety related.
Of course. So why pay a premium for something that eventually expires (or at least becomes outdated) when you can have an up to date solution for less money on a phone or dedicated unit?

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2019, 10:44:29 AM »

Of course. So why pay a premium for something that eventually expires (or at least becomes outdated) when you can have an up to date solution for less money on a phone or dedicated unit?

Convenience, no need for cables etc or units that get lost.

Personally I'd not pay extra for a built in unit.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2019, 11:18:31 AM »

Bit naff not updating maps regularly as the roads change more than you think ( new islands, one way systems and bypasses, speed limits etc. ) I have a couple of Garmin stand alone units and for US$70 about 5 years ago I got lifetime updates ( full European maps 4 times a year) - just plug unit into computer, it recognises it and says if update are available, half an hour tops for GB and Ireland, a bit more for full Europe maps ( which I don't bother with nowadays).  Maybe the in-car software operating system may get away without updates but maps are different,  my bro in law has built in satnav in his 4 year old ( Volvo) car and regularly comes across bits of road that the system does not recognise,  he has started using his phone instead,  hardly a ringing endorsement for built in systems, considering the extra cost. The multi-function in-car screen ( which is cheaper for car makers to fit than mechanical buttons and knobs)  is used for reversing camera and other functions,  but to treat the satnav bit as not important and not offer reasonably priced updates is terrible.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Ron6319

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 03:42:35 PM »
Have downloaded and installed 2019.0.

Found this on the VW Up Forum and have asked Garman to comment:
Does your support for Honda finish in 2020?
If so will the licence continue to run indefinately?
From VW Up Forum
 Maps + More Updates
I have been concerned that no Q2 or later map updates were appearing as an option when connected to the PC Garmin software having subscribed for a further 2 year update (valid until June 2019). I was aware that there were issues with Garmin v Navigon so I emailed Navigon and their reply is:

“thank you for contacting NAVIGON.

As you might be aware, Garmin decided that NAVIGON will no longer sell any products as of May 14th 2018.
In the course of this, it has also been decided by Garmin that NAVIGON can no longer comply with the usual rhythm of map updates of FreshMaps.

What exactly does that mean for you?

Currently, it looks like there will be two map updates in the next two years until the finalization of the updates. Most likely, the next release of maps will be at the end of 2018 and at the end of 2019.
The usual update for the second and third quarter of 2018 will therefore not be available.

The safety camera is not available for purchase anymore, also due to a decision by Garmin. We have prolongued your subscription of it until March next year though.

We also prolongued your FreshMaps subscription to enable you to definitely receive the updates we are still allowed to release until the finalization of NAVIGON in 2020.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely

So it’s THE END OF THE ROAD!

Hi Ron,

There is no intention to cut of support for Honda, we at present offer Honda updates via Garmin Express along with Fresh still being readily available via our Garmin Site

Kind regards,

Jeremy

Garmin Europe

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2019, 03:55:18 PM »
Hi Ron,

Kind regards,

Jeremy

Garmin Europe
Well that is good news. Perhaps they've just concluded that competing in the open sat nav market is not worth it. In the closed market of vehicles perhaps manufacturer 'subsidies' keep it profitable. Still not going to persuade me to go that route (pun intended) :)

Tags: