Author Topic: Will the next gen Honda Jazz will be a full EV?  (Read 11507 times)

Jayt43

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 12:52:15 PM by Jayt43 »

Wilmo

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.5 Sport 2018
Re: Will the next gen Honda Jazz will be a full EV?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 01:10:08 PM »
Dear God!
I hope they see sense and stick to Hybrid until the technology & infrastructure catch up with the politicians pipe dream.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 01:36:27 PM »
The Honda E didn't sell so why do they think this one will before it's compulsory

What's the guess £40k
Let's be careful out there !

olduser1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX 2015 CVT Elite Pack
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2024, 02:22:20 PM »
Honda had tried a full EV Fit in the US around 10 yes ago no one wanted it. Nothing has changed .

coldstart

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Advance MY24
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2024, 02:30:42 PM »
Here's a bit more information about the 0 Series (planned for 2026):
https://global.honda/en/stories/113-2401-ev-honda-0-series-ces2024/ and https://0.honda/en/
I doubt that either the "Saloon" or the "Space-Hub" are meant as direct replacement of the Jazz.
Many parts of the world aren't yet ready for EVs (look e.g. how the german car makers strugle with their EVs), so Honda will be still building HEVs for the coming years.
They have, however a clear goal to go fully electric by 2050 (I'm probably not living long enough to see that).

Jayt43

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 02:50:31 PM »
I read an Autocar article which directly quoted Honda's CEO as saying that, along with the Saloon EV, a direct Jazz EV replacement would also come in 2026. Hopefully not another Honda e as their mantra is now apparently "Thin, Light and Wise" which refers to having lighter battery tech on board.

I did test drive a Honda e before buying my Jazz. TBH a lovely vehicle for city (only) driving if you have the cash. I would have plumped for one with a large discount (which was available at the time) but back seat acccommodation was tight compared to the Jazz and taking it on a motorway (anywhere) was a non-starter. For my needs Hybrid tech is definitely the way to go for now.

I'm curious about what Honda has in mind, but it needs to be well-priced anyhow. The Honda e was ridiculous money, hence its now end of life status.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 02:52:05 PM by Jayt43 »

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 03:25:20 PM »
Problem for car manufacturers is the legislation requiring them to sell an increasing percentage of EV’s each year. In 2024 it is 22% then 25% rising to 80% by 2030. Penalty is £15,000 per car sold outside the limits.
Honda will be forced to convert to EV’s if they wish to continue selling cars in the UK and as the Jazz is one of their best sellers it seems likely they will switch to an electric Jazz sometime in the next few years. So 2026 could well be the date for the EV powered Jazz.
The legislation is going to be an expensive problem for many less volume oriented car makers and while they can ‘buy’ exemptions from other car makers selling more than the set percentages of EV’s - Tesla for example - that can only delay the inevitable.
That the range of EV’s and charging network nowhere meets customers needs is irrelevant to governments. 
I know this is nuts but holier than thou madness has taken over from Common Sense in the UK!

Lincolnshire Rambler

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz mk4
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 03:37:00 PM »
The UK is a small market share for Honda . They won’t pay a penalty of £15,000 per car - they will just stop selling cars here

Jayt43

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 03:39:06 PM »
Great points above! Apparently Honda's CEO also said they might set up a production facility again in Europe. I'm presuming it wouldn't be in the UK though after the Swindon debacle...

BYD recently announced they would build a huge factory in Hungary for the European market. Warrent Buffet obviously needs more cash. But unless Honda do something smart they'll be dead in the UK (and Europe). Remember, back in 2006 Honda sold 80,000 units of the Jazz in Europe. Now it's onlyy 22,000 across the continent. That's frightening!

Honda might do well to follow MGs recipe for success, just obviously with cars that have better long-term reliability....
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 03:42:44 PM by Jayt43 »

ColinB

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 Jazz 1.3 SE manual in Milano Red
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 04:12:50 PM »
There's another factor against small EVs such as the "e" and any putative Jazz EV. People want a decent range, and with current technology that needs a big battery. That means a big car, so SUVs with long(ish) range are likely to sell better than small hatchbacks with short(ish) range.

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2024, 04:34:38 PM »
You are right with that, but battery technology is also rapidly advancing , there are so many variables in there at the moment.

CB72

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Hybrid EX
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2024, 05:45:09 PM »
The next Honda Jazz will have to be electric and compete with the likes of BYD Dolphin with a claimed range of 265miles, but we might lose the magic seats to accommodate the larger battery.  How many of us need a range more than 200miles. I do an average of 100miles each week so a charge every two weeks would be no trouble for me. I'm looking forward to an EV Jazz ;)

5thcivic

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX e:HEV and E
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2024, 06:32:32 PM »
The E sold badly because it is not designed as an only car. For a trip across the country, for rear seat space, for boot space, forget it. I don't commute, charge at home, and the E is a fantastic driving car, acceleration is swift and silent, up to 50 it beat all the rivals in a drag race test just pipped by the mini by 60, manoeuvrability and turning circle insane, and the price gave you a lot of tech, the camera mirrors and 360 degree cam view brilliant for parking, even self parking works well. Mercedes is now copying the screens built into the dash, rather than having a tablet stuck to the top (a bugbear of mine).

The Civic is a great car but just too big now, the Jazz really is the next best thing to the E for comfort, long trips and 60mpg, but the engine cutting in is still noticeable and not as serene as electric driving. I think the infrastructure needs to be a lot better for full electric, but the pleasure of silent one pedal driving is great. The economics of future driving is now up in the air, it could be that China will take over the market with cost and obliterate traditional makes in the same way the Japanese cars came and knocked down Ford and Vauxhall in the past. But after the hottest year yet something has to give for our grandchildren to have a chance.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 06:35:20 PM by 5thcivic »

Whiteshark

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Mk 4 jazz Hybrid EX Chrystal Red
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2024, 07:26:23 PM »
As has been stated already, I don’t actually think the problem is about the fact it is electric, it is the infrastructure to charge when needed that just is not there yet, and the outlook for it to be so , doesn’t look great. I would probably go “e” in time but I have a significant problem , not to mention cost  to have charging facilities.

Jazzik

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz e:HEV EX(ecutive) 2021 - Premium Sunlight White Pearl, name: Miles (after Miles Davis)...
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2024, 07:55:12 PM »
People want a decent range...

The question remains: what do we consider a "decent" range? Is that 250 mi. or maybe 350 mi. or better 450 miles?
This may be important two, three or perhaps even four times a year for long holiday trips. In normal daily use, about 250 miles is (more than!) sufficient for most of us.

Fleet News EV range test: how far can the latest models go?
https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/features-landing/fleet-news-ev-range-test#:~:text=While%20our%20test%20wasn't,than%20enough%20for%20most%20drivers.

But now those holiday trips. How often, on such a long(er) trip, would someone drive 150 or even 200 miles without a (coffee, toilet or charging) stop? I really don't... when I'm on vacation, I'm not in a hurry... Charging for half an hour...? Fine! Relax!

And yes... we have a good situation to choose an EV as our next car: our own garage with electricity and a separate 1x16 A group. And what's more, the public charging infrastructure is starting to develop considerably here.
So when the Jazz is replaced in 2 or 3 years, the successor will almost certainly be an EV. More options will then be available. Hopefully battery technology will continue to improve as well.

Fortunately, in the near future we will all (still) be able to choose! :D
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 08:14:21 PM by Jazzik »
If nothing goes right, go left!

Tags:

anything