Author Topic: Gearbox Oil Leak (Driveshaft Seal Following Clutch Replacement)  (Read 2794 times)

JackH

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GD 1.4 Sport
Gearbox Oil Leak (Driveshaft Seal Following Clutch Replacement)
« on: October 15, 2018, 06:15:07 AM »
I recently had a new clutch installed in my 2007 GD Sport.

A few days after I got it back, I noticed some oil on the drive and when I looked underneath the car there was quite a bit all under the nearside, with further investigation revealing it was leaking past the seal which sits where the nearside driveshaft slots into the gearbox.

I ordered a new seal for here which was fitted by the mechanic but no improvement.

I then ordered another seal and this time they didn’t insert it fully, instead pushing it in the last bit with the driveshaft so that it remained tight up against the end of this.

Jacked the car up a few days ago to put some molyslip in the gearbox and found a much reduced leak from the same seal.

The mechanic has said its likely to be the driveshaft and to change this. I’m not so sure having seen the brute force they used to free the driveshaft from the hub and suspect the casing of the gearbox may have been damaged where the seal / driveshaft slots in but hoping I’m wrong.

Has anyone else experienced a leak like this following on from driveshaft / clutch removal and if so, what was the fix?

TIA
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 06:22:19 AM by JackH »

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: Gearbox Oil Leak (Driveshaft Seal Following Clutch Replacement)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 09:32:10 AM »
It is possible that your leak is caused by wear on the driveshaft, and this can sometimes only be a problem once the seal is disturbed.

Really, you need to have the driveshaft out and see if there is any damage or a wear groove in the shaft where the lipseal sits. This may be why your mechanic tried the seal protruding, so the actual lipseal sits on a better bit of shaft. If the shaft is worn, you could fit a wear sleeve, (Speedi-sleeve, Redi-sleeve, etc.) - they aren't cheap for what they are, but cheaper than a new driveshaft.

If the casting of the gearbox is damaged, it could be damaging the seal as it is inserted. This would need to be rectified before inserting a new seal, but it should be obvious to your average mechanic with a cursory feel with the digit.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 10:24:35 AM »
Euro Car Parts do drive shafts for £150.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 09:57:46 AM »
Euro Car Parts do drive shafts for £150.

Sleeving the old one would be cheaper  :o

Tags:

anything