Author Topic: Insurance Renewal...How Much!  (Read 8994 times)

Spencer69

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: JAZZ I-VTEC SI 5 dr (nearly)!
Re: Insurance Renewal...How Much!
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2018, 05:00:18 PM »
Wow! Didn't expect as many responses but cracking all the same. All contents noted and already done since last post.

Uptodate situation-received reply from current insurers and hae returned with 'renewed' renewal knocking off £40 off original renewal quote, so down from £530 to £490.00! Not bad but know could do better-also armed with details of 'no fault claim'.

Prior to logging in today, as mentioned in earlier post tried 'quotemehappy.com' direct and not via comparison (that was next excercise). With all new details inc no fault claim they returned quote of £400.00...so now a further £90.00 in my favour from renewed renewal of current insurer! As an addition when all new info, again obviously now with full detials of 'no fault claim' interesting that comparison websites returned differing quotes from this company, quotemehappy, of £345.00 (an added bonus of further £55.00 in my favour) which is alot different from their own website quote of £400.00.

Dayjo, am aware you are with quotemehappy. Are you happy with them and have you found navigating their website easy enough (only ask this as it is a website only company-save for when having to report accident/incident)? If so, will be quite happy to go with them saving over £180.00 which cannot these days be sniffed at!

Will also, as matter of courtesy give current insurers opportunity to match, but do not really hold out much hope...not as much as £180.00 anyway.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2018, 05:07:28 PM »
Apologies for got a couple of points.

Jocko, as you say your renewal date is too far off for comparison sites to give quote, you can always ask for quote within next 30 days and receive quotes on this basis-dout it would have much if any difference-after all you are only asking for quotes and are not obliged. It will/may at least give you a ball park figure.

Another 'anomaly' I found was that when I did quote 3 days ago (ie without notice of no fault claim) and then again today, at least 2 companies had actually quoted me cheaper prices with no fault claim info, by at least £30!

Let's see how far we get!

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2018, 05:55:41 PM »
Jocko, as you say your renewal date is too far off for comparison sites to give quote, you can always ask for quote within next 30 days and receive quotes on this basis-dout it would have much if any difference-after all you are only asking for quotes and are not obliged. It will/may at least give you a ball park figure.
Saga and Direct Line quoted. Both were within a few pence of each other, and within £2 of last year's price.

harry22673

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2018, 07:31:48 PM »
My renewal came up more and they tried claiming it was to do with interest rates, as you'd expect them to.
I had insurance with a box and have now moved away from that to a modified car insurance and that came up less than with a box. This year is about £740 if I remember rightly which is the cheapest mine has ever been.
When I was looking before as well I am 99% sure that the earlier you do the quote in the morning, the lower the price is. I did it at 5 once as I couldn't get back to sleep and it was a noticeably lower price

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2018, 07:40:10 PM »
Dayjo, am aware you are with quotemehappy. Are you happy with them and have you found navigating their website easy enough (only ask this as it is a website only company-save for when having to report accident/incident)? If so, will be quite happy to go with them saving over £180.00 which cannot these days be sniffed at!
Very happy, Spencer!

I needed to swap reg number, on my "old" car. Then 3 weeks later, swap cars..... All done, by easily editing my details. Simples!
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

Dayjo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018. EX Navi CVT.
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2018, 07:45:00 PM »
Saga and Direct Line quoted. Both were within a few pence of each other, and within £2 of last year's price.
Over, some 30 years of trying. I've never had a sensible quote from Saga!
 Always, £100 to £200 more, than anyone else......  ::)
David.
Drive them 'til the roads wear out.......

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 08:31:09 AM »
Insurance companies have monthly sales targets to meet (like cars). Quotes at end of month are likely to be cheaper than at start...

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2018, 05:21:22 PM »
hi Dayjo, good to hear & TY for reply. For own benefit wanted a trusted opinion as so many good and bad reviews & to be fair exact same for all companies. Many of the complaints seem to be around the fact that all matters (save for claim) are done online & more recently problems had with many of their customers in April when website having maintenance.

Not really any different from current insurer (Esure) who again seem to deal with majority of bits online but charge admin fees for changes to policy-change of address etc I expect. To be fair have found them (Esure) to be a great company, save current renewals, and especially when it came to July last year when they contacted me as 'other driver' in my 'no fault claim' were also insured by them. Have only good things to say about their claims dept but feel this year maybe losing a customer (what galls me further is that for new customers there is a discount which equates to not so far off the quote from quotemehappy).

Still have until nearer end of month until a definite decision made. Only other co I would be looking maybe General Accident...bu realise that like many, quotemehappy & GA are both 'connected' to Aviva!

Lastly, for today, don't think Saga would give quote as not 50 yet (in now way is that meant to be ageist, cheeky or anything more than tongue in cheek!). :-)

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2018, 07:15:34 PM »
Insurance quoting is a mine field.
My insurance is due at the end of the month so I started looking around.
I got quotes from that 'singing' chap at 'Go Compare'
Tesco Bank quoted £396 so out of curiosity I went to the Tesco Bank website and for identical cover the quote was £442.
Lloyds, who I am currently with, refused to quote me on 'Go Compare' !

Vic.

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2018, 09:22:38 PM »
Absolutely, Vic. Cannot/do not understand how same company whether via their actual website or on omparison can throw out 2 totally disproportionate figures based on exact same information/data! In my case this was a difference of over £50 (have to say have confirmed with website that they will honour the lowest quote & if anybody else in this position/situation, simply go to the comparison website you obtained cheaper quote & go through that link which will allow you to accept the lower figure given by comparison site not the actual company website) which at the end of the day is a free MOT & something towards the car service!

Just 1 more tip to those who find again in this situation. If you do find a cheaper than renewal quote within 30 days of your renewal, I have been told that it is possible to purchase your new cheaper insurance early (in my case maybe 2-3 weeks early). I understand that for this to work you have to ensure that date of expiry of current/old insurance & date for new insurance to take over must obviously coincide-know this sounds as it would happen anyway, it is just that some people may put in earlier date ie-earlier than current insurance runs out-in order to make it possible to receive a quote & get idea of what to expect! Only thing you have to make sure is that you contact current/old insurance co so many days before runs out to inform them that you will not be accepting their renewal offer, or you may find you bak account a few £100 quid lighter than expected and added hassle of getting refund. This also enables you to receive full year of current insurance and also not have to fall foul of cancellation figure! Hope this makes sense!

guest4871

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2018, 10:44:09 PM »
Just to stir the Aviva pot.........

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/aviva-car-insurance/

I usually use:

https://www.topcashback.co.uk/topcashback-compare

I find going directly to a named insurance company eg Direct Line, Aviva, LV, Esure etc is usually the most expensive route.

Using a broker like RAC Insurance Services, Hastings Direct through Topcashback takes a lot of beating.

Don't buy the cheapest - buy a name you know.

I had a similar experience some years ago with Esure who, after some years and for no reason, doubled my home insurance premium. I found a much better policy at less than I had been paying before which I found very gratifying!

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2018, 10:13:03 AM »
Morning zzaj, Totally agree with your point as to not buyng cheapest-but just hapens that the top 10 quotes from 2 of main 3 comparison websites are all within £20-£30 of eah other.

Will adda a further point that up until comparison websites came along, like me, I didn't realise there were so many companies (not just insurance) to choose from and for this reason, until comparison sites & t'interweb came along, such choices were not possible.

Have done a geat deal of searching of companies I would be looking to use but also good to have a review from a 'trusted none interested party'! As you point out, use a name you know does help, in this case (& admitted by them) company I am know certain to use is actually Avivs, in all but name!

However, will be taking a break from insurance searches etc., for the moment as having grandson this pm which am looking forward to (6 months of age) so it's all boys together...for a couple of hours anyway & have lready downloaded 'fart & burp piano', for his enjoyment, obviously!

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Trader
  • Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2018, 09:50:43 PM »
Insurance quoting is a mine field.
My insurance is due at the end of the month so I started looking around.
I got quotes from that 'singing' chap at 'Go Compare'
Tesco Bank quoted £396 so out of curiosity I went to the Tesco Bank website and for identical cover the quote was £442.
Lloyds, who I am currently with, refused to quote me on 'Go Compare' !

Vic.
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you like.
Regards,
Dan.

chrisv

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 cvt jazz
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2018, 11:32:40 AM »
I am with nfu, each year my policy renewal is lower than the previous year, try them for a quote, you can speak to a real person based in the uk,
Chris

Spencer69

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2018, 12:30:30 PM »
Hi Dan & Chris, Will be doing further 'quotes' in few days time (after service & MOT & after recovery of having grandson!)) as will have to put correct date for insurance to start (knew the approx date but to enable to go click through & potentially buy early need exact date).

At same time will cert look at Adrian Flux and also NFU (agree big bonus is speaking with person, live). My original thoughts regarding car insurance is that they should be cheaper than previous years if all circs remain same (& view is they should if no fault claim made) but unfortunately as many find out this not always the case-again, loyalty seems to mean less each year!

Agree with others that seems to go in peaks and troughs-new customers get best deals, and possibly for year 2 and maybe, if lucky year 3! Then up it whacks & we start the marry go round again! (Goes to show that conspiracy theorists do have something, where all main companies, whatever business it maybe, eg supermarkets,
that they all get together at some secret location and decide between themselves what is to happen pricewise).

TY for pointers & let you enjoy last of our 'summer'!

Tags:

anything