Author Topic: too much road noise  (Read 12517 times)

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
Re: too much road noise
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 08:35:25 AM »
CrossClimate tyres tyres are, at 68db, one of the quieter tyres out there.

I saw that Jocko, but if you look around some other forums, you will find a few complaints about the noise from these tyres - as well as others saying they are quiet. There are certainly mixed views, perhaps it's just certain car/tyre combinations.

Tyre manufacturers are allowed to make these noise/treadwear/economy figures up themselves anyway, I'm not sure that they actually mean a great deal in my experience. If anyone took any notice of them, we would all be running round on ditchfinders.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 08:40:57 AM by sparky Paul »

ob13

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 07:31:46 PM »
I reckon my jazz is pretty quiet,i did 520 miles in a day up to huddersfield and back last month and don't remember giving it any thought so can't be too bad. I suppose it depends what you are used to and the expectations you have.

A few weeks after i first got it i did notice what sounded like a rear wheel bearing noise to me but only some road surfaces showed it up.Mot bloke showed me that rear ns tyre was wearing funny and stepping and said this would cause same noise,after a couple of motorway runs even that has now stopped!

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2018, 08:04:49 PM »
A few weeks after i first got it i did notice what sounded like a rear wheel bearing noise to me but only some road surfaces showed it up.Mot bloke showed me that rear ns tyre was wearing funny and stepping and said this would cause same noise,after a couple of motorway runs even that has now stopped!

By odd coincidence, I had the same thing suddenly appear with the NS rear tyre, quite severe feathering of the block pattern on the inside, with noticeable scalloping. I knew the wheel bearing on that corner was starting to get a little noisy, but I didn't connect it to the tyre wear.

I replaced the bearing, which solved the bearing noise, but by then most of the noise was coming from the tyre. After checking the obvious, rear tracking, bushes etc., I was starting to suspect shock absorber, but I fitted a new pair of tyres on the back and put the rear pair on the front. The noise obviously transferred to the front, but never got any better - so I ended up putting a new pair on the front too.

The odd thing is, the new rear tyres have been on for several thousand miles now, and after finding no other problems, there's absolutely no trace of unusual wear whatsoever. That leaves either a faulty tyre, or the wheel bearing that was causing the odd wear.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 08:13:16 PM by sparky Paul »

ob13

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2004 jazz
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2018, 08:55:35 PM »
My car is low mileage,mot man reckoned it could just been an old tyre.I had wheel off the other the other day and looked at the code and that particular tyre is 10 years old!

istvantamas

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz 2004 and honda civic 1.6i-vt
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 09:48:09 PM »
mine is loud between 50-80mph.
weird.
1.4dsi honda jazz 2004
1.6i-vt honda civic 1990 (ee9)

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 10:47:11 PM »
weird.

What's it like between 80-110?

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2018, 11:11:13 PM »
I'm only on the motorway for 2 junctions so i rarely get over 60.

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2018, 11:39:13 PM »
I'm only on the motorway for 2 junctions so i rarely get over 60.

Shame. I find the engine tends to be a little rough at 70 MPH. Push through the sound barrier to 75-80 MPH and I find everything seems to harmonize and the engine is as sweet as a nut. I do get a bit of road roar and booming in the cabin on certain surfaces. It came with Dunlop's on all four. I have used Toyo's in the past so I will probably fit them next time. I have always found them to be a good all round, fairly quiet and nice handling tyre.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 11:52:34 PM by MartinJG »

istvantamas

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda jazz 2004 and honda civic 1.6i-vt
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2018, 06:40:26 AM »
weird.

What's it like between 80-110?

Its like the engine or exhaust is more louder.but when i reach 80 or slow down to under 50 its not that loud again.
1.4dsi honda jazz 2004
1.6i-vt honda civic 1990 (ee9)

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2019, 02:35:00 PM »
Thought I'd resurrect this topic as I had also found the road noise on my 08 1.4 Sport wearing.

So I spent almost three pounds on some 3mm rubber sheet on eBay and did the mod described here http://www.hondafitjazz.com/ring.html. Fitting a rubber washer to the top of the front suspension.

It took only 30 minutes to do and has made a vast difference.

Between 50 and 70 road or tyre noise is almost gone. It's also smoother and quieter around town. Much more of a difference than when I changed the tyres.
"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

dg

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 1.4 SE + 2015 1.3 S
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2019, 09:00:36 PM »
I am having the same issue, noise coming from the back, intensifying and peaking at 50-70 mph
It was not an issue before, recent problem for a year or so
with different tyres at the back..

weird.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2019, 09:14:22 PM »
Tyres can make a huge difference to road noise. I once replaced two "near new" tyres because they were so noisy and completely spoilt the car (Carlton if I remember right).

dg

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2002 1.4 SE + 2015 1.3 S
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2019, 09:23:01 PM »
currently run crosslimates, but issue started on well seasoned summers/winters which had no issues before
got spare summers, will swap to doublecheck
it's weird vibrating resonating sound way to loud for just rubber

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2019, 08:55:11 AM »

You would be surprised how much noise a tyre can make. Have a good look at your rear tye, make sure there is no feathering or scalloping to the tread on the inside - you should be able to rub your hand around the tread both ways, and not feel any significant difference.

The real bad one I had on the rear sounded worse than the bad wheel bearing in the end, it was unbearable. It was on the hub which had the bearing replacement, and when I examined the tyre after changing it, the high spots on the inside of the tread coincided with the number of balls in the bearing. Wierd!

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2019, 09:12:00 AM »

You would be surprised how much noise a tyre can make. Have a good look at your rear tye, make sure there is no feathering or scalloping to the tread on the inside - you should be able to rub your hand around the tread both ways, and not feel any significant difference.

The real bad one I had on the rear sounded worse than the bad wheel bearing in the end, it was unbearable. It was on the hub which had the bearing replacement, and when I examined the tyre after changing it, the high spots on the inside of the tread coincided with the number of balls in the bearing. Wierd!

+1

After I changed the OEM Pirelli tyres on my first Civic to Michelin I really thought I had gone deaf,  1 had to turn the radio down a lot and for the first time I could easily speak to people in the car.  Tyres now have to show a decibel rating - which is a logarithmic scale power 10, so eg a tyre 3db higher is a lot louder.

https://www.explainthatstuff.com/soundlevelmeters.html
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything