Author Topic: Honda Jazz CVT - Getting the car quickly off the line from rest  (Read 7215 times)

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
Honda Jazz CVT - Getting the car quickly off the line from rest
« on: October 06, 2018, 07:05:28 PM »
Any thoughts on whats the fastest way to get the CVT Jazz off the line from rest when joining a roundabout for example?

So Sport mode helps but am I missing something with the paddles, because I always notice a slight lag when booting the throttle.

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Honda Jazz CVT - Getting the car quickly off the line from rest
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 07:22:43 PM »
'S' mode definitely helps, I use it a lot. I think 'S' mode is better than the paddles as you only have to select it then it's all on the throttle. The paddles move with wheel and aren't always where you want them.
Use 'S' mode and lots of throttle you will not damage anything'

Vic.

barcam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 07:49:03 PM »
I notice a subliminal click at the end of the throttle. I wonder if that does anything.

I also was thinking would the use of the paddles help as you push hard to max revs particularly in second and third.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 08:29:40 PM »

I notice a subliminal click at the end of the throttle. I wonder if that does anything.

That one is easy, floor the accelerator pedal beyond the click and keep it there, just make sure there is plenty of clear straight road in front of you. For some reason doing that makes Mrs Sky squeal and threaten me with unpleasantries.  :o
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:34:39 PM by Skyrider »

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 08:33:41 PM »

That one is easy, floor the accelerator pedal beyond the click and keep it there, just make sure there is plenty of clear road in front of you.
Yep, that'll do it . . . . formerly known as kickdown

barcam

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »

That one is easy, floor the accelerator pedal beyond the click and keep it there, just make sure there is plenty of clear straight road in front of you. For some reason doing that makes Mrs Sky squeal and threaten me with unpleasantries.  :o

I stuck behind a really slow car today with a  1.3 Jazz behind me on the dual carriageway and I hit the throttle really hard past the throttle click and the car took off leaving both cars well behind. This is  a car you have give big handfuls of throttle. I wondered at the time if the Jazz  behind me was aware I had a 1.5 engine. The Wife remarked the car does really does go well when required.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 08:53:27 PM by Barcam »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 11:12:04 AM »

I stuck behind a really slow car today with a  1.3 Jazz behind me on the dual carriageway and I hit the throttle really hard past the throttle click and the car took off leaving both cars well behind. This is  a car you have give big handfuls of throttle. I wondered at the time if the Jazz  behind me was aware I had a 1.5 engine. The Wife remarked the car does really does go well when required.

Even the MK2 1.4 goes a bit if you are prepared to rev it,  but not as well as the 1.8 Civic, which is less stressful for overtaking in as it has more 'reserve' power.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 01:35:01 PM »
The 1.8 Civic has 8 bhp and about 10 ft-lbs more than the 1.5 Jazz in a heavier bodyshell. Hence the similar 0-60 time.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 01:39:50 PM by Skyrider »

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 02:04:56 PM »
I find I overtake so seldom. Round about here the roads don't permit a lot of overtaking especially since we have large stretches of country roads with 40 and 50 mph limits. About the only overtaking I do is the occasional "sports" cyclist. At the weekend they come out like cockroaches.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 03:10:48 PM »
I find I overtake so seldom. Round about here the roads don't permit a lot of overtaking especially since we have large stretches of country roads with 40 and 50 mph limits. About the only overtaking I do is the occasional "sports" cyclist. At the weekend they come out like cockroaches.

I rarely overtake vehicles that are doing anywhere near the speed limit either, only the ones taking the pi55 doing 40 or less in  60 limit.  It is dangerous enough on the proper side of the road, the less time I spend on the wrong side the better I like it.  I also have an anti-overtaking device in the car with me when Mrs. C is in the passenger seat.

I can overtake easily on my bike, which has plenty of oomph, but am still happy not too as long as people are near speed limit. I rarely exceed speed limits these days, just not worth it.. I have been passed by cars and caught up with them a few miles later so many times.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 03:25:56 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 03:59:19 PM »
+1 for not overtaking very much. My motoring does tend to be a mix of urban roads (most in fact), some motorway and some country lanes. In fact I don't think I've done a conventional overtaking manoeuvre since I got the car back in February.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 04:15:04 PM »
I'm with culzean, I usually only overtake drivers travelling way below the limit. Acceleration is more important than speed, the huge advantage the 1.5 has over the 1.3. Along with its other well documented advantages.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 07:22:54 PM »
Regarding my previous comment above about often catching up with cars that have overtaken you. They are so predictable when they see you in their mirror behind them, a lot of them will do some stupid, dangerous overtake just to put some vehicles between themselves and you, seems some people take things personally LOL

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 07:43:19 PM »
There's only so much you can do. None of the CVT variants of the Jazz have been particularly fast off the line. I think the CVT is trying to protect itself. You just have to learn to anticipate and get going ahead of time.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 08:00:15 PM »
One of the most fun driving cars I ever owned was my FIAT 126. 2 cylinder, 594 cc, 23 bhp, 29 lb ft of torque. It was like driving a truck. You had to take a run at hills, change down early (4 speed gearbox) and really work to get the best out of it. But it was fun and very rewarding when you did things right. The 155/65 f310 Dunlop Denovo tyres were wide compared to the 135/80's fitted to the standard wheels, very soft and grippy, and wore out in 10K miles, but made the car handle incredibly well.

Tags:

anything