Author Topic: Aftermarket matt black dashboard cover available and cost?  (Read 1460 times)

Saucebox

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2020 jazz EX
Aftermarket matt black dashboard cover available and cost?
« on: January 03, 2023, 03:09:15 PM »
One of the things that deters me from purchasing the Mk 4 model is widespead reports that in bright sunlight the dashboard top reflects onto the bottom of the windscreen... Does anyone know how/where to source the aforementioned lilely remedy and roughly the cost to do so?

Nicksey

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 70 mpg
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX Style
Re: Aftermarket matt black dashboard cover available and cost?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2023, 04:15:46 PM »
Never had an issue with this problem. I have driven in very bright sunlight, both in front, at the sides and directly above and not once have I had any problem reading or seeing the display on the dash or infotainment panel.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2023, 04:39:12 PM »
The reflection may depend on height of drivers face. The screen angle is just right to reflect the sunshine from the semi shiny dash top back into my face. I bought some tough non reflective fabric to put on my dash top and trimmed it to suit. I haven't stuck it down;  on hard acceleration it tends to slide off. I need to come up with a non permanent sticky for it.
The topper makes a good easily cleaned protector for spillages when we are having in-car lunches.

This stuff. I bought 1 metre.
https://aemarket.co.uk/collections/fabric-materials/products/d600-fabric-material?variant=6497688780828&gclid=CjwKCAiAwc-dBhA7EiwAxPRylNh2qQzeTNUI4JnktP62N_qdoQKnPkDfbcXkbtsqIRK8VA3c9C1B6RoCVz4QAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 04:44:19 PM by Neil Ives »
Neil Ives

Jazzyone

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4 hybrid
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2023, 05:50:03 PM »
I think the reflection onto the windscreen is quite bad. But the Arona I had before was just the same as the worst part was right in main eye line. As was the Captur and Vitara before that.  I think some people ‘look’ through the reflection and don’t see it but I see it all the time. At the moment I have an old black t- shirt that my wife cut and stitched so it covers most of dash top. It really makes a difference at moment when winter sun is low in the sky.
Why can’t manufacturers just make a Matt finish dashboard top I’m sure it can’t be that difficult?

NoelM

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2023, 06:12:20 PM »
I have a dash mat going spare since I got rid of my Crosstar. If anyone wants to collect it from Derbyshire they can have it for free.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2023, 08:19:39 PM »
I've actually never been bothered by the dashboard reflecting in the windshield. Probably the main reason is that I don't look AT the windscreen. I usually look far ahead THROUGH the windscreen...

If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2023, 04:15:51 AM »
The dash can inflict a 'haze' appearance on the windscreen in the wrong lighting conditions.

However, I'm not finding it bad enough for what looks like an unsightly addon mat.

I've used some mat finish dash cleaner that has helped from original.
Let's be careful out there !

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2023, 08:10:43 AM »
Im disappointed that the Mk4 still has this problem.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 08:16:24 AM by edam »

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2023, 10:01:08 AM »
The answer for me was Polarised Sunglasses, or these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WNPSBZS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 in my particular case.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2023, 11:05:20 AM »
I have had the probem of glare and refection in various cars.  Much depends on the rake of the windscreen, intrinsic in the styling of the car , and sometimes the height of the driver.    it can affect the quality of dashcam images. 

You do get some in the Jazz but I cant say its noticeably  worse than other cars I have had in the last 20 years or so.   My Corsa was particularly bad and I put a black  bath towel on the dashboard,which helped. But I had to experiment with several fabrics.  Some you might expect to be good at absorbing glare were actually surprisingly reflective and of little help.
When I first  got the Jazz and read the comments about reflection I investigated various products such as dash top mats custom made for the mk4 (in lhd and rhd versions) Various sellers on Ali express.  From about £13 IIRC delivered from china, or maybe twice that  if it comes from UK stock  (but still a chinese seller)    One would assume they would use a good light absorbing material,   but my experience with diy solutions made me a bit wary.   But may be worth buying if it also protects the dashtop  from long term UV damage. I never got round to buying anything  apart from some matt finish dashboard wipes.   I found last summer was not really a major issue if I wore sunglasses, when necessary. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 11:31:56 AM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2023, 11:19:25 AM »
I have had the probem of glare and refection in various cars.  Much depends on the rake of the windscreen, intrinsic in the styling of the car , and sometimes the height of the driver.    it can affect the quality of dashcam images. 

You do get some in the Jazz but I cant say its noticeably  worse than other cars I have had in the last 20 years or so.   My Corsa was particularly bad and I put a black  bath towel on the dashboard,which helped. But I had to experiment with several fabrics.  Some you might expect to be good at absorbing glare were actually surprisingly reflective and of little help.
When I first  got the Jazz and read the comments about reflection I investigated various products such as a custom made dash mat from China. I never got round to buying anything  apart from some matt finish dashboard wipes.   I found last summer was not really a major issue if I wore sunglasses, when necessary.
To summarize: I wore sunglasses, when necessary.

edam

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 1.3 SE CVT
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 11:39:58 AM »
I cant tolerate a dirty windscreen or smearing wipers so I think in my case, the dashboard reflection is even more of a problem . I am thinking about changing to a MK4 so looks like I will still be having to use my black felt

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 11:42:43 AM »

To summarize: I wore sunglasses, when necessary.
:-[ I'm not good at summary.   
   To quote Blaise Pascal  "I didnt have time to make it short."  But the info on alternatives might help some decide
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Wonder

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2023, 01:23:56 PM »
When I first  got the Jazz and read the comments about reflection I investigated various products such as dash top mats custom made for the mk4 (in lhd and rhd versions) Various sellers on Ali express.  From about £13 IIRC delivered from china, or maybe twice that  if it comes from UK stock  (but still a chinese seller)    One would assume they would use a good light absorbing material,   but my experience with diy solutions made me a bit wary.   But may be worth buying if it also protects the dashtop  from long term UV damage. I never got round to buying anything  apart from some matt finish dashboard wipes. ...

Hi, I confirm what you say, I bought one of those made-to-measure mats (they are Chinese) and they do their job very well (I honestly hadn't had any glare problems with the sun), I bought the mats because the car, in the summer, when it is parked it receives the sun on the dashboard for many hours (the Jazz windshield is fantastic because it gives great visibility but it pays the price that when you park the car the inside of the car remains exposed to the sun for many hours) and then because in any case the plastics of the car tend to get marked easily and with that I preserve the dashboard from the marks.
However, when I get back into the car if I insert a hand under the mat (ie between the mat and the plastic of the dashboard) I still feel the hot plastic but at least it doesn't discolor with the sun's rays.
For the sake of completeness, when I leave the car parked in the sun, however, I decided to put a sunshade on the windscreen, again the Chinese ones, which perfectly cover the glass, so the only point that really remains uncovered are the two side triangles but having the mat I don't have plastic deterioration problems on the dashboard.
Greetings

(Sorry for the mistakes I used Google Translate)

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2023, 02:20:28 PM »
....I'm not finding it bad enough for what looks like an unsightly addon mat.
The fabric I used is not at all obvious
Neil Ives

Tags:

anything