Author Topic: Jump start  (Read 1181 times)

Roddy0000

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 Honda jazz my 3 CVT
Jump start
« on: October 23, 2018, 08:44:30 AM »
Hi, does anyone know whether on the mark 3 jump leads can be used to jump start another car, I am aware that on some cars it can damage the electronics. Many thanks. 

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Jump start
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 09:41:24 AM »
Hi, does anyone know whether on the mark 3 jump leads can be used to jump start another car, I am aware that on some cars it can damage the electronics. Many thanks.

jump starting from another battery should be fine as voltage is not more than 12 volts.  Connect positive clamp to bad battery first and then positive to donor battery, then negative to bad battery and then negative to donor battery ( this is to make sure you don't short any of the clips to each other or bodywork.

When bad car is running unclip negative from each battery first and then positive from either battery (again to make sure nothing shorts together - when you drop booster cables that are still attached to both terminals of either one battery and the clamps short together you will get an almighty spark ).

If you are not in a hurry it is better sometimes to run the engine on the donor car and not try to start the bad car straight away but just charge the battery up and then disconnect leads before trying to start the bad car.

I have a device that consists of a long length ( about 8 metres) of twin cable with a cigarette lighter socket plug on each end and a red light on each end, it is meant to plug into both donor and bad car and while the cables only carry about 10 amps max, it can be used to top up another cars battery enough to start the car. Where did I get it from ? I found it on a carpark - maybe someone used it and forgot to pick it up.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 10:32:24 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags: