Author Topic: Fuel Consumption  (Read 7882 times)

sportse

• Approved Member
Re: Fuel Consumption
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2022, 05:50:36 PM »
With my majority motorway driving, I've tried eco mode/slow acceleration/etc - it doesn't make hardly a difference on a long trip at 70mph so you can drive the car normally and you will still get great 50+mpg economy.

It's average speed that makes the difference - I'd like to see someone get 60+mpg with the ACC set to 70mph over 50-100 miles.

guest9814

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2022, 06:45:27 PM »
With my majority motorway driving, I've tried eco mode/slow acceleration/etc - it doesn't make hardly a difference on a long trip at 70mph so you can drive the car normally and you will still get great 50+mpg economy.

There answer why we have bad mpg on high speed.
Our MK4 and Nissan Note E-power have same type  transmission but e-power only serial hybrid (ICE never linked to whells) both cars like EV with little battery pack with onboard generator.
If someone not intrested in whole video clip about Nissan Note e-power skip to 3:20 from start

It's average speed that makes the difference - I'd like to see someone get 60+mpg with the ACC set to 70mph over 50-100 miles.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2022, 02:28:30 PM »
It's also why many manufacturers range figures for fully electric vehicles are wrong.

Matt Watson in his reviews tells you what energy the car is using at 70mph, and what your range would be at that consumption - much less than the official figure.

As I've found with the Jazz, for the type of driving I do, I get nowhere near the official mpg/mpkw figures that are published.

As a rough guideline, for the driving I do, I can get maybe 50% of the official range of an electric car.

50mpg for a Jazz at 70mph is still good, compared to 30mpg for my accord and mid/high thirties for my civic.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2022, 05:11:38 PM »
As I've found with the Jazz, for the type of driving I do, I get nowhere near the official mpg/mpkw figures that are published.

As a rough guideline, for the driving I do, I can get maybe 50% of the official range of an electric car.

50mpg for a Jazz at 70mph is still good, compared to 30mpg for my accord and mid/high thirties for my civic.
The headline "combined" WLTP fuel economy can be misleading but the individual test cycle data seem to be close to real life (in warm weather). For example, the "high" WLTP cycle for the Mk 4 Jazz gets 72.4 mpg which drops to 47.9 mpg in the "extra-high" cycle (up to about 75mph). I can't see find a similar level of detail in the WLTP EV testing but agree that motorway cruising will hit the range massively (how much depends on the drag factor of the individual vehicle).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

SteveM

• Approved Member
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2022, 02:51:00 PM »
So my Mk4 continues to surprise me with just how good it is, in this case through ridiculous fuel mileage.

My normal commute into London involves a 45 mile drive of which roughly half a mile is on something other than dual carriageway or motorway. As those motorways are the M1 and M25 it's fair to say this is not constant speed cruising unless you count zero as a constant speed. Just finished up a 415 mile drive (4 days in the office and some around town driving) with the car showing an average of 69.7mpg with 157 miles remaining on three and a bit bars! The actual real world figure after refuelling was about 68mpg.

That's mostly driving between 50 to 70 mph, occasional blasts from the climate control with AC off and the infotainment constantly on running Apple CarPlay. Same drive when I was being gentle on the throttle in a 2018 diesel Civic would come in around 65mpg. All things considered I'd say the Jazz was doing remarkably well, very glad I made the switch when I did!

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2022, 01:04:48 PM »
My record was a motorway trip of around 30 miles, where is got 75mpg.

Thanks to traffic and a long 50mph section. Even though it was starting from cold, it was last summer so temperatures were warm.

Geoff_W

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Premium Crystal Red Metallic
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2022, 04:58:49 PM »
Most of my driving is short, urban trips - usually a weekly run round to local supermarkets. Occasionally, a 60 mile round trip into the Derbyshire Peak District.

My Trip A shows 60mpg since new, and Trip B currently 66.6mpg since refueling (a little less than half a tank left). However, I also keep a spreadsheet where I note the total mileage at each fill up and the litres put in the tank (brimmed). This calculates an actual value of 57.14mpg overall. My Crosstar was bought in September last year so a lot of the miles covered were through the winter months.

The mpg has improved somewhat with the warmer weather, but as I always have the climate control set to Auto at 21.5 degrees C I suspect that's having a negative effect. I know a lot of owners use aircon sparingly, but I prefer to be comfortable rather than worrying about the extra fuel useage.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2022, 05:07:17 PM »
Same here

I don't get the 'advice' to turn off aircon and open the windows. I bet it saves pennies and I prefer aircon and windows shut for the quiet.

Unlike the hot hatch mob with max thumping audio and all windows open, innit
Let's be careful out there !

sportse

• Approved Member
Fuel Consumption
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2022, 05:45:17 PM »
With the new gas they use in aircon today, it leaks out much quicker.

Not using the aircon for a while could likely result in it escaping.

The cost for a top up is £160-£300 with the new gas, so would cost more than any small amount of fuel saved by not using it.

I just leave my climate control on auto all the time.

BROC

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY24 ZR-V Advance
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2022, 06:49:48 PM »
Same here

I don't get the 'advice' to turn off aircon and open the windows. I bet it saves pennies and I prefer aircon and windows shut for the quiet.

Unlike the hot hatch mob with max thumping audio and all windows open, innit

Comfort (& safety) is more important to me than fuel economy so I use the A/C when I need to.  I am sure I read years ago that driving with the windows open increased drag which impacted fuel economy........

BigT

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Ex
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2022, 07:24:08 PM »
I'll be driving my new to me 21 Jazz EX overnight, to avoid traffic, from Taunton to Vienna next month. It will be a great test of the Jazz's economy at 70 Mph for a 1,000 motorway miles. I'm betting it'll do the journey more frugally than my BMW 1250 motorcycle, we will see.... 8)

sportse

• Approved Member
Fuel Consumption
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2022, 07:50:46 PM »
Over 15k of mainly motorway miles I’m getting around 50mpg on the motorway at 70mph which is good considering the performance as well.

I plan to try dropping from 70 to 55-60 on a regular 110 mile trip I do soon, just to see what the difference in fuel economy is.

Fuel is now getting close to £2 a litre and a few minutes longer travel time won’t matter if there is a big jump in mpg.

Marmoset

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 2020
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2022, 09:33:40 PM »
Over 15k of mainly motorway miles I’m getting around 50mpg on the motorway at 70mph which is good considering the performance as well.

I plan to try dropping from 70 to 55-60 on a regular 110 mile trip I do soon, just to see what the difference in fuel economy is.

Fuel is now getting close to £2 a litre and a few minutes longer travel time won’t matter if there is a big jump in mpg.
If you're happy rolling along at 55 - 60 you might be pleasantly surprised.  I've done 600 miles since my last brimmed tank.  I was aiming to see whether a 1000km was possible but the range displayed started going down much faster than the distance covered so I'm going to end up about 10km short.

The fuel economy since filling is showing as 78mpg.  (B + Econ, a lot of 57-59mph driving with occasional bursts of extra speed while overtaking.)

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2022, 12:12:27 AM »
Proof that a light right foot pays off...

Consumption Crosstar at high(er) speed, here just over 40 km (almost 26 mi), at an average speed of 129 kmh (80.2 mph). Consumption: 6,6 l/100 km (42.8 mpg).

The same but 13 km (8.1 mi), average speed 137 kmh (85.1 mph) Consumption 7,3 l/100km (38.7 mpg).

If nothing goes right, go left!

MRCLICKCLICK

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: CROSSTAR.
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2022, 09:38:54 AM »
18 month old crosstar, 9500 miles.Mainly urban - round the back roads of south Somerset, Some odd trips - 250 miles - generally travel to road conditions - but very rarely go above 65 - more like 60 MPH.No motorway - dont need them - odd duals. Sometimes cruise control.  Very light foot on throttle. ECO always on, air con always on - only open windows if roasting before setting off. Set to 20 degrees +/-1. EV shows around 70 % time in local area. Can show EV up to and above 60 MPH - for some long periods - but generally shows upto 50 MPH. MPG shows 63 - 67 - after the computer catches up. Get approx 550 per tank refill (not necessarily filling an empty tank.) Brake hold always on. Beeps - depends on my mood!!. I get what I expected , after the first miles of running in. MPG drops in winter - the ICE is used to heat the car, and needs to charge thinks up. And as I say most of my journeys are local - so she really done get going.

Tags:

anything