Author Topic: Air recirculation  (Read 2142 times)

Skump

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2021
Air recirculation
« on: June 13, 2021, 12:17:44 PM »
Hi all, when I start up my 2021 Honda EX the cabin air recirculation light comes on in the air conditioning panel regards of whether it was off or on before shut down. I can't see anything in the manual about it but can only assume that in AUTO, the air conditioning logic sets it to recirculate automatically at start up. Does anybody know when it will switch off in AUTO or if I can change this setting?

Thanks.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Re: Air recirculation
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2021, 12:32:42 PM »
I have a Mk3 but I suspect the same set up is used in both cars. I tend to have the Climate Control in auto mode most of the time. If the weather is hot the cabin air recirculation light comes on and it can stay on for quite some time. I guess the idea is not to import warm air from outside into the cabin which the Air Con is trying to cool. I was worried about this at first but it does default back to the normal mode eventually.

If it worries you, there is always the option of setting the controls manually.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2021, 12:35:35 PM »
Hi all, when I start up my 2021 Honda EX the cabin air recirculation light comes on in the air conditioning panel regards of whether it was off or on before shut down. I can't see anything in the manual about it but can only assume that in AUTO, the air conditioning logic sets it to recirculate automatically at start up. Does anybody know when it will switch off in AUTO or if I can change this setting?

Thanks.
This will happen in warm weather on the auto setting.
Once the cabin has been cooled the system will revert to taking air from outside.
I don't know about the mk III or IV but it is easy to over ride this on the mkII although then the system is not in "auto".
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 01:37:59 PM by JimSh »

nowster

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 GR3 Jazz EX i-MMD in Midnight Blue
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2021, 02:34:44 PM »
On short trips in hot weather you're unlikely to see it flip over to outside air. It may do this more in Eco mode too, but I haven't tested that.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 02:39:48 PM »
It was common practice in Australia with ordinary aircon ( not climate control ) to open the car doors to get worst of heat out, then set the aircon on recirculate until it had got the cabin to a reasonable temperature and switch to fresh air mode.  It doesn't help that the air coming into cabin has passed over a hot bonnet ( heated by sun and engine ) to get into the intake vent....   Modern cars with their massive windscreens have made aircon a necessity - just like modern building with their acres of glass have.  In older parts of Aussie the buildings had overhanging roofs to keep sun off walls, windows were not large and they were surprisingly cool even on hot days ---- now that is sustainable building that does not require vast amounts of energy to keep them cool.

One of those reflective silver windscreen shields when car was parked also helped - as did the 'double roof' often seen on 4X4 in the outback, a second roof about a foot above the normal roof, and painted white helped to keep inside of vehicle reasonable.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Skump

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2021
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 09:49:19 PM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I'll take it on a longer journey sometime and see if the recirc goes off in auto once the car has cooled down.

guest4871

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 10:30:19 PM »
It is not recommended to drive more than a certain time in recirculation setting - you risk getting drowsy without getting fresh air. IIRC that's about 20 minutes.

Yes normally, in Auto mode, the recirculation will revert to fresh air when the interior cools.

However, if the outside temperature is too hot for the capacity of air conditioner to reduce the interior temperature to the temperature setting, i.e. the temperature down demand required exceeds the capacity of the air conditioner to chill the air, then the system will sit in recirculate.

The way in overcome this is to increase the temperature setting in Auto slightly to the point to which the air conditioner can cope with the demand i.e. the system can automatically switch to fresh air.

In other words, if your temperature setting in Auto is too low, you will be demanding more chilling capacity than the air conditioner can supply.

The interior may be slightly warmer than you might normally chose but you will get fresh air. The air conditioner will be operating at maximum capacity.

As said, you can manually over ride the recirculate, which is much safer than driving for a long time in recirculate. You will get fresh air but it will not add to cooling as the air conditioner will still not have the capacity to chill to your desired setting. In fact it may well increase the overall internal temperature.

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 08:46:26 AM »
If it gets too hot for the A/C to cope with in the UK then heaven help those living in warmer climes - Spain, Italy etc.
Honestly any modern A/C should easily cope with world temperature.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2021, 08:49:11 AM »
I have had many cars that only had recirc systems. Mind you, we also had a car where you could open the windscreen at the bottom.

richardfrost

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Black 2005 1.4 SE RIP
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2021, 09:10:17 AM »
Family road trip to the western US in 2011. Zabriskie Point. 44C outside but the air con managed perfectly in our rented Dodge Caravan. The brakes on that thing were another matter entirely. The problem with hire cars is people just hand them back and don’t bother reporting faults. Mind you they probably mostly get driven around on the flat, whereas this one took us around Yosemite valley, over the 10,000ft Tioga Pass and then down 10,250 ft to the bottom of Death Valley. I didn’t mention the state of the brakes to the Mrs until we got to the bottom. Had to change the car in Las Vegas as it was just unsafe. Gave great Air Con though  ;D ;D

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2021, 09:25:33 AM »
Family road trip to the western US in 2011. Zabriskie Point. 44C outside but the air con managed perfectly in our rented Dodge Caravan. The brakes on that thing were another matter entirely. The problem with hire cars is people just hand them back and don’t bother reporting faults. Mind you they probably mostly get driven around on the flat, whereas this one took us around Yosemite valley, over the 10,000ft Tioga Pass and then down 10,250 ft to the bottom of Death Valley. I didn’t mention the state of the brakes to the Mrs until we got to the bottom. Had to change the car in Las Vegas as it was just unsafe. Gave great Air Con though  ;D ;D

In hot countries like USA and Australia vehicles get an aircon system that would keep an average size house cool.... otherwise people won't buy them.  It does mean that the aircon absorbs about 5 horsepower from the engine though.... Cars in Aussie with 4 or 5 litre lumps used to drop revs when the compressor cut in.

Even on recirculate the system will let in a % of fresh air - there will be a hole in the fresh air shut-off  flap to allow fresh air.  This is to prevent build up of carbon dioxide and monoxide inside car if recirc is left on for a long time - I would be surprised if this is not a legal requirement.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 09:43:55 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

guest4871

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 10:58:48 AM »
If it gets too hot for the A/C to cope with in the UK then heaven help those living in warmer climes - Spain, Italy etc.

Different climates, different specs? UK has a Temperate climate not a Mediterranean climate. Much will probably depend on solar gain rather than air temperature.

In the tropics humidity is more of a problem than absolute temperature or solar gain.

Horses for courses....

Expatman

• Approved Member
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 02:25:40 PM »

Different climates, different specs? UK has a Temperate climate not a Mediterranean climate. Much will probably depend on solar gain rather than air temperature.

In the tropics humidity is more of a problem than absolute temperature or solar gain.

Horses for courses....
Do you really think Honda put in different A/C systems for UK compared to France, Italy etc. I find that hard to believe. Anyone know definitively?

Zaier

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Jazz e:HEV 2020 Executive
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 02:59:35 PM »
I'm noticing the same "issue" here in Italy.
This weekend I had two one hour trip with around 32° outside and the climate set to 26°-27° auto.
The climate engaged the aircon but always kept recirculation on, which scared me a little, but netheir me, nor my wife and daughter noticed strange effects.
So I'm wondering if even with recirculation engaed, some outside air is mixed to avoid hypoxia issues, otherwise I would have expected some sleepiness after such long time.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 03:02:55 PM by Zaier »

jazzaro

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: GK3 Jazz 1.3 6m Elegance Navi grey.
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 03:11:14 PM »
So I'm wondering if even with recirculation engaed, some outside air is mixed to avoid hypoxia issues, otherwise I would have expected some sleepiness after such long time.
You can check the behaviour removing the glovebox ahead the front passenger seat, you will find both the pollen filter slot, both the air recirculation door.
I noticed that setting the fan at high speed, the air recirculation door stays a little open even pressing the outside air source button; I don't know what happens in Auto mode.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2021, 01:08:56 PM by jazzaro »

Tags:

anything