Author Topic: Would You Buy Another Mk4  (Read 36022 times)

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
Re: Would You Buy Another Mk4
« Reply #315 on: December 14, 2021, 12:16:23 PM »
From what I’ve read the difference in acceleration between flooring the pedal - and creating max engine noise - and being more gentle with the pedal - and minimising noise - actually makes little difference to the rate of acceleration. Is that your experience in real life?
I think it very much depends on the state of the battery at the time.
For a given acceleration, if the battery is well up, then the engine obviously has to work less.
Conversely if the battery is low, then the engine has to to work harder to make up the required power deficiency.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
  • The day the Internet went down
  • My Honda: Jazz Hybrid EX 2022
« Reply #316 on: December 14, 2021, 01:21:20 PM »
From what I’ve read the difference in acceleration between flooring the pedal - and creating max engine noise - and being more gentle with the pedal - and minimising noise - actually makes little difference to the rate of acceleration. Is that your experience in real life?
Yes. It's rather enjoyable to feel the car surge forward with a moderate pressure on the pedal. Eco mode reduces the fun aspect.

I think it helps to consider that the engine is only running to charge the drive battery. That's not completely true by the way.
Neil Ives

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #317 on: December 14, 2021, 04:02:56 PM »
Yep.

I can accelerate up a motorway sliproad and get to blending in speed with very little noise.

These journos seem to have a point to make to satisfy their advertisers.
That’s what I suspected!

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #318 on: December 14, 2021, 04:23:39 PM »
Flooring the pedal makes little more sense than letting you experience the simulated shifting moments (that happens to me very rarely...).
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #319 on: December 14, 2021, 05:17:47 PM »
I've never had the simulated shift, and, I haven't driven round like a Sunday driver.
Let's be careful out there !

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #320 on: December 14, 2021, 05:38:59 PM »
Yes. It's rather enjoyable to feel the car surge forward with a moderate pressure on the pedal. Eco mode reduces the fun aspect.

I think it helps to consider that the engine is only running to charge the drive battery. That's not completely true by the way.

Good point about the Econ mode. I use it round town but it certainly stifles the throttle response so I knock it off on the open road.

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #321 on: December 14, 2021, 05:47:24 PM »
I can get the simulated shifts at 20-30mph, just going up slight hills at only 1/4 accelerator.

I think it is programmed just to break up the constant noise of the petrol engine when it is needed.

It's most noticeable at high speeds with full throttle, but I can get it at other times.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #322 on: December 15, 2021, 09:48:37 AM »
I'm not often aware of the fake gear-changes. Hearing it must be a result of the style of driving.
Neil Ives

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #323 on: December 15, 2021, 12:17:22 PM »
it seems to occur when the car is under load and accelerating a bit with a steady accelerator position - going uphill/etc.

I can get it to happen at low speed under light acceleration going up a slight hill from a stop, under 30mph.

It does seem just like real gear changes, if you didn't know then someone driving it would assume it had a normal gearbox.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #324 on: December 15, 2021, 03:08:26 PM »
.. It does seem just like real gear changes, if you didn't know then someone driving it would assume it had a normal gearbox.
I think that's it's there for people who might be concerned about Continuously Variable Transmission's, (CVT). In the past CVT's could be a bit naff.
Neil Ives

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #325 on: December 15, 2021, 03:49:02 PM »
...Derbyshire can be 'hilly' and I get the 'gear changes' a fair amount of the time.

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #326 on: December 15, 2021, 05:22:01 PM »
...Derbyshire can be 'hilly' and I get the 'gear changes' a fair amount of the time.
I love the Derbyshire Peaks. In non pandemic times I would attend BSA Owners Club camping weekends with my 1955 Golden Flash. Riding a motorcycle around the Peak District is wonderful.
Neil Ives

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #327 on: December 15, 2021, 08:17:08 PM »
I love the Derbyshire Peaks. In non pandemic times I would attend BSA Owners Club camping weekends with my 1955 Golden Flash. Riding a motorcycle around the Peak District is wonderful.

Problem is that during decent motorbiking weather the Plods are very active in peak District....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Neil Ives

• Approved Member
« Reply #328 on: December 16, 2021, 10:22:57 AM »
... Problem is that during decent motorbiking weather the Plods are very active in peak District....
I'm OK with that. The way idiots fly around on their crotch rockets is horrific.
Neil Ives

aphybrid

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 54.46
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar Shiny Grey
« Reply #329 on: December 16, 2021, 12:05:19 PM »
There are some 'missing' features in Crosstar like heated steering wheel, self dimming mirror, heated windscreen which can be had in competitors models of same class.

All of these can be said to be unnecessary but like a dishwasher in the house (not a wife or similar) once had always want.

But that aside this is the best Honda cars I have had from Civic Coupe, Accord Coupe, Jazzs, and Accord.

Tags: