Author Topic: Speed limit signs.  (Read 1021 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Speed limit signs.
« on: July 21, 2018, 05:48:33 PM »
Today, as usual on a summer Saturday, the traffic approaching the Queensferry Crossing was queuing and they had a speed limit enforced. The Smart speed limit signs were reducing traffic speed, first to 50 mph, and then to 40. As you approached the bridge the off slip for South Queensferry was showing National Speed Limit Applies for the traffic going that way, but continuing at 40 mph for the bridge itself. Then, once you got on the bridge, and the traffic thinned out, the signs were all off. By the time I got to the North end of the bridge traffic was back up to 70 mph.
My question is, under law, should the 40 mph limit not be in force until it is rescinded, either by NSLA or by another "speed" sign? If that was the case, the first sign to rescind the 40 was a 70 at Rosyth, a couple of miles North of the bridge.
I realise that road works are great at sticking a speed limit sign to slow the traffic, and that is your lot, but this was on a national motorway system. Seems like slack traffic management by Traffic Scotland.
I take it the guys with speed sensor systems will either continue at 40, or have to manually override the system?

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
Re: Speed limit signs.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 08:24:58 AM »
My question is, under law, should the 40 mph limit not be in force until it is rescinded, either by NSLA or by another "speed" sign?
The law requires that any limit other than NSL or 30 must have periodic repeater signs as well as the signs at start and finish of the restriction. If those weren’t present then the speed limit wasn’t properly signed and anyone prosecuted for speeding would have a ready-made defence.

Tags: