Author Topic: Is there a Jazz 2016 Headlight conversion Halogen to LED  (Read 5597 times)

guest7494

Is there a Jazz 2016 Headlight conversion Halogen to LED
« on: October 24, 2018, 05:05:07 PM »
Is there a Jazz 2016 Headlight conversion Halogen to LED  kit this seems an obvious money spinner for Honda, considering the latest Jazz versions have this fitted as standard.
I am sure there will be some well informed members of this forum who will have the answer for me or a reason for not carrying out this conversion.
I will await this with anticipation.

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Is there a Jazz 2016 Headlight conversion Halogen to LED
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 06:19:03 PM »
Is there a Jazz 2016 Headlight conversion Halogen to LED  kit this seems an obvious money spinner for Honda, considering the latest Jazz versions have this fitted as standard.
I am sure there will be some well informed members of this forum who will have the answer for me or a reason for not carrying out this conversion.
I will await this with anticipation.

Does the 2016 have an H4 bulb ( twin filament ) ?

Check out this thread and link,  my wife has these in her Mk2 Jazz and they are great.

https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8738.msg62608#msg62608

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/latest-led-headlights-h4-philips-z-es-hi-lo-beam-conversion-9-32v?variant=8239030763615

Fitted these H7 ( link below ) to my Civic dipped beams - dipped beams do 90% of the work anyway and I don't mind a main beam bulb ( H1 ) popping as on main the dipped stay on as well ( separate reflectors for dips and mains) - but don't fancy a dipped going out on me - had the LED bulbs in both the Jazz and Civic for about 18 months now and no problems (except an over zealous MOT bloke said they would be illegal under new regs,  but new regs seem to be aimed at HID bulbs fitted into filament bulb reflectors.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/headlight-led-bulbs/products/led-headlight-conversion-bulbs-h7-4600-lumen-philips-z-es-main-dipped-glb477
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:33:18 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 07:55:54 AM »
Many thanks for your reply,I have checked website and these bulbs are SOLD OUT so this is a recommendation on its own.I am wondering if I should await end of Warranty period before changing to these LEDs and are Insurance likely to require notification,also MOT concerns.
Any observations on these matters would be interesting.
thank you very much.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 11:23:13 AM »
My car is still under warranty, but I changed over to these LEDs about 6 months ago on Culzean's recommendation and don't regret it.
I spoke to my Insurance company (NFU) about the change, but they didn't want to know.

It's unfortunate that they are currently out of stock, but well worth waiting for.
Don't be tempted to go for cheaper alternatives, as they won't have the same beam pattern as normal halogen bulbs and won't pass the MOT.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 11:37:10 AM »
My car is still under warranty, but I changed over to these LEDs about 6 months ago on Culzean's recommendation and don't regret it.
I spoke to my Insurance company (NFU) about the change, but they didn't want to know.

It's unfortunate that they are currently out of stock, but well worth waiting for.
Don't be tempted to go for cheaper alternatives, as they won't have the same beam pattern as normal halogen bulbs and won't pass the MOT.

If you are interested in buying I suggest you email this address and ask when the bulbs you want will be back in stock,  I have found them very helpful     sales@classiccarleds.co.uk

I can only vouch for those in link for having a good beam pattern and no problems in over 18 months , actually a sharper cut-off than filament bulbs  ( there are some pictures of filament and LED beams in the forum link I posted).  Beware of a lot of cheap and nasty dodgy bulbs our there (and Philips chips have been badly copied by our slanty eyed friends - there is a link in my first post to a forum thread with differences between genuine and fake luxeon / ultinon chips),  some have one or two round or square LED and the beam pattern is awful.  Those in link have the Phillips Luxeon chips,  specially developed by Philips to replicate the size, shape and placement in the reflector to mimic a filament,  you can buy the proper philips Luxeon or Ultinon branded bulbs from places like autobulbsdirect for about £140.  I have never been flashed by oncoming vehicles and because of their long life and low current draw (less than 2 amps per bulb compared to 5 amps per bulb for filament) am happy to have them on in the daytime for extra visibility.   It is the quality of the light ( which picks things like road signs out very well, and they do put more light on the nearside verge than the filament bulbs I have used in the past ) rather than the sheer amount of it that makes a big difference at night,  they are 6000 to 6500K - which is white rather than the glaring blue HID output,  which can be over 9000K.  It is entirely up to you whether you fit them, I can only let you know of my experiences.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 12:34:49 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 01:28:46 PM »
Thank you to Culzean and Kenneve for your very kind and useful info etc.
I have emailed as suggested by Culzean  and received a reply  instantly, so I will await  the in stock notification.and proceed accordingly.
Clubjazz.org is such a mine of information and such helpful knowledgeable people,I log in most days to see if I can glean any tips etc.
thanks again lads.
I will advise of my impending bulb change  when it has happened, I hope not to difficult for my stiff old hands,we shall see.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 01:40:17 PM »
I have emailed as suggested by Culzean  and received a reply  instantly, so I will await  the in stock notification.and proceed accordingly.
Clubjazz.org is such a mine of information and such helpful knowledgeable people,I log in most days to see if I can glean any tips etc.
thanks again lads.
I will advise of my impending bulb change  when it has happened, I hope not to difficult for my stiff old hands,we shall see.

It it pretty easy job on mk2 onwards, you can actually access the back of headlight without taking half the car apart. There are tips on fitting in the forum link I posted earlier. Only thing I did was put some computer heatsink compound on the thread between bulb and heatsink, to improve the heat transfer and prevent future corrosion making heatsink hard or impossible to unscrew. You need to remove heatsink to fit bulb ( to get spring clip back over, you also need to refit the rubber seal onto back of headlight before screwing heatsink back on ), just make sure the heatsink locking screw is slackened off before you try to unscrew it ( 2 different size Allen keys you need are provided with bulb kits ). The bulb can be rotated and locked in its holder instruction given with bulb but I found that because they were bought from UK seller the bulbs already set up for UK RHD use.   Makes them easier to fit if you remember that the fattest lug on the bulb base points vertically upwards to locate it in its holder.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Servisol-increases-conductivity-excellent-cond-Heat/dp/B000U1GDDW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1540474725&sr=8-2&keywords=Servisol+thermal+heatsink+compound
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 02:40:17 PM by culzean »

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2018, 02:46:25 PM »
Heat sink compound?? were do I source this from,I thought I just took out Halogen Bulb and re insert LCD replacement
I am not sure if I am up to all this techy stuff,I am sure to bugger it all up.
My stiff old body will give up the ghost,I have just been out to peruse location etc inside bonnet of my Jaffa jazz to locate headlight bits and bobs that was not difficult however I will have to contort my self to reach rubber boot etc and whilst my hands are in there I cannot see what I am doing,oh I wish that I could revert back a few years so frustrating.
Sorry I am moaning and I have not even received my new Bulbs yet I suspect that when I manage to install them technology will have advanced to such a degree they will be outdated. Ha ha.
Anyway many thanks to one and all for such kindness in replies etc realy much appreciated.

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »
Oops sorry Culzean I have just seen your link to Amazon re HS compound I am such a duffer.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2018, 03:42:14 PM »
Oops sorry Culzean I have just seen your link to Amazon re HS compound I am such a duffer.

Heatsink compound is not really required but my engineering background means I try to forsee future problems and avoid them and aluminium to aluminium corrosion is a problem with threads and the heatsink compound kills two birds with one stone, improves the heat flow from bulb to heatsink and stops corrosion. Unlike filament bulbs LED bulbs produce very little heat at the light  producing end in the reflector and 90% of the heat comes out of the back via the heatsink, and the cooler they run the longer they last, my heatsink run about 40 to 50 degC max, so hardly warm.

Don't need to apply much compound,  wait till bulb is in place with original rubber grommet re-fitted and  smear a bit on start of thread on rear of bulb, thread the heatsink over the round plug on flying lead from bulb and screw on,  I did not even bother to tighten up the locking allen grub screw on heatsink.  The compound can be a bit messy but it normally wipes off fingers and wires etc with a drop of white spirit / turps on a tissue.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 04:54:58 PM by culzean »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2018, 05:02:40 PM »
I stumbled across this, a bit of an advertisement but there is info in it. I have no opinions on LED bulbs, my car has LED headlights which are excellent.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 05:06:17 PM by Skyrider »

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2018, 05:25:36 PM »
Thanks Culzean, just one more query I promise.
Will these LED bulbs cause any difficulties with the Auto Headlights,High Beam Assist etc ie switching high to low.
Thanks

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2018, 06:14:47 PM »
Will these LED bulbs cause any difficulties with the Auto Headlights,High Beam Assist etc ie switching high to low.
Thanks

They work exactly the same as a filament bulb (except that they draw less than half the current and switch on and off a lot quicker), the small in-line constant current power supply has a 3 pin plug on the end that plugs straight into the 3 pin socket that normally plugs onto back of the bulb, there is a flying cable on the back of the LED  bulb with a 4 pin round plug ( that can pass through hole in heatsink ) and socket plug into other side of power supply.

No reason at all they will not work, Kenneve car about Same age as yours.

Look more closely at the link to forum I posted in my first post here and there are fitting instructions with photographs, LED bulb test videos and other links.
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8738.0

I have attached a PDF to this post with photos of my wifes Jazz Mk2 beam pattern on our garage door. ( Jaffa Jazz if you are unfamiliar with forum you will need to go into the body of the thread by clicking mouse on  'Is there a Jazz 2016 Headlight conversion Halogen to LED' part of the heading above and then you will see PDF attachment at the very bottom below this post - click on it and it should give you the option to open or download the PDF ).

Here are a couple of the best bulb test videos, the ones he does not shoot at in first video have the phillips style Luxeon and super ultinon LED chips ( same as the classiccarleds ones).

He gets on to Phillips Luxeon chipped bulbs properly after about 25 minute mark on video below.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 08:03:19 PM by culzean »

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2018, 03:45:36 PM »
Thanks

They work exactly the same as a filament bulb (except that they draw less than half the current and switch on and off a lot quicker), the small in-line constant current power supply has a 3 pin plug on the end that plugs straight into the 3 pin socket that normally plugs onto back of the bulb, there is a flying cable on the back of the LED  bulb with a 4 pin round plug ( that can pass through hole in heatsink ) and socket plug into other side of power supply.

Just a quick thank you,I finally bucked up courage and ordered LED replacements etc just fitted them this afternoon,will try them when it gets dark.keeping my fingers crossed.
Not a lot  of room to work,main problem when ones hands are in the gap vision is nil.
many thanks again for your advice,Seasons Greetings and lets all hope 2019 is a good year for one and all.

No reason at all they will not work, Kenneve car about Same age as yours.

Look more closely at the link to forum I posted in my first post here and there are fitting instructions with photographs, LED bulb test videos and other links.
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=8738.0

I have attached a PDF to this post with photos of my wifes Jazz Mk2 beam pattern on our garage door. ( Jaffa Jazz if you are unfamiliar with forum you will need to go into the body of the thread by clicking mouse on  'Is there a Jazz 2016 Headlight conversion Halogen to LED' part of the heading above and then you will see PDF attachment at the very bottom below this post - click on it and it should give you the option to open or download the PDF ).

Here are a couple of the best bulb test videos, the ones he does not shoot at in first video have the phillips style Luxeon and super ultinon LED chips ( same as the classiccarleds ones).

He gets on to Phillips Luxeon chipped bulbs properly after about 25 minute mark on video below.

guest7494

• Topic Starter
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2018, 04:17:02 PM »
thanks again lads.
LED Headlight bulbs replaced I managed to obtain the last set ordered yesterday,and delivered this morning Thursday,
bit tight for my old hands once there in the hole I. could not see the bits and bobs but finally managed by looking into headlight from outside,it gives you an idea where you are.anyway there in and appear to be working ok,will try them when it gets dark. thanks again to you all for ideas and advice given. Kindest wishes for Christmas and lets hope? 2019 is a GOOD one for us all.

Tags:

anything