Author Topic: Air con not working, thoughts?  (Read 17833 times)

JohnAlways

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.2i-VTEC S (AC) 2013
Re: Air con not working, thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 11:50:33 AM »
I'm like John A. I put mine on recirc when starting off in the heat and once car has warmed (in the engine) and cooled in the cabin change to fresh air coming in.

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 05:19:33 PM »
Well that was easy.  Regassed and freezing heading home. ;D

Unfortunately too easy.  Had the temp at 16, freezing air, put it up to 20, still freezing for about 5 minutes then got warmer & warmer up to ambient.  Cranked it down to 16c, no change.  Hmmmmmm, that was a waste of money thought I.  Then 5 mins later (had switched to Auto but that didn’t make any immediate change) it went cold as a cold thing, only to warm up after a few minutes.

Will try it again tomorrow on 2 short trips (only 6 miles/20 mins) and see how it behaves.

John A

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2016 Honda Jazz CVT
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2018, 06:18:34 PM »
Auto may or may not have the aircon working, probably more reliable to select it to on, and see what happens. Especially if you opt to have the airflow down towards the feet, and wear sandles  :o

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2018, 06:37:19 PM »
That’s what I’m going to try, ish.  Leave it on 16c and pointed at my face, then will easily feel what is going on.  See if it cuts in & out.  On Sunday when SWMBO was doing a 10 hour drive it didn’t cut in at all, was getting a bit toastie for most of that.

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2018, 04:05:28 PM »
Deffo doesn’t work, warm enough today to tell.  SWMBO doesn’t want to play parts roulette so just going to live with it for now.  Worse case senario it gets super scorchio, SWMBO uses my 11 year old GD and I use my Disco.  Now that’s a hot summer guaranteed!!!!  :o

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »
I can sympathise. I would give my left b***ock for A/C. Last Saturday's drive was a scorcher, and I will need to apologise to my driving instructor on Friday, if the weather turns out as forecast.
The thing is, I have been driving for 53 years and only ever had A/C from 2007 to 2016. Must have made me soft!

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2018, 08:31:38 PM »
NJ (New Jazz as opposed to OJ/Old Jazz) is going into a local garage tomorrow to look into the no AC malarkie, will update when they find the problem.👍

guest7630

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2018, 09:00:28 PM »
AC works fine for me, and was very handy for the summer just gone. I have permanently cold hands, and my gripe is I can't get warm air through the centre dash vents and the side vents at the same time in a Jazz. In my civic I could, and would point the vents at my hands on the wheel. Now I have the choice of warming one hand at a time or wearing driving gloves (shudder)

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2018, 04:41:07 PM »
AC works fine for me, and was very handy for the summer just gone. I have permanently cold hands, and my gripe is I can't get warm air through the centre dash vents and the side vents at the same time in a Jazz. In my civic I could, and would point the vents at my hands on the wheel. Now I have the choice of warming one hand at a time or wearing driving gloves (shudder)
Which reminds me that my Austin Maestro could provide cool fresh air through the dashboard vents at the same time as providing warm air for the windscreen and feet. None of my more recent vehicles have been able to do this. Progress?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2018, 04:39:41 PM »
Well it went into a local garage I use and they had a good look.  It seems the AC comes on, then decides it’s going to switch off and stay off.  When I drove it the few miles home the AC was cold as a cold thing.  Today it started cold and then warmed up to ambient.  Thy thought there was a sensor that was playing up and needed either a new AC pump at £625 (plus regassing) with no guarantee that that’s the issue, or in the heater box in the dash which would need the dash out with costs unknown, no thanks.  SWMBO has made the executive decision to live without AC, we don’t want to get into expensive parts roulette.

Now that’s us guaranteed to have a scorchio summer.  :o

ianhj

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2010 1.4 Si
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2018, 07:57:29 PM »
Could it be a faulty relay? I know Honda had a problem with a batch of Omron relays.

I’m not normally a fan (no pun intended!) of just replacing parts but for around £20 it might be worth it.

Hope you get it sorted.

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2018, 10:23:27 AM »
Sorry, haven’t looked in for a while.

Will have a look in the manual and see if there is a relay I can swap for it temporarily.  Luckily not needing AC at the mo, up in the far north it’s lovely and cool.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2018, 11:17:13 AM »
see attached PDF - circled is the aircon clutch - the grey bit is the moving plate the gold bit is the pulley - there is a magnetic coil inside the clutch which pulls the plate towards rotating pulley and causes compressor to rotate.  With the engine running and aircon off you can shine a torch down by the auxiliary drive belt and you will see the clutch plate is stationary even though the pulley is spinning around,  now turn the aircon on and two things should happen, the radiator fans start up and the clutch should be energised and start to rotate with the pulley.   there are also pressure switches on the system,  a 'normal'  pressure and a high pressure switch,  if gas is low the low 'normal' pressure switch will not close,  if the gas pressure is too high the high switch will tell the system,  in either case the clutch will not pull in.  There is also a high temperature cut-out  on the side of the compressor, to stop it getting damaged and a 'low temp' (freeze warning) switch on the condenser (the cold radiator inside the car) - if either of these is activated the clutch will not pull in.  The relay is in a small plastic box under the windscreen washer bottle filler tube MK2 ( box about 3 x 2 inches with two clips holding lid on ) and I think in under-bonnet fuse box on MK1 - it is about 20mm square with four spade connections underneath,  the small spades are the coil and the larger pair are the main contact (about 40 amp rated) - if you can unplug the relay and put a voltmeter probe into the relay plugs,  one of the larger ones should show 12volts and the other one of the pair you will need to switch to ohms and earth one of the probes and you should get about 4 ohms between relay contact and earth (the relay applies power to one side of clutch coil and the other side of clutch is earthed to engine).

As far as I know that relay is one of a pair of large relays,  the other one is for heated rear window (but I don't think they are interchangeable).
« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 03:39:40 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2018, 01:01:47 PM »
OK, been out fiddling.  Took the AC clutch relay out of its position in the driver’s side under the screen wash filler neck (for RHD cars), only after taking the battery out to find it.   

then thought the best way to test the relay is put it in the horn slot, couldn’t find the horn relay but from this identified the elect windows relay. 

Checked that this was for elec windows, they didn’t work after I removed it, they then worked when the relay from the AC clutch was put in it (already a Matsui relay), so that relay is good.  Then swapped back, unfortunately the windows relay is a little worse for wear but works, there must be a special tool to get them out.

Will put the AC clutch relay back in its slot and have a look at the pulley operation.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2018, 01:03:29 PM by D3DSL »

D3DSL

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2018, 01:31:19 PM »
Getting even more confused.  Swapped the AC clutch relay with one of the fan relays and switched the AC, for the first time since the AC packed up we heard the fans kick in!!  And with the climate controlled dialled down to 16c the air out the vents was pretty cold.  Only 18c here at the mo but with AC being switched on and off the temp from the vents did seem to get holder and hotter appropriately.

Took a vid, mainly as it all seems very “clickety” with the AC compressor running (I think), does this sound normal?

Tags: