Author Topic: Would You Buy Another Mk4  (Read 36024 times)

Hicardo

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: 64mpg summer avg, 56mpg winter avg
  • My Honda: Crosstar Surf Blue 2021
Re: Would You Buy Another Mk4
« Reply #270 on: June 06, 2021, 11:10:20 PM »
The handbook for the mk 4 states that B should typically be used down steep hills to increase engine braking. 

This is in line with what Toyota also recommend for their own hybrid drivetrain. 

I understand various Honda dealers have been recommending customers to drive for extended periods in B in varied driving.  but not sure about this recommendation - as it doesn't seem to be what is recommended by Honda in the jazz manual.

Dont believe you get increased economy using B in general driving, because youre losing more momentum when you lift off.  In D, youre losing less momentum when you lift off.  then if you need the brakes, the braking regens the power.  Also ive driven Toyota hybrids in the Alps, and the traction battery frequently fills up on long downhills, so that any extra regen cannot be utilised - so you definitely don't benefit more using B than standard D and braking - except to provide less wear on brake components on the long descents - which is what the jazz manual says

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #271 on: June 07, 2021, 12:55:51 AM »
Around town I find B is an easier driving experience compared with D.

One thing I noticed today on the motorway was that Adaptive Cruise Control uses the brake lights if it has to slow down suddenly due to a car in front braking.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #272 on: June 07, 2021, 04:32:57 AM »
My only reservation would be switching from B to D whilst in motion.

Could you easily push too hard and go from to B to N by accident or is there a protection button to stop this ?
Let's be careful out there !

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance Sport
« Reply #273 on: June 07, 2021, 07:48:51 AM »
The handbook for the mk 4 states that B should typically be used down steep hills to increase engine braking. 

This is in line with what Toyota also recommend for their own hybrid drivetrain. 

I understand various Honda dealers have been recommending customers to drive for extended periods in B in varied driving.  but not sure about this recommendation - as it doesn't seem to be what is recommended by Honda in the jazz manual.

Dont believe you get increased economy using B in general driving, because youre losing more momentum when you lift off.  In D, youre losing less momentum when you lift off.  then if you need the brakes, the braking regens the power.  Also ive driven Toyota hybrids in the Alps, and the traction battery frequently fills up on long downhills, so that any extra regen cannot be utilised - so you definitely don't benefit more using B than standard D and braking - except to provide less wear on brake components on the long descents - which is what the jazz manual says
I tend to drive in D unless going downhill, I tried using B more but didn't seem to make any difference to economy. There seem to be different views as to whether braking (using the brake pedal) regens the battery, I've seen nothing in the handbook to say it does, I always assumed it only happens when foot is off the accelerator and brake pedal not pressed.

nowster

• Approved Member
« Reply #274 on: June 07, 2021, 10:07:43 AM »
I tend to drive in D unless going downhill, I tried using B more but didn't seem to make any difference to economy. There seem to be different views as to whether braking (using the brake pedal) regens the battery, I've seen nothing in the handbook to say it does, I always assumed it only happens when foot is off the accelerator and brake pedal not pressed.
I quoted from Page 16 of the PDF. That section (Quick Reference Guide) is not in the paper manual.

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
« Reply #275 on: June 07, 2021, 10:09:55 AM »
My only reservation would be switching from B to D whilst in motion.

Could you easily push too hard and go from to B to N by accident or is there a protection button to stop this ?

There's no protection from B to D, whereas you have to pull the shift trigger to go from D to B, but last Sunday I drove around 40km on a hill area and sometimes switched between B and D, I never hit the N by mistake, you should put a brutal force on the shift lever to do so.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #276 on: June 07, 2021, 10:36:44 AM »
The big no-no on auto boxes is selecting 'P' before the car has stopped.  The 'P' position puts a mechanical lock on the gearbox,  and selecting P while car still moving can either shear off the locking pin or other nasty stuff.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #277 on: June 07, 2021, 11:51:47 AM »
The big no-no on auto boxes is selecting 'P' before the car has stopped.  The 'P' position puts a mechanical lock on the gearbox,  and selecting P while car still moving can either shear off the locking pin or other nasty stuff.

The mechanical pawl on the transmission. Is the pawl in addition to a conventional friction handbrake acting on the wheel?

If the Jazz has the transmission brake engaged while stationary eg the car parked, and the car is struck from front or behind in an accident situation, will the transmission brake take the impact  to the car and suffer damage to the pawl?  How hard a task to replace a damaged pawl in the transmission?

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
« Reply #278 on: June 07, 2021, 12:27:32 PM »
Yes, transmission pawl act on the front wheels as they are connected to the transmission.
Handbrake act through electric motor on the rear brake calipers.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #279 on: June 07, 2021, 02:28:37 PM »
Around town I find B is an easier driving experience compared with D.

One thing I noticed today on the motorway was that Adaptive Cruise Control uses the brake lights if it has to slow down suddenly due to a car in front braking.
It’s tied to brake force. Regs state that over a certain amount of G, the brake lights must activate.

Regarding B mode, you won’t do any harm leaving it on. The recommendation is for those transitioning from traditional petrol cars. I personally drive in B because it feels more like the EVs I’m used to.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #280 on: June 08, 2021, 10:00:19 AM »
I recently wrote to Honda UK to voice my concerns about the implementation of RDMS and pointing out that in certain circumstances, on narrow UK roads I regarded the system as downright dangerous.

This is their reply:-

Thank you for contacting us and we hope your day is going fine.
We are sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the Road Departure Mitigation System (RDMS). The system itself is designed to alert and help you when detecting a possibility of your vehicle crossing over detected lane markings or approaching the outer edge of the pavement (into grass or gravel border) or an oncoming vehicle.
There are indeed some limitations of the system as mentioned in the Owner’s Manual - p.483-p.486.
There is also a way to disable the system mentioned in the Owner’s Manual on p.482, if you are not satisfied with the way the Road Departure Mitigation System performs.
The RDMS is turned on every time you turn the power system on, even if you turned it off the last time you drove the vehicle, as this is a safety related feature of the Honda Jazz.
If you wish to permanently disable the system, it would be best to speak to an authorized Honda dealer, as they are technically trained staff and would be able to advise you if this is possible.

We value all customer feedback we receive about our products. This feedback is crucial to allow us as a business to strive forward and provide our customers with the highest quality products. 
We will ensure to pass your feedback on to the relevant teams, where they will use the feedback for future vehicles we manufacture, taking into consideration the comments you have made on the Road Departure Mitigation System.
We hope that this reassures you that we take any feedback our customers provide seriously.
Thank you for contacting us. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind Regards,

Their rely doesn't tell me much that I don't already know, but do they appear to accept that there are situations where RDMS can have an adverse effect and suggest that I contact my dealer for help, which I don't think will be forthcoming!
All I need is the facility to switch off RDMS permanently, which would be the same as LKAS, can it be so difficult?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 12:46:33 PM by Kenneve »

nowster

• Approved Member
« Reply #281 on: June 08, 2021, 10:16:22 AM »
That's first level support quoting from the manual. You've not got through to a decision maker.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #282 on: June 08, 2021, 11:10:21 AM »
If you're passing a dealer ......

"Honda UK HQ have told me to come to you to get my RDMS permanently disabled"

Be interesting to hear how they phrase 'go away'
Let's be careful out there !

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #283 on: June 08, 2021, 11:56:59 AM »
I thought that to get the 5* safety rating the RDMS system had to be activated each time the car was switched on? So will wait to hear what a dealer says when someone asks for the system to be permanently disabled.
Usual problem with beaurocratic safety organisations, they inevitably lose touch with the real world.

embee

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 Jazz SE CVT
« Reply #284 on: June 08, 2021, 02:11:52 PM »
If you're passing a dealer ......
Be interesting to hear how they phrase 'go away'
It'll almost certainly be two words, probably involving sex and travel ......................  :o

Tags: