Author Topic: Tyre deflation warning  (Read 16347 times)

coravel

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 Hybrid EX
Tyre deflation warning
« on: January 30, 2024, 02:45:32 PM »
Yesterday when driving home the tyre deflation symbol lit up on the dashboard.  Today I checked all four tyres to discover they were all around 29psi.  It's my understanding that the correct pressure should be 33psi so that's what I've pumped them up to.  However,  the warning light remains on. 

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
Re: Tyre deflation warning
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2024, 02:59:31 PM »
You need to re initialise the  tyre deflation warning system.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2024, 03:05:59 PM by Lord Voltermore »
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 03:17:48 PM »
In my experience of 3 Honda's with TPMS, if all tyres deflate at the same rate then the TPMS doesn't trigger as the rotation is still the same on all corners

As above, perform the reset and then complete the initialisation mileage taking in left and right hand bends
Let's be careful out there !

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2024, 03:48:06 PM »
You need to re initialise the  tyre deflation warning system.
In addition you should always check the tyre pressure when the tyres are cold.

The reason for this: A somewhat deflated tyre will flex more while driving and heat somewhat more up than the others, thus feigning the correct tyre pressure.

coravel

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2024, 03:54:32 PM »
Many thanks for the swift response.  You guys are very helpful. 

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2024, 10:15:42 AM »
The recommended pressures shown in the drivers  door jamb of my  EX are 35 psi front and 33 psi rear  . I use these.    Using 33 psi on all four may be near enough to be safe  but why not use what the manufacturers recommend?    The system 'learns' if they are different during the initialisation  process. 

Tyres can loose about 1 psi or so a month due to air  permeating through the rubber  , and also  tyre pressure drops in colder weather because cold air is denser and takes up less space in the tyre.     So dropping  from 33 psi to 29 psi is not unexpected.  Actually the monitoring system might not even detect this  drop as its equal all round.  . It normally detects if one wheel is rotating at a different speed to the others because the tyre is going flat. So its still important to regularly check the actual tyre pressure.  If the fronts drop from 35psi to 29 psi but  the rears  from only 33 to 29 psi  over the same period  you might need to keep an eye on them.  But there may not be a problem.  Tyre pressure gauges are not always 100% accurate or consistent to the nearest psi. But if  just one tyre is losing noticeable pressure.... >:(
Sometimes I can top up all four  tyre pressures equally ( or even change to my other set of wheels  and tyres ) and not need to re initialise the system. But if one tyre is inadvertently adjusted  to a slightly different pressure to its partners the system might activate, 

The system does sometimes activate shortly after you  fit new tyres  (or on a brand new car with its new  tyres)  because the tyres can take time to settle down and bed in to  the wheel rims.  You might even have to reset it a couple of times before it settles down.  Its possible that if all four tyres become equally underinflated over time  they might start to 'squirm' more on the rims and activate the system for the same reason. 

« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 10:38:06 AM by Lord Voltermore »

shufty

• Approved Member
  • ...Riding High
  • My Honda: HR-V
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2024, 11:29:29 AM »
...It's weird that the HR-V has reverted back to the same as the MK2 Jazz, 32 front an 30 rear  ???

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2024, 11:52:24 AM »
...It's weird that the HR-V has reverted back to the same as the MK2 Jazz, 32 front an 30 rear  ???
Honda may have found it was more comfortable and handled better at this  pressure ,and they had a big enough  advantage over its nearest rivals they didnt need to run higher pressures for better  emissions results  .   

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2024, 12:23:32 PM »
The H-RV is of course a different, heavier car with a different tire size.
Different tire pressures will probably also be recommended for the Civic and C-RV.
I even suspect (but not verified) that for the Jazz with tire size 185/60R15 88H may not be advised the same pressure as for the Jazz with 185/55R16 87H or the Crosstar with 185/60R16 86H.
In short: the recommended tire pressure may differ per type of car and tire size.
If nothing goes right, go left!

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2024, 03:49:39 PM »
Tyre pressures on door pillar
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 03:57:42 PM by CB72 »

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2024, 02:59:37 AM »
So once you reach 160km/h (100mph) you have to jump out and pump up the tyres to 39 / 38  ;D

Those pressures must give a harsh ride

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2024, 09:53:09 AM »
So once you reach 160km/h (100mph) you have to jump out and pump up the tyres to 39 / 38  ;D

Those pressures must give a harsh ride

Some might be willing to compromise on ride comfort  if they mostly  clock up a lot of miles on smooth motorways. Even at less than 100 mph having the  higher pressure may save some fuel.        Not sure the  Jazz would be my first choice as  a 100 mph + cruiser anyway.  ;D  And motorways are not always smooth these days  >:(
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 09:55:27 AM by Lord Voltermore »

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2024, 11:50:23 AM »
Our Jazz has been on all-season tires, pressure 2.7 - 2.6 bar (39 - 38 psi), from day 1. Does that make for a harsh uncomfortable ride?
I wouldn't know, never tried the lower pressure (2.4 - 2.3 / 35 - 33), so we don't know what we are missing in terms of comfort. ;D
The 'harsh ride mode' works well for us. But perhaps the tarmac/asphalt in Poland is slightly better than in the UK...?
If nothing goes right, go left!

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2024, 12:57:18 PM »
With those higher pressures are the tyres showing any centre wear ?

Too high - centre wear
Too low - edge wear

coravel

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2024, 01:11:25 PM »
The recommended pressures shown in the drivers  door jamb of my  EX are 35 psi front and 33 psi rear  . I use these.    Using 33 psi on all four may be near enough to be safe  but why not use what the manufacturers recommend?    The system 'learns' if they are different during the initialisation  process. 

Tyres can loose about 1 psi or so a month due to air  permeating through the rubber  , and also  tyre pressure drops in colder weather because cold air is denser and takes up less space in the tyre.     So dropping  from 33 psi to 29 psi is not unexpected.  Actually the monitoring system might not even detect this  drop as its equal all round.  . It normally detects if one wheel is rotating at a different speed to the others because the tyre is going flat. So its still important to regularly check the actual tyre pressure.  If the fronts drop from 35psi to 29 psi but  the rears  from only 33 to 29 psi  over the same period  you might need to keep an eye on them.  But there may not be a problem.  Tyre pressure gauges are not always 100% accurate or consistent to the nearest psi. But if  just one tyre is losing noticeable pressure.... >:(
Sometimes I can top up all four  tyre pressures equally ( or even change to my other set of wheels  and tyres ) and not need to re initialise the system. But if one tyre is inadvertently adjusted  to a slightly different pressure to its partners the system might activate, 

The system does sometimes activate shortly after you  fit new tyres  (or on a brand new car with its new  tyres)  because the tyres can take time to settle down and bed in to  the wheel rims.  You might even have to reset it a couple of times before it settles down.  Its possible that if all four tyres become equally underinflated over time  they might start to 'squirm' more on the rims and activate the system for the same reason.

Unfortunately the tyre pressures could not be found on the door jambs which is why I had to look it up on on the internet.  With my Mk2 Jazz the pressures could be found inside the petrol cap which seemed very convenient to me.  The car is due to go in for its 2 year  service next month so I can ask questions then. 

Tags: