Author Topic: Independent servicing of Hybrid  (Read 6455 times)

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Independent servicing of Hybrid
« on: February 03, 2024, 05:02:03 PM »
My Local  Tyres, stop and steer  and  MOT centre has recently put up signs saying "Electric and Hybrid car service centre."   So presumably they are now  high voltage trained  and an alternative to main dealers. 

I had been wondering how MOT stations might cope  if the ICE doesn't start up   for an emissions check.   ;D   

Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
Re: Independent servicing of Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 06:23:53 PM »
No doubt they have to turn the heater setting up to max temp to force it to start

Hector

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz hybrid 2021
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 06:39:19 PM »
With the car in ev mode, the handbrake on and the gear lever in P, if we fully depress the gas pedal, the petrol engine starts as long as the pedal is fully depressed.

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2024, 08:11:03 PM »
With the car in ev mode, the handbrake on and the gear lever in P, if we fully depress the gas pedal, the petrol engine starts as long as the pedal is fully depressed.
You will have to make dam sure the handbrake is on :o

Lord Voltermore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 08:57:32 AM »
 I suppose in time  MOT testers would have learned how to overide  ICE shutdown on  all the various makes of   Hybrid they might encounter  ,  and how not to electrocute themselves while poking around underneath  ;D

I just found it reassuring  that  the garage I used to use  for MOT's etc on my Old Yaris  ,and the garage trade in general  ,are  preparing for an increasing number of Hybrids and EV's  that will no longer be under warranty and main dealer servicing plans.   

JazzandJag

• Approved Member
  • HR-V eHEV delivered February 2022
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 09:19:05 AM »
Just checked on the government website and it seems that hybrid vehicles emissions are not tested as part of the mot!

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2024, 09:54:43 AM »
Was just thinking the same, my family have  run hybrids for years, Lexus, and they do not test emissions, so was scratching my head about this post .

coravel

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 Hybrid EX
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2024, 10:20:59 AM »
Hybrids, the gift that keeps on giving.   ;D

Lord Voltermore

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2024, 11:07:40 AM »
whoops  :-[,  I just assumed that because  a Hybrids ICE still  burns petrol at a rate of 60 mpg  or so it would be emission tested.   Maybe its exempt to simplify things for testers. 

In my ignorance I  had planned to have the Jazz MOT'd  by Honda during its third ,4th and 5th  year service.      .   But my local MOT centre charge half price  and I can book it in to optimise the MOT expiry date  independent of the restrictions on servicing intervals to comply with a service plan or warranty.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 11:15:26 AM by Lord Voltermore »

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2024, 07:48:59 PM »
Hello . Third service completed on the Jazz today at DM Keith Honda . Car cleaned so you can see the paint shining once again and inside vacuumed out and dashboard dusted … filters changed and also brake fluid done as 37500 miles . HV battery fully charged and as usual door hinges all round sprayed along with bonnet latch and battery terminals . Clean oil at top of dipstick and topped up screen wash ! So next pitstop should be for first MOT before 1st sept -may just be before the fourth service !! New OEM wiper blades . They like customers so you do feel like part of the DM Keith -as their slogan says !

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2024, 08:21:03 PM »
Well done, you certainly rack up the miles. My wife’s 2.5 year old has done 10300 miles ! It is interesting that you note the oil was at the top of the dipstick, which I also would have expected. However on my Mercedes, the oil is filled up to halfway . It has an electronic dipstick, and the oil is very carefully measured so not to go above that level. At first I thought I had low oil and was tempted to top up, but it did not use any oil and I was glad I checked as it could have damaged the engine or various emission components. It is serviced by a main agent.

Tags: