Author Topic: Manufacturers and their attitude to the British motoring public  (Read 1903 times)

guest5079

I read with interest the link about BMW and yesterday at the Dentists I was amazed at what I read in a Car magazine. 1) was a man bought a 2010 diesel mini, took out RAC Diamond? warranty. The Mini after 10 months blew up. The timing chain had broken and wrecked the engine .RAC refused to pay out on the grounds the timing chain had reached the end of it's useful life. The owner should have heard it rattling. No car unless he coughs up circa £5000 for a new engine.
2)Seat or Skoda can't remember which, taken in for it's ECU to be changed under the VAG recall due to their fiddling. The dealer refused to replace the ECU as it had been changed at some time .He was faced with a bill for £1200 After argument did replace it. What their problem was I know not they were going to replace it anyway. 3) Mazda MX5 age not known but it suggests it was new as the owner complained of increasing difficulty in engaging gears. After a lot of unpleasantness, the garage replaced the gearbox with one from another( it did not make it clear where it came from) Imagine the owners disgust when he found out Mazda knew of the problem and the directive in the USA was to replace all the gearboxes there .4) Lastly a Honda owner, always bought Hondas and always maintained by his dealer. After 4 yrs and 50,000 miles the engine developed a misfire, took it to his dealer who eventually informed the  owner a new engine was needed. Taken up with Honda who grudgingly agreed to the dealer stripping the engine down and depending what was found they might help. Owner could not be without a car had a new engine installed ( not made clear what 'new' engine) was but then Honda said tough as we don't know what was wrong we will give you £200 worth of servicing vouchers. Here's the clincher  he exchanged the car for a s/h CRV. Would you have bought another Honda? It does appear here in the UK that we are taken for patsy's. As to Vauxhall and the Zafira fire  problem a step in the right direction but why has it taken so long?

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Manufacturers and their attitude to the British motoring public
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 06:59:13 PM »
https://www.denverpost.com/2015/02/24/in-u-s-used-cars-often-sold-without-repairs-despite-recalls/

I don't know if legislation to stop this has been passed yet,  but I am surprised that it could happen in USA with their proactive legal slant on life, and one lawyer for every 5 people at last count LOL.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

trebor1652

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64.7 mpg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Crystal Red Two Tone
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 11:36:52 AM »
I'm surprised that we do not seem to have the equivalent of the USA lemon laws!!!!!

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 12:03:59 PM »
I'm surprised that we do not seem to have the equivalent of the USA lemon laws!!!!!

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

We have pretty good consumer law in UK the law was updated in 2015, if vehicle bought from a registered business you have 6 months after sale during which the fault will be considered to have been there at time of purchase,  after 6 months it gets a bit stickier.   Private purchases are exempt from the laws and you have to take you own civil action against seller, small claims court is cheap and up to cars worth £10K,  but for larger amounts it can become expensive unless you win the case as you can have costs awarded against you.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/taking-legal-action/small-claims/small-claims/
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Tags:

anything