Author Topic: 1.5 Jazz fuel consumption.  (Read 2964 times)

mikebore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 1.3 Mk 3 SE CVT
1.5 Jazz fuel consumption.
« on: May 06, 2018, 02:36:43 PM »
I was killing time in the showroom of my local Honda dealer, and there was a 1.3 CVT S next to a 1.5 Sport Navi manual.

Both had the usual data sheet on a stand next to the car, and I looked at the official fuel consumption.

As we know official figures are flawed but for comparison between two similar cars may be less so. The numbers were a big surprise to me:

Urban:

1.3: 53.3 mpg
1.5: 39.2 mpg

Extra Urban:

1.3: 68.9 mpg
1.5: 55.4 mpg

Combined:

1.3: 61.4 mpg
1.5: 47.9 mpg

CO2:

1.3: 106 g/km
1.5: 133 g/km

I know in the 1.3 range the CVT official are slightly better than manual, so maybe this accounts for some of the 22% difference. This would make me think twice.

What are you new 1.5 owners seeing?

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
Re: 1.5 Jazz fuel consumption.
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 03:39:47 PM »
So far I am getting around 42mpg on  brim to brim fill basis over some 1300 miles. This is very little different to my two previous 1.3 CVTs at the same mileage.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 04:15:06 PM »
I was killing time in the showroom of my local Honda dealer, and there was a 1.3 CVT S next to a 1.5 Sport Navi manual.

Both had the usual data sheet on a stand next to the car, and I looked at the official fuel consumption.

As we know official figures are flawed but for comparison between two similar cars may be less so. The numbers were a big surprise to me.

I know in the 1.3 range the CVT official are slightly better than manual, so maybe this accounts for some of the 22% difference. This would make me think twice.

What are you new 1.5 owners seeing?
You are not quite comparing like with like.  The figures for the 1.3 SE cvt are not as good as for the S version, presumably because of weight difference.  However, the urban figure for the 1.5 sport certainly reflects the different performance commented on elsewhere.  "No pain, no gain!"

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 04:32:30 PM »
So buyers hoping for more power and better MPG - maybe if you don't often use the extra power of the 1.5 and drive real careful (like a nun) the majority of the time you my get close to 1.3, but normally people want extra power so that they can use it,  and if you use it you will get worse MPG.

The 1.3 was probably the best compromise of decent performance if you rev it (and it is no slouch) with best MPG for most of the time.   Also only having a 1.3 engine kept Jazz safe from scrotes wanting to steal it, maybe 1.5 will become a desirable vehicle for them now.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skyrider

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.5 Sport CVT.
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 04:56:17 PM »
So buyers hoping for more power and better MPG - maybe if you don't often use the extra power of the 1.5 and drive real careful (like a nun) the majority of the time you my get close to 1.3, but normally people want extra power so that they can use it,  and if you use it you will get worse MPG.

The 1.3 was probably the best compromise of decent performance if you rev it (and it is no slouch) with best MPG for most of the time.   Also only having a 1.3 engine kept Jazz safe from scrotes wanting to steal it, maybe 1.5 will become a desirable vehicle for them now.

I have found over decades of driving that the biggest engine (within reason) in a specific model gives a good reserve of power and the most pleasant driving experience. I am retired, I am not a slave to a clock or phone, and stick to the speed limits (ish). I don't gives toss about fuel consumption although at the moment driving gently it is similar to my 1.3. Our local Scrotes would not be seen dead in a Jazz.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2018, 05:11:08 PM »

I have found over decades of driving that the biggest engine (within reason) in a specific model gives a good reserve of power and the most pleasant driving experience. I am retired, I am not a slave to a clock or phone, and stick to the speed limits (ish). I don't gives toss about fuel consumption although at the moment driving gently it is similar to my 1.3. Our local Scrotes would not be seen dead in a Jazz.

I drive a 1.8 Civic and love it,  get decent fuel consumption and drive within speed limits  but extra power is useful at times,  but I do not expect MPG above mid 40's unless I am really going all out for economy.   My wife gets about 10 mpg better than Civic normally in her 1.3 MK2.

Local scrotes don't like present Jazz because of its perceived low performance, but 1.5 is getting nearer to their territory.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 07:52:49 PM »
I see that the official fuel consumption figures for the 1.5 HR-V CVT are much better than the Jazz with the same engine.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 08:15:38 PM »
I see that the official fuel consumption figures for the 1.5 HR-V CVT are much better than the Jazz with the same engine.

That's because the Jazz has a go faster plastic body kit and is aimed at geriatric boy racers.

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 08:25:16 AM »
I prefer a bit more power particularly when pulling out from road junctions, the roads are so busy these days. I mostly do short journeys of 5/6 miles from cold 50/50 country lanes and town. The latest figures has the trip showing 50.9 mpg which when adjusted for trip computer accuracy gives 48.3 mpg. The warm weather makes a big difference, my last brim to brim measurement when it was colder gave 45.9 mpg. The trip computer is optimistic by a consistent 5%.

I freely admit it I'm a old aged boy racer, oh and yes I picked Red, it goes really well with the black wheels.

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 08:29:14 AM »
I prefer a bit more power particularly when pulling out from road junctions,

I freely admit it I'm a old aged boy racer, oh and yes I picked Red, it goes really well with the black wheels.

Me too!! Mine is Skyride Blue, the boss's choice but it grows on you.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:30:55 AM by Deeps »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2018, 08:31:34 AM »

Skyrider

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2018, 08:32:51 AM »

Me too!! Mine is Skyride Blue, the boss's choice but it grows on you. She does not like the red stripes on the front and back though.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 08:35:40 AM by Deeps »

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2018, 08:35:25 AM »

The best bit is nobody expects a Jazz to pull away so quickly.

andruec

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: (ex)Jazz Mk3 EX-t
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2018, 10:17:26 AM »

I find that in general few people ever use the full capability of their vehicle. This has been the case for as long as I've been driving. I can nearly always out 'drag' others from a standing start even though I usually only push the accelerator about half way (with the Jazz I aim for 3,000 rpm). I also know what my car and I can do on bends and almost never use my brakes.

A couple of weeks ago I was followed through a 30mph zone by someone who clearly didn't like obeying the speed limit (I'm that guy who is almost religious about never exceeding the speed limit, and never ever on single lane roads). When we reached the NSL they moved out to pass and were surprised to get left behind. On that occasion I deliberately floored the accelerator (albeit in D not S) in order to avoid me having to hold back and let them in due to the short distance in which they had to get past. They didn't even manage to get level with my rear bumper before they gave up. And, much as I'd expected, they then drove along the road (narrow(ish) rural) at about 50mph while I gradually left them behind at 60mph.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2018, 10:40:42 AM »

I find that in general few people ever use the full capability of their vehicle. This has been the case for as long as I've been driving. I can nearly always out 'drag' others from a standing start even though I usually only push the accelerator about half way (with the Jazz I aim for 3,000 rpm). I also know what my car and I can do on bends and almost never use my brakes.

A couple of weeks ago I was followed through a 30mph zone by someone who clearly didn't like obeying the speed limit (I'm that guy who is almost religious about never exceeding the speed limit, and never ever on single lane roads). When we reached the NSL they moved out to pass and were surprised to get left behind. On that occasion I deliberately floored the accelerator (albeit in D not S) in order to avoid me having to hold back and let them in due to the short distance in which they had to get past. They didn't even manage to get level with my rear bumper before they gave up. And, much as I'd expected, they then drove along the road (narrow(ish) rural) at about 50mph while I gradually left them behind at 60mph.

I have followed drivers travelling 40 in 60 limit,  only to find they do 40 in a 30 limit and some even seem to travel through 20 limits (which are becoming a lot more common) at 40 because they pull away really quickly from me (who is doing 20) - it is scary that they seem to go everywhere at one speed but ignore the limit signs.    I had a Beemer right on rear bumper going through 30 limit zone the other day,  until we went past a mobile speed van,  he then dropped back a bit (i had probably saved him from a fine and points),  what i did notice is that in just over a mile of driving the speed limit had changed about 6 times from 50 to 40 to 30 and back. 

Tags: