Author Topic: Did a little service today (CVT fluid and coolant)  (Read 1311 times)

JazzHybrid

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
Did a little service today (CVT fluid and coolant)
« on: July 04, 2020, 11:20:30 AM »
I sort of feel I did half the job I set out to do.  ::)

My Jazz is almost 10 years old and the initial factory coolant should be changed by the 10 year mark. Since I prefer to carry out servicing in the summer and not during the cold winter months, I thought I may as well do it now while the weather is decent.

CVT Fluid
Purchased 4L pack of genuine Honda CVT fluid. Cheapest I found online was £40 from HondaParts247. Plan was to drain the CVT fluid by cracking open bolt A (see image below), refilling via bolt C. Using a measuring jug, I drained just over 3.1L out and torqued the plug back up to around 40Nm.

I opened the fill plug just fine (shown as C in the diagram), but under the cramped confines of the car and without a reverse oil pump or large syringe, or something of that nature, I realised I could not do the job of filling it back up very well. So instead I slowly filled around 3.5L (a little bit over what I need but not a catastrophic excess), via the dip stick. Not ideal, but no other way I could do it. :(

Engine coolant
I purchased 5L of Honda Type 2 Premixed Coolant (blue in colour, although colour doesn't really matter, it is just a dye, but anyway it matched what I had in the car there already). A 5L premixed pack was just under £16 which I thought was not too bad (compared to the Hybrid Green Oil which is nowadays £47.57 for 4L!)

Anyway, the plan was to drain some of the coolant from bottom of radiator (about 2.5L came out that way, full fill is 5L) and the rest from the block.

As daft as it sounds, I could not find the correct bolt on the engine block to my frustration. I could see the engine sump plug, and other bits but nothing above the CV join as per the image, so left it at that and added 2.5L via the radiator and a little bit to the expansion tank.

Anybody happen to have a real world image of which is the correct bolt on the engine block itself?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:23:29 AM by JazzHybrid »

Tags:

anything