Author Topic: Real world Jazz Hybrid fuel economy  (Read 4750 times)

JazzHybrid

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
Real world Jazz Hybrid fuel economy
« on: June 09, 2020, 01:27:55 PM »
Well guys, after one year of faultless ownership and 4,500 trouble free miles, I can say that based on a combination of A road and town driving (once or twice I went on the motorway, but rarely is that part of my travel schedule), the Jazz Hybrid has given me a real world 49.4MPG.

Random things to note:

1. The best real world MPG I achieved was 57.5MPG in Aug 2019, when the weather was hot. The worst, meanwhile, was in Feb 2020 when the weather was the opposite (41.7MPG). This confirms what we all knew - cold weather kills your MPG, in this case the difference is about 30% worse in the winter.

2. While I didn't always run the fuel tank to completely empty, the figures show that on average I filled up every 350 miles or so and always to the very top, resetting the trip each time. On some occasions I did go well past the empty fuel light and as many of you have said, the reserve fuel tank is quite substantial

3. I don't run Michelin Energy Saving tyres, my tyres are decent performance tyres (I think Dunlop Sport) but are made from a soft compound, so the stopping distances and handling is better (I always ensure they are pumped to 34psi), but they clearly have a higher rolling resistance. I think another 2MPG or so could be achieved with the correct tyres

4. On average I would say the trip computer or on screen MPG over-reads by around 9% (I am excluding the 4% and 16% as I believe these to be outliers)

5. Reserve fuel tank - I reckon once the empty fuel light comes on, you could probably get another 60 miles out of it. On several occasions I got an additional 30 miles, but didn't want to chance it too much. I say 60 because on one occasion I travelled 26 miles once the light switched on. The fuel tank at that point took 34.6 litres and we know a full tank is 40 litres, so there was a gallon left

The Jazz is a great little car, I am lucky to have picked up the HX spec with all the trim.

Comments welcome! :)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:31:16 PM by JazzHybrid »

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Real world Jazz Hybrid fuel economy
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 02:37:05 PM »
Comprehensive stats there. Always mean to take a note of the computer mpg to compare each individual trip. Instead I rely on a running average on trip B.

I find the computer is about 10% out of whack and your stats confirm that albeit with variations between each individual trip.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 02:38:55 PM by peteo48 »

JazzHybrid

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid IMA
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 08:36:36 PM »
I don't know how accurate this is, but AutoTrader shows the fuel consumption as per the attached image below.

GSX600FMAN

• 2014 Jazz Hybrid GP1
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: GE6 1.4EX, GG6 1.4EX. Now Jazz Hybrid (2014) April 2019
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2021, 08:33:33 AM »
From the fuel light coming on on Jazz HX-T (2014). I have covered over 100 miles, before I bottled out and pulled into fuel station. I did have with me fuel, in cans, ready. The proviso here is that after the light come on I only drove at about 56mph with the odd blast of extra speed.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 10:07:41 AM »
I've just checked my records and the most I managed to put in the tank on a refill was 33.5 litres when the car claimed there was 13 miles remaining until empty. I think somewhere in the handbook it says that the gauge zero is when there's 7 litres (~1.5 gallons) remaining which roughly tallies with my experience. Honda doesn't like the bad PR of having cars stopped by the road as they have run out of fuel!

The longest distance I managed between refills in my Mk 2 hybrid was 451 miles (touring Scotland so economical driving). However, as only 30.3 litres was needed to top it up then it should easily have travelled another 100 miles before running on air.
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

E27006

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 08:14:12 AM »
The volume of the  reserve of fuel in the tank is quite important for the operation of the car, a safety margin for when the car is ascending steep gradients with low-fuel warning on the fuel gauge, once I parked a Ford Cortina with the car facing up a steep gradient with the fuel gauge  showing low, the engine would not start, rectified by adding a gallon of fuel into the tank, the fuel must have run to the rear of the tank, the fuel pick up pipe no longer submerged in fuel.

Running low on fuel can cause  engine misfires due to starvation of petrol in the fuel injection system , such misfires can damage the catalytic convertor.

Over-filling a petrol tank may damage  the petrol tank vapour capture and recovery filter system, it is a canister plumbed to the fuel tank, it captures petrol vapour and is not intended to deal with neat petrol, I believe it contains an active charcoal material as a storage material. It is meant to last the life of the car, probably an  expensive part to replace.
The reason for when fuelling and the petrol pump nozzle cuts off supply, I avoid  the temptation to add more. 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 02:16:33 PM »
Over-filling a petrol tank may damage  the petrol tank vapour capture and recovery filter system
Not something that is fitted to my Jazz.

Tags:

anything