Author Topic: SNP stance on EV's.  (Read 7991 times)

guest1372

Re: SNP stance on EV's.
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2017, 02:58:09 PM »
This is what Daimler said, but that does not look like a particularly high current plug.  Note 'up to'.

"The network will be based on Combined Charging System (CCS) standard technology. The planned charging infrastructure expands the existing technical standard for AC- and DC charging of electric vehicles to the next level of capacity for DC fast charging with up to 350 kW. BEVs that are engineered to accept this full power of the charge stations can recharge brand-independently in a fraction of the time of today’s BEVs."

https://www.daimler.com/innovation/efficiency/ultra-fast-charging-of-electric-vehicles.html

The FT seems to have digested it a little better.
"The proposed new charge points will have capacity of 350kW, allowing cars in future to charge more than twice as fast."
https://www.ft.com/content/1db52960-b62d-11e6-961e-a1acd97f622d

For reference a Tesla Supercharger provides up to DC 120kW per car.
--
TG

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 04:22:29 PM »
I take it these numbers are per hour? Has someone, some time in the past, decided that you can just quote a number and Joe public will understand it means per hour. It is like saying a car will do 120 miles and everyone knows it means 120 mph!
After all, a phone charger will give you 350kW. It will just take forever to do so.
Charging rates should be quoted in kW-h to seriously mean something. I obviously missed out somewhere.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 05:07:26 PM »
350kW without any suffix means an instantaneous value, (like 'an electric shower is rated at 9kW' ) but to run the shower for one hour it would take 9kW hours, for two hours 18kWh etc  - which is the total of power used or supplied over a time period.

They state 'For reference a Tesla Supercharger provides up to DC 120kW per car' -  but each supercharger allows two cars to charge at same time, and if you plug two cars in it can only supply 60kW per car.

A kw is current (amperes) x voltage - which is why pylon conductors, even though they don't look very big and are made of aluminium (a worse conductor than copper) with a stranded steel core can carry a lot of power because voltage is so high (400,000 volts) the current for each KW carried becomes very low (and the insulation ie. air is free, unlike buried HV cables which are extremely complex and maintenance intensive and like a bomb waiting to go off).

Journalists are normally useless at anything technical,  and when it comes to statistics they are dire,  they will happily tell the public that 'this drug will double your chances of having a heart attack' which would scare most people silly, when they should say 'chance of a heart attack is 1 in 10,000  - this drug raises it to 2 in 10,000'  - which clarifies the risk much better.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 05:19:14 PM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2017, 06:15:25 PM »
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics"

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2017, 08:58:30 PM »
This article https://www.siemens.com/innovation/en/home/pictures-of-the-future/mobility-and-motors/electromobility-electric-ferries.html highlights the problem of local grid capacity and gives a solution which could be replicated for vehicle charging (and substantially increase the cost).
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2017, 09:17:50 PM »
This article https://www.siemens.com/innovation/en/home/pictures-of-the-future/mobility-and-motors/electromobility-electric-ferries.html highlights the problem of local grid capacity and gives a solution which could be replicated for vehicle charging (and substantially increase the cost).

That is the same concept as the phys.org link I posted earlier in thread,

https://phys.org/news/2016-01-electric-car-fast-tank-gas.html

but that was for road EV - batteries the size of shipping containers act as a buffer to lessen instantaneous demand on local electricity supply.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 08:32:14 AM by culzean »
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

Jocko

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 10:26:15 AM »
Photographed this shale oil tanker with a delivery from Wilmingham for the refinery at Grangemouth. I think Scotland imports as much oil as it exports these days!

Tags:

anything