Author Topic: Best Camera.  (Read 8970 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Best Camera.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2018, 06:13:11 AM »
My camera records at 1080p. 30 frames per second and at 140 degree wide angle view. This is perfectly adequate for a dash cam, whose footage you probable will never use. You can comfortably read number plates, but that comes down more to the lens resolution than the recording.

guest8014

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 07:33:34 AM »
I usually browse Amazon to get reviews and find that if I analyse the low scores to remove the ones that are just uninformed or 'didn't like the colour' types I get a fairly good idea of the actual feel. I see for these devices there are a lot on the market and was looking for the more discreet versions. Of course one has to remove it when parked otherwise the car is a target for smashed window. Should I worry?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 07:45:25 AM »
Of course one has to remove it when parked otherwise the car is a target for smashed window. Should I worry?
Not a lot of point. It is designed to start recording if your car is bumped while parked. A lot of good that will do if it is in your glove box. Mind you, you know your own area best!                       

guest8014

• Topic Starter
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 07:51:54 AM »
Jocko you certainly do 'Hot off the press'! Thanks for your instant replies. I am insuring with SAGA but has any one a view on stating a camera is being used? Going to a comparison site though for this one. At least I am in an 'A' post code. Currently I pay 225 quid for Ins and that includes about 112 for full recovery (although I wonder if I need it for a 18 reg vehicle and only 1000 miles). Is this good? i think so. I am 70+.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 07:57:10 AM »
I am 70+ as well, and just got my RAC membership, including Recovery, knocked down to £80 for this year and next!

guest8014

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 08:08:54 AM »
I am 70+ as well, and just got my RAC membership, including Recovery, knocked down to £80 for this year and next!
Hold on Joko, is that for recover Home? Although I have often wondered about getting it home as now I would not be able to do my own repair so maybe take to nearest dealer and insure for a replacement. Getting old and having to thinks about not being long way from home is definitely a PITA). Btw SAGA recovery has always worked well on the two occasions I needed it.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 08:48:55 AM »
If they cannot get you repaired they will recover you to home, or to garage of your choice or even onward to your destination. In fact, to any single destination in the UK.
I also have At Home, so if I go out to my car one morning, and it won't start, they come out and do whatever is required. I have only called them out once, recently, and that was to a failed battery. The guy fitted a new battery for me (had to pay for that) and that was me going.

guest8014

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2018, 09:47:36 AM »
OK, I'll think about that. Thanks. Even an easy life costs money nowadays!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2018, 10:32:16 AM »
One thing to bear in mind there are limitations where you can position a dashcam and still be legal.

https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/hub/how-to-fit-a-dash-cam/

Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2018, 01:53:18 PM »
The body of the camera is not much more than about 30 mm deep so if you mount it at the top of the wiper arc, and on the passenger side of the mirror, it doesn't intrude. This is my set up.

The rear of the camera shows a digital GPS speedometer and compass, on the model I have. The GPS speedometer is excellent.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2018, 03:20:03 PM »
The MK3 has the large sensor pod around the mirror area, while your installation looks good it would not work on the newer car.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2018, 03:52:31 PM »
The MK3 has the large sensor pod around the mirror area, while your installation looks good it would not work on the newer car.
I appreciate that. It would have to be further over to the passenger side, but it still only needs to encroach the lens width into the swept area.

guest8014

• Topic Starter
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2018, 04:24:49 PM »
Jocko, 53.4mpg?! That's pushing it isn't it?

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2018, 05:39:04 PM »
I appreciate that. It would have to be further over to the passenger side, but it still only needs to encroach the lens width into the swept area.

The attached photo shows the setup in my Mk3. The disc is glued to the mesh area and I have made up the bracket to bring the Camera further forward so the the view is not obscured by the senor pod. Also it does not obscure the passengers view too much.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2018, 05:42:59 PM »
Jocko, 53.4mpg?! That's pushing it isn't it?
54.3 mpg is the average over my entire ownership of the car. That is almost two and a half years, just over 20,000 miles and 59 fuel ups. That is a calculated figure, not numbers from the dashboard "fibometer".
I input my top ups at a couple of fuel sites, online. www.spritmonitor.de and http://www.fuelly.com

My best ever fuel figure for a top up is 70.9 mpg, and the worst 46 mpg. I have a ScanGauge E fitted to the car and it gives me a load of info, including instantaneous mpg (not something fitted to the Mk 1 Jazz), which I use to hone my mpg figures.

Tags:

anything