Author Topic: Sat Nav Map Updates  (Read 15262 times)

Expatman

• Approved Member
Re: Sat Nav Map Updates
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2021, 04:39:35 PM »
Undoubtedly inbuilt Satnavs are going the way of inbuilt cassette player and CD players. As Smartphones are now so cheap and plentiful that used with Android Auto or Carplay and a mapping App they supercede inbuilt Satnavs in most ways. Given the rate of development I foresee that Satnavs will go the way of the Dodo in 5 years.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2021, 04:56:55 PM »
My phone has a 5" screen and is just too small for ageing eyes. I only need glasses for reading so I don't need them for driving.

The built in unit is considerably larger and makes a world of difference.
Let's be careful out there !

ndavey1

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz SR 2020
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 05:07:33 PM »
My phone has a 5" screen and is just too small for ageing eyes. I only need glasses for reading so I don't need them for driving.

Yes but the phone connects instantly to the inbuilt display. As soon as I start the car my maps load instantly on the screen as well as podcasts and calendar. This is all from my phone which stays in my pocket and never leaves.

Downsizer

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.3 SE cvt - Feb '16 - Blue
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 05:21:13 PM »
Of course, there will be a few people who like the the simplicity and neatness of having it all built in, and dare I say, there's probably a few owners on here that think all this talk of apps is something to do with architecture.
Yes, that’s me!  I have neither built-in SatNav nor Smartphone, but I wouldn't be without my portable Garmin, with unlimited updates bought for £70 around 10 years ago.  I’ve used it in numerous hire cars around Europe as well as in my own cars.

ndavey1

• Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2021, 05:37:03 PM »
Of course, there will be a few people who like the the simplicity and neatness of having it all built in, and dare I say, there's probably a few owners on here that think all this talk of apps is something to do with architecture.
Yes, that’s me!  I have neither built-in SatNav nor Smartphone, but I wouldn't be without my portable Garmin, with unlimited updates bought for £70 around 10 years ago.  I’ve used it in numerous hire cars around Europe as well as in my own cars.
Ok if you don’t own a smartphone and don’t want one, the portable sat navs are the way to go for sure. In built systems always seem to have their issues.

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2021, 02:54:16 AM »

Yes but the phone connects instantly to the inbuilt display. As soon as I start the car my maps load instantly on the screen as well as podcasts and calendar. This is all from my phone which stays in my pocket and never leaves.

I do indeed have my phone connect to my headunit but only to interrupt the audio and issue upcoming speed camera alerts. I'll be interested to see the Crosstar difference as my headunit isn't Android. 2013 Honda/Alpine Premium Audio with nav.

It's horses for courses and my preference is to have a built in SatNav if possible. I know roads change but I'm not one to follow SatNav guidance fully as we all know they do some odd things.

I used my current 2012 mapping in 2019 when the daughter was house hunting in Reading and it got us to every house without issue.

ColinS

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2018 HR-V EX-Navi CVT
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2021, 07:57:26 AM »
Just to put my vote in, I too prefer built in and it's never failed to find a place for me.  No clutter and nothing to remove to deter the car from being broken into.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2021, 09:27:50 AM »
I've no experience of the Honda system, but I do have a Vauxhall which came with 2012 mapping, which I did update in 2019. To be honest, the old maps very rarely caused me any problems, apart from a few roundabouts missing and altered junctions, and of course any new build developments were completely missing.

What I do find useful over a stand alone satnav is the fact that radio audio is muted down when the satnav is giving instructions. I like music on a long journey, and I occasionally didn't quite hear the odd instruction fully, so had to look at the screen.

Although it's an older system, they still produce annual updates.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2021, 11:19:14 PM »
My phone never leaves my pocket and I can use Waze on CarPlay - why would anyone use the built in navigation these days?

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2021, 05:05:58 AM »
Maybe for the reasons posted above.

As I said, horses for courses and for me the built in unit works well so I can use my phone to (non android headunit) for other things.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2021, 11:06:40 AM »
My phone never leaves my pocket and I can use Waze on CarPlay - why would anyone use the built in navigation these days?

I presume you mean on a new car with that capability.

Mine doesn't, and the built in satnav works well enough.

TiJazz

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar eHEV
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2021, 12:29:42 PM »
On the latest Jazz yup :)

ndavey1

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2021, 01:18:28 PM »
Of course it helps to have a decent phone otherwise known as iPhone  :D

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2021, 01:44:09 PM »

You don't really need anything fancy, or even recent, to run a satnav app. Of course, a flip Doro isn't much use  ;)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2021, 01:53:27 PM »

I've never had or would consider IOS over Android. Apple is too locked down and expensive for my liking.

Tags: