Author Topic: Distance remaining read out malfunction. Reads zero until tank at least half ful  (Read 1017 times)

Sjazzy18

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz se auto 2018 model.
My distance remaining to fill up read out doesn't function properly. As the level in the tank drops and the reserve light comes on it initially reads about 30 miles, all good. Run it a bit more and it drops further but putting more fuel in makes no difference. I recently put 5.5 lt in which should get me about 60 mls but display shows zero. Another 5.5 lt & display still shows 0. Now I put 25 lt in and suddenly it shows 200 miles range!!
WTF is going on? Help please.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
I don't have that on my Mk 1 but once the low fuel light comes on I have to put a fair amount in the tank before it goes out. It is as if the tank has to fill up so much before it resets. Perhaps yours is the same.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
Same as the Civic then, it doesn't recognise a minor topup.
Let's be careful out there !

TnTkr

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2019 GK5 Jazz 1.5 Dynamic 6MT
I guess it is the same thing when I refilled the tank only after driving only about 100 km from full. It didn't recognize the fill-up in remaining distance eventhough the fuel gauge went from 7/8 to full tank.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
The distance remaining calculation depends in part on how you are driving, i.e. on current consumption.  This might have an effect on how it recalibrates after a small top-up.

Pine

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda IZY Lawnmower
In my experience of BMW, Ford and Toyota the miles to go function does not recognise the addition of small amounts of fuel.

I am in the habit now of letting the tank run down to the quarter mark then filling until the pump cuts out.  What is the point of going to a petrol station once a week when I can go there once a month.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Or once every four months in my case!

BadgerMk3

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk3
The sensor is essentially a float in a wide(ish) tank.
If you just replenish with a small amount of fuel, the level in the tank will barely move.

If you notice in most cars, it seemingly takes ages to move from the full mark, but conversely also seems to vanish rapidly when you're down to a couple of bars.

As the fuel tank is not a regular and uniform shape, there are usually algorithms coded into the ECU which take the signal from the sensor, apply a bit of maths to it, then send a calculated value to the display.

It's normal practise to apply a more pessimistic algorithm to the lower end of the fuel level capacity, as it protects the end user from running dry.

Tags:

anything