Author Topic: bluetooth connectivity  (Read 22738 times)

Ralph

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Previously owned a 2018 Jazz EX CVT
Re: bluetooth connectivity
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2018, 09:25:06 AM »
Has anybody thought that this might not be Honda’s fault as a quick web search on the Huawei P10 phone shows quite a few complaints of flaky blue tooth connections

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2018, 09:54:34 AM »
Has anybody thought that this might not be Honda’s fault as a quick web search on the Huawei P10 phone shows quite a few complaints of flaky blue tooth connections
Well, there was me. In the first reply of the thread ;)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 09:56:52 AM by andruec »

Ralph

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2018, 10:25:52 AM »

Yes apologies I did see that but I thought it had got lost in all the other replies

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2018, 10:49:37 AM »
Well yes, but it's not necessarily wise to draw conclusions from too small a data set. If you do Google searches for, say "<insert name of popular phone> bluetooth problem", you will find people having similar problems with other phones and sites telling you how to fix it, eg:
https://wccftech.com/bluetooth-motorola-fix-play-protect/
https://www.imore.com/how-to-fix-bluetooth-iphone-ipad
http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-3063562/resolve-bluetooth-connectivity-issues-galaxy.html
So from that you would have to conclude that many phones have bluetooth issues, which probably isn't true !

Ralph

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 11:40:55 AM »
Well yes, but it's not necessarily wise to draw conclusions from too small a data set. If you do Google searches for, say "<insert name of popular phone> bluetooth problem", you will find people having similar problems with other phones and sites telling you how to fix it, eg:
https://wccftech.com/bluetooth-motorola-fix-play-protect/
https://www.imore.com/how-to-fix-bluetooth-iphone-ipad
http://www.tomsguide.com/faq/id-3063562/resolve-bluetooth-connectivity-issues-galaxy.html
So from that you would have to conclude that many phones have bluetooth issues, which probably isn't true !

Yes you’re right but in this particular instance I thought there might be another reason for the problem other than “Honda’s system is garbage” if you follow andruec’s link in his first reply you can see there are a few possible fixes to rectify this problem

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 12:01:50 PM »
I have just read the 2018 Jazz brochure, I can't find any reference to mirror link.

This is the 2018 spec from the brochure -

♦ Honda CONNECT with CD player (7" Touchscreen
Display with: AM/FM Tuner, Internet Radio, Aha™ App
Integration and Internet Browsing*)

It also mentions this -

*Connectivity for Aha™ app (including internet radio) and for internet browsing is through WiFi tethering or mobile WiFi router. Data usage and roaming charges
may result from using applications on Honda CONNECT. We recommend you check your mobile phone subscribed package. Internet browsing function can
only be used when the car is stationary.
†Always use the recommended USB flash memory device. Some USB memory devices may not work in this audio unit.
ΔPlease ask your dealer for a list of compatible Bluetooth™ phones, pairing procedures and special feature compatibilities

It does say that DAB radio is an option, I thought they all had that.

If you expect more than this you have bought the wrong car.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:15:43 PM by Skyrider »

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2018, 01:50:24 PM »
I have just read the 2018 Jazz brochure, I can't find any reference to mirror link.
In that case they've removed it, presumably having realised it didn't work.

But when I bought my car it was in the brochure (see pic). It didn't work then, and other comments earlier in this forum suggested that was because Honda had implemented an earlier version of MirrorLink that was not compatible with the latest version included in phones.

Sezlez

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi

ColinB

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2018, 05:00:48 PM »
Link gives a handy FAQ on the Honda Connect (MirrorLink page 5)

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/owners/manuals-and-guides/honda-connect-faq/_jcr_content/headerPar/richtextcolumn_c731/par/richtextdownload_e49/file.res/Honda%20Connect_FAQ_Ver1.2.pdf
Oh dear, a bit of groundhog day going on here, methinks. Plenty of other threads and comments in the forum about the usefulness, or otherwise, of MirrorLink, eg:
https://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=7725
Bottom line is that, despite the claims in Honda's brochures & FAQs, I don't think anyone's actually reported getting it to work (and plenty of people have reported it not working). Best guess about the reason for that seems to be an incompatibility between the version of MirrorLink installed in the car and the version installed on phones. Chocolate teapot. If Honda have finally stopped claiming it as a feature on the latest models as SkyRider reports, that's good.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2018, 06:21:13 PM »
And why would you want it in a car anyway?  People complain about the technology that we already have.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2018, 07:47:56 PM »
It amazes me that the people who claim to know so much about in car technology don't do their research before they buy a car. I seems to me they buy the one they like the colour of and then complain about it when it doesn't do what the expect.  ;D

I did the same myself, I made the mistake of buying a Jazz with a gutless 1.3 engine, but people were not complaining about it at the time, an excellent car spoiled by its engine. At least I admit my mistake and put it right as soon as the 1.5 engine became available in the UK.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:52:34 PM by Skyrider »

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2018, 07:58:36 PM »
And why would you want it in a car anyway?  People complain about the technology that we already have.
Only because it's poorly implemented. Mirrorlink should in theory have allowed us to render the phone's screen on the infotainment which would mean a larger screen for satnav apps. Quite a nice alternative to paying over the odds for the (probably buggy and uncertain update future) app that Honda try to peddle.

andruec

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2018, 08:05:49 PM »
It amazes me that the people who claim to know so much about in car technology don't do their research before they buy a car. I seems to me they buy the one they like the colour of and then complain about it when it doesn't do what the expect.  ;D

I did the same myself, I made the mistake of buying a Jazz with a gutless 1.3 engine, but people were not complaining about it at the time, an excellent car spoiled by its engine. At least I admit my mistake and put it right as soon as the 1.5 engine became available in the UK.
But we didn't make a mistake. Unlike you we actually did do our research. The car simply doesn't do all that we were told it could do. Some of us experienced six months (nearly a year for some) of the infotainment unit crashing then taking over a minute to boot back up again. Several of us have also experienced faults with the vehicle that suggest poor (at least by Honda standards) build quality.

I'm pleased for you that you are so happy that you're willing to defend Honda against all criticism. Well..sorta pleased for you. Then again I'd have done that with my Mk1 and Mk2 Jazz. The Mk3 whilst overall being the better car has tarnished a lot of our views of Honda. It had a lot to live up to and it's failed. It's the only Honda out of the six I've owned that has developed a fault. And it's developed three of them. One of them is fixed. The other two I have to live with because my dealer is unable to help resolve them because they are intermittent.

I actually suspect that it being built in Japan may be part of the problem. I really hope they bring production back to Swindon eventually because I think that even if they are just assembling components their input may help remove the rough edges.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:07:52 PM by andruec »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2018, 08:22:35 PM »
I don't need to defend Honda, they have supplied me with two perfectly reliable cars. The only downside is that one had a gutless engine. I still maintain that only a tiny percentage of Jazz owners have problems or there would be more media reports, watchdog type program investigations, trading standard  reports etc. A few people complaining on a forum is hardly a representative cross section of owners.
I am only a minority because people who are happy with their cars dont complain or post about their reliable cars. Any motoring forum tends to be a complainers platform. If you don't like your car, change it. Owning a Jazz is not compulsory.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 08:30:02 PM by Skyrider »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2018, 08:26:08 PM »
Only because it's poorly implemented. Mirrorlink should in theory have allowed us to render the phone's screen on the infotainment which would mean a larger screen for satnav apps. Quite a nice alternative to paying over the odds for the (probably buggy and uncertain update future) app that Honda try to peddle.
If you refer to the Garmin sat-nav that comes with the NAVI model.  I have that and it is solid as a rock on mine.  Never once failed me.

Tags: