Author Topic: Why cruise control does not activate on speed less than 30 mph?  (Read 4077 times)

culzean

• Approved Member
Re: Why cruise control does not activate on speed less than 30 mph?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2019, 12:08:27 PM »
We have near me a stretch of 30 mph road, monitored by average speed cameras and find it somewhat annoying to be behind a car doing perhaps 24-25 mph, which to my mind is bit overzealous. 

May be annoying but I have been doing just under the speed limit in built up areas and have had BMW, Vauxhall Isignia or Audi ( the usual suspects ) trying to overtake, then a mobile speed van appears at the side of the road, following car slinks back behind me - saved from yet another ticket - but really I wish they had gone past and copped some points.  30 limits don't normally go on for long,  but I do get get annoyed by people doing 30 or 40 in 60 limits,  completely oblivious to the queue building up behind them.... grrrrr.

It is much easier to keep a set speed in the Civic with the nice big digital speedo just under windscreen than in the Jazz with its lower set analogue one - if only the Jazz could get the same sensible layout as the Civic ( and a temperature gauge ) -- Oh well....

Apparently the thing they underline continuously on speed awareness course is that the 'the posted speed limit is not a target'....
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »
Do people not realise that the car is fitted with a speed limiter.  Why use cruise control to limit your speed when it is so easy to use the limiter?  No faffing around with button pushing and resetting.

I use cruise control on motorways and open roads.  All other times I have the speed limiter on.
My works van had a speed limiter and I loved it. Used it all the time.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2019, 12:53:11 PM »
It is much easier to keep a set speed in the Civic with the nice big digital speedo just under windscreen than in the Jazz with its lower set analogue one
I have the digital GPS speedometer sitting in my line of sight, and it is a great advantage over the standard speedo. And it is more accurate. It always ties in with the speed displays you wind at various spots around our road system.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2019, 01:33:49 PM »
  but I do get get annoyed by people doing 30 or 40 in 60 limits,  completely oblivious to the queue building up behind them.... grrrrr.
I'm with you on that one Culzean, they think they are out for a Sunday afternoon drive, unfortunately most of them seem to be my age ;D ;D

MartinJG

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Mk2 1.4 EX 2010
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2019, 08:54:51 PM »
We have near me a stretch of 30 mph road, monitored by average speed cameras and find it somewhat annoying to be behind a car doing perhaps 24-25 mph, which to my mind is bit overzealous. 

May be annoying but I have been doing just under the speed limit in built up areas and have had BMW, Vauxhall Isignia or Audi ( the usual suspects ) trying to overtake, then a mobile speed van appears at the side of the road, following car slinks back behind me - saved from yet another ticket - but really I wish they had gone past and copped some points.  30 limits don't normally go on for long,  but I do get get annoyed by people doing 30 or 40 in 60 limits,  completely oblivious to the queue building up behind them.... grrrrr.

It is much easier to keep a set speed in the Civic with the nice big digital speedo just under windscreen than in the Jazz with its lower set analogue one - if only the Jazz could get the same sensible layout as the Civic ( and a temperature gauge ) -- Oh well....

Apparently the thing they underline continuously on speed awareness course is that the 'the posted speed limit is not a target'....

Curiously enough, I was on the dual carriageway last week, minding my own business with the CC set at 70MPH (75MPH if I want to push on a bit) and in so doing, passed a Civic on the inside lane. Must have woken him up because the next thing I know he shot past me at considerable speed as if to make a point and then pulled back into the inside lane and went back to sleep. I find this happens routinely though it is more often than not a BMW or similar styled jalopy. Never had this nonsense until I started driving a Jazz. Seems to provoke some sort of Jazz fever. Or should that be fervour. :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 08:57:26 PM by MartinJG »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2019, 09:09:32 PM »
Yes - assumption is you are an codger/granddad (both true in my case) and will drive at 27.5 mph and no more. I've seen some extraordinary attempts to get past me by motorists who then slow right down gaining nothing. The other thing is idiots accelerating when on the motorway and you try to overtake them in your Jazz.

guest7494

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2019, 09:38:52 AM »
Whilst the original thread was the non activation of Cruise Control under 30 mph, it appears to have meandered a little as to why drivers young and more experienced OLDER ones seem to be of the opinion that that if the speed limit is 60 mph all and sundry should hurtle along at the max limit.
I suppose if the limit was 80 mph or even 100 mph some lemmings would be rushing over the cliff so to speak this seems just a little ludicrous, surely the aim is to drive safely and arrive at one’s destination alive and well and not in an Ambulance. Simply because a road sign says limit 60 MPH or whatever.
Just because some lunatic with a brain the size of a walnut wishes to show his prowess or even his larger faster more expensive vehicle can go faster than yours he will still be at his destination 60 seconds faster than you but perhaps dead in the process,Experience visual perception of road conditions need to be exercised in ALL road scenario’s and at ALL speeds recommended or otherwise. I am sure that there will  be observations from other forum members regarding this post but I am sure the majority of sensible and intelligent drivers must or should agree that safety and not jostling for position is the safest and most secure way to drive especially in this age of little men in big cars expending there testosterone to prove that they are superior.This is usually proven to not be the case.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 10:00:30 AM »
I don't drive fast. I can if I need to, but usually I am in no particular rush, with tons of time to get where I am going. Nowadays I always drive at or below the speed limit. If I am on a country road, and there is traffic behind me, I will drive as near the limit as it is safe to do so. On the motorway/dual carriageway, I stick among the trucks. I very seldom need to be in the outside lane. After 54 years driving I have never had as much as a parking ticket.
In that time I have been a boy racer, a white van man, driven trucks, buses, rally cars and even had a shot in a single seater. Just cause I am old doesn't make an old codger!

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 10:27:14 AM »
I mingle with the trucks as well. Occasionally I'll have a burst of speed if there are a few slow ones but I am quite happy at 60 ish.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2019, 12:21:02 PM »
Me too. 60 on the speedo is about 55 on the GPS speedo. I am happy around there for fuel efficiency.

springswood

• Bob the Jazz
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Mk1 Jazz GE3 1.4 Sport 2008
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2019, 08:29:57 PM »
The GPS on my phone shows my speedo is pretty accurate (to 1 mph at 50), though I suppose it depends on tyres a bit.

The other day after being stuck behind someone doing 25 in a 30 zone for a mile or so, and knowing there was at least another mile of it to go, I took a chance to overtake. Safely of course. I spent the next mile at 30 with the other car hanging on to my bumper. There's nowt as queer as folk, eh?

I notice some impatience from others since driving a Jazz. Though also I think quite a few Mk1's are now been driven by younger people wanting something cheap and reliable. And driven quite briskly too.

"Indecision is a terrible thing"
Or is it? What do you think?

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2019, 08:57:35 AM »
Though also I think quite a few Mk1's are now been driven by younger people wanting something cheap and reliable. And driven quite briskly too.
The Mk1 is an awesome first car. Cheap to insure given its perceived place in the market. Cheap and easy to drive. Reliable and cheap to fix.

At the end of 2013 I retired from my employer of 30 years and gave back my company CR/V. I had planned to buy my eldest a car for his 21st birthday so I got a 2005 Jazz 1.4 SE and drove it myself for a while whilst I chose my own car. I loved it so much I drove it in preference to my CR/V during the overlap period for trips into town and the like.

I ended up getting a Mk2 Jazz for myself and had that for a couple of years until I got a slightly larger HRV. As for that Mk1 Jazz, we still have it and it is still going strong. My younger son (yet to pass his test) will get it soon (his brother now lives in London and has no need for a car). In the meantime, his girlfriend has been using it for the last year as her Fiat had to be scrapped. It just passed the MOT needing just some new tyres on the front.

On topic though, it doesn't have cruise control!  ;D

Tags: