Author Topic: Main Beam Assist  (Read 10725 times)

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
Re: Main Beam Assist
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2018, 10:04:15 AM »
These have not been my experiences with the main beam assist on my Mk 3 Jazz.
Same here. I think I've had a couple of cases where it failed to dip the lights and it often dips them approaching a roundabout outside my estate (must be the new LED street lamps) but otherwise it does a good job. I think the people who don't trust it just don't understand the difference between 'being illuminated' and 'being dazzled'. Just because vehicles in front can see your headlights doesn't mean they are being dazzled by them.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2018, 10:19:45 AM »
I think the people who don't trust it just don't understand the difference between 'being illuminated' and 'being dazzled'. Just because vehicles in front can see your headlights doesn't mean they are being dazzled by them.

I understand only too well that main beam = being dazzled, even if the main beam is behind you - do you drive at night very often ??
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2018, 10:30:58 AM »
I think I can safely say that lorry drivers do not like my HID headlights on full beam when it fails to dip, and they make sure that I understand that.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »
I think I can safely say that lorry drivers do not like my HID headlights on full beam when it fails to dip, and they make sure that I understand that.

Obviously lorry drivers do not like being illuminated,  and if you are illuminating them enough to make them annoyed when they are  8  foot+ above the road imagine how annoyed a normal car driver would be at about 3 to 4  foot above the road  :o

Being blinded by oncoming lights on an unlit rural road means you lose your night vision for a fair distance,  not so bad on an urban road with streetlights.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

RichardA

• Administrator
  • Approved Member
    • https://clubjazz.org
  • My Honda: 2007 1.4 i-DSi Sport manual
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2018, 11:49:51 AM »
Off topic replies removed.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2018, 03:10:58 PM »
I think the people who don't trust it just don't understand the difference between 'being illuminated' and 'being dazzled'. Just because vehicles in front can see your headlights doesn't mean they are being dazzled by them.

I understand only too well that main beam = being dazzled, even if the main beam is behind you - do you drive at night very often ??
Yes, every day at the moment. And I'll reiterate - just because a vehicle is in front of you doesn't mean they are being dazzled. It depends how far in front of you they are, what height relative to your vehicle and what horizontal offset. Main beam only dazzles those directly within its coverage area. If a vehicle is more than 150 metres ahead the driver will not be being dazzled.

There's more information here.

As that document suggests and as various searches on Google show high beams typically only illuminate out to 350 ft or so (~110 metres).

Also here.

"While high beams help keep you safe, they can also endanger other drivers if you use them incorrectly. All states have laws requiring you to dim your high-beam headlights whenever there is a risk of blinding other drivers. The exact distance varies from state to state, but typically, high beam headlights must not be used within 500 feet of an approaching vehicle or within 200 or 300 feet of another vehicle you’re following."

The 500 ft of an approaching vehicle is probably to allow time for the driver to react and dip the lights rather than dazzling the oncoming driver earlier.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:16:20 PM by andruec »

Tags: