Author Topic: Pessimistic Fuel Gauge  (Read 6335 times)

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
Re: Pessimistic Fuel Gauge
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2021, 04:37:29 PM »
By choice, I always wait until the low fuel light comes on before I top up.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2021, 04:46:50 PM »
I'm another half tank topup.

I always worry that with the low fuel light on ther'll be a problem, garage shut, card fails or something.
Let's be careful out there !

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2021, 04:50:07 PM »
This may divide opinion and I'm certainly no expert on these things, but a mechanic I know told me many years ago that consistently using almost your entire fuel tank was a good thing as you were more likely to avoid poor quality fuel accumulating at the bottom (because it would have been processed by the engine for its intended purpose).

Ever since then, and on a range of previous cars, I have almost always waited for the fuel warning light to come on before filling up (when there is approx. 5-7 litres left in a 40 litre tank). Not sure if that mechanic was right or I've just been lucky, but I've never had any engine problems.

I never let tank get below 50% and I have never had a problem - the fuel pump gets its fuel from lowest point of tank anyway so bad fuel cannot collect there, in a motorbike the fuel outlet is at bottom of tank.  Some extreme MPG drivers like to keep to fuel level low to save weight - I am not one of them, a car without fuel is a road ornament ( or good for keeping chickens in ). I am noticing that a lot of small service stations are closing and the remaining ones are larger but further apart.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2021, 06:39:24 PM »
By choice, I always wait until the low fuel light comes on before I top up.
I always fill up at the same filling station every time and carry three payment cards. If all three fail, tough. The petrol will already be in the tank!
If I have something special on I will have the tank filled in advance. At the moment I am getting called out at all times of the day and night so never let the tank get lower than to have enough petrol to get to the Royal Infirmary and back.

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2021, 07:01:59 PM »
I always fill up at the same filling station every time and carry three payment cards. If all three fail, tough. The petrol will already be in the tank!
I haven't had a card fail in years. Got so used to them being reliable. Have my debit card, and the Mastercard for back up. Certainly never pay in cash anymore.

Tend to use our local Texaco as the owners are such a friendly bunch and the reward gives 1p litre back. Failing that, our Asda. I do like pay at pump for convenience.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2021, 05:37:45 AM »
It's just me being me.

I just like to have the car in the garage with at least half a tank so I'm covered.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2021, 06:33:15 AM »
I tend to fill up when I get to just under 100 miles remaining on the display. Gone are the days of driving as a teenager constantly with the low fuel light on and filling up with a fivers worth  :-[

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2021, 10:35:04 AM »
When I was a teenager a fivers worth would fill the tank, WITH CHANGE.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2021, 10:46:25 AM »
In the early 70's my Mini took £1.10s to brim it.

swhull

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Si 1.4 i-vtec
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2021, 12:23:43 PM »

Ha! What a time to be alive  :D

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2021, 12:52:10 PM »
I tend to fill up when I get to just under 100 miles remaining on the display. Gone are the days of driving as a teenager constantly with the low fuel light on and filling up with a fivers worth  :-[

That's my official policy unless I've got a money off voucher or extra nectar points etc.

JimSh

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2014 Honda Jazz ES Plus
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2021, 02:11:20 PM »

5/- a gallon for long enough.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2021, 02:13:09 PM »

Ha! What a time to be alive  :D

Yeah we had non of the global warming stuff to worry about, just being nuked by Russia or blown up by Irish, freezing to death because miners were on strike ... happy days!   Early 1970's nearly had fuel rationing ( they actually issued the vouchers ) because middle east / OPEC was kicking off about something or other.
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2021, 02:27:15 PM »
When I passed my test, Esso premium 5 star, from one of the four privately owned filling stations in our small town (no supermarket petrol then - no supermarkets), was 4/4d a gallon (22p).

Westy36

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2021, 04:22:32 PM »
I have no idea what price fuel was in '89 when I passed. But it was around then that fuel started to be sold in litres, and unleaded was making an appearance.

As a teenager, I could never afford to fill the car in one go. Mind you, some of my earlier motors I'm not sure I had confidence they would last long enough to use the entire tankfull even if I had had the money!!  :D

I only started paying attention to fuel prices during the fuel strike of 2000. Remember that?

Look at all those lovely cars. Lots of red motors and not an SUV in sight, Suzuki Vitara aside! Only three German cars in the photo, I bet there would a lot more of them today.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 04:25:42 PM by Westy36 »

Tags: