Author Topic: Annoying whistle between 50mph and 70mph  (Read 2200 times)

Fgreen

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Jazz
Annoying whistle between 50mph and 70mph
« on: January 26, 2021, 04:57:40 PM »
Hi everyone, I have seen a similar post which did not get resolved. I recently swapped my faithful 2003 Honda Civic with 150000 miles for a 2019 Jazz CVT.  I took it for a test drive and was quite happy with it. Even took it on m'way to see rpm at 60mph compared to my Civic and it was fine. A week after test drive I picked car up to take home , again some m'way travel and all was fine . But on Sunday evening I travelled on Mway and became aware of a high pitched whistling noise which sounded like it was coming from the corner between speedo and drivers side wing mirror,
Tried turning radio off and turned heater blower off it was still apparent.  I guess a bit like if you had tinnitus , sometimes it had a bit of a flutter but then returned. As it was cold and dark did not investigate at this time. On following day went on m'way and listened for the noise , it became apparent at 50 mph and stayed exactly same volume and pitch if you went up to 70mph. When I came off m'way once below 50mph it disappeared. I did lower drivers window when noise present and it became louder so I assume it is some sort of external wind noise , maybe to do with wing mirror or windscreen wiper or even a seal on windscreen or door. Thing is the contract with Honda Main dealer is I have 2 weeks to return the car if I'm not happy with it and I don't know if this is something that is easily or quickly fixed . Can't see any recalls for this problem and no real hits on internet for this aprticular problem but generally Hondas do seem to have their fair share of noise problems. A bit disappointed a sthey're supposed to be designed and tested using wind tunnels. Any advice or help much appreciated.   

VicW

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 07 Plate Civic 1.8 i-Shift.
Re: Annoying whistle between 50mph and 70mph
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 07:16:31 PM »
It does sound very much like wind noise possibly from a window seal. Try each window in turn to check that it is seating properly. You will need someone's help to do this. Try each window in turn with the door open. Power the window down and then back up, when it is fully up get your helper to grasp the window with one hand each side and pull upwards while you operate the up switch and see if the window moves up any more, it may only be a very slight amount.
Jazz windows are known to stick slightly with lack of use but the usual symptom is that they power up and then open slightly, this is the safety device that prevents fingers getting trapped. Open the window, lubricate the runners with silicon spray and power the window up and down a few times.
It is also worth checking the door seals particularly at the bottom of the door frame where they might get scuffed by feet as people get in and out of the car.

Vic. 

Fgreen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 07:56:36 PM »
Thanks very much for your suggestions , I'll take a look tomorrow. Can't see it being the door seals scuffed as its only done 4000 miles. Its going to the dealers on friday so we'll see what they say. Will update with findings.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 08:54:41 PM »
Great advice from VicW.  :D Your car is low mileage, but if some of the windows have not been used in its 18 months, that could be the issue.

Lets see what the Honda dealer comes up with, and I hope it gets fixed.  ;D

Your Civic lasted well. I bet it feels good to have a car that is 16 years newer! 

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2021, 10:21:41 PM »
My wife noticed a whistle from mine though I didn't hear it. Then a few days later, I noticed it. The rear passenger side window was not fully home (manual). It wasn't open so you could see, but it wound up a fraction, and the sound disappeared.

Happyarry

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz EX Navi i-vtec CVT
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2021, 01:18:20 PM »
I like Vic's advice, if the seal is just holding the window open slightly it will whistle, having someone lift the window once closed while you operate the switch will reveal that. I also agree treating all seals with silicone spray or a proprietary trim lube, this keeps them nice and supple and less likely to bind, plus stop them freezing.
It will be very interesting to see how you get on.

Harry

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2021, 01:57:36 PM »
There have been a few of these on the Civic.

I'm searching through them. The Jazz doesn't have the black plastic panel in front of the door mirror so it won't be that.

I found this one:

under my wing mirror there is a rubber seal going along under the mirror i noticed that half way under the rubber had some owe managed to turn in and there for leaving a gap i went down b and q and bough some foam that u can use for house door seals and fitted it in the gap. 60 70 mph before whistle whistle whistle now nothing so i think ive cracked the issue of whistling door mirrors hope this helps

I'll see if I can find any more .......
Let's be careful out there !

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2021, 02:25:24 PM »
Gaps in mirrors can make a lot of whistle, say if the sprung manual folding isn't properly seated.

I found a whistle like that by driving with the window open, 'fondling' around the driver's side mirror to see if it made any difference to the noise. Probably safer to masking tape over the gaps, see if it eliminates the mirror as a source.

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2021, 04:27:18 PM »
It shows how refined our cars are these days. I've had a few motors where you wouldn't have even heard a whistle over the aged noisy groaning mechanicals and ill fitting doors etc!  :D The best fix used to be turn the cassette player up!  8)

Kremmen

• Approved Member
  • Civinfo interloper
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: MY22 Jazz EX
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2021, 04:41:50 AM »
The only other non plastic triangle post involved soundproofing over the 3 bolts holding the mirror in place but that involved taking the door card off.
Let's be careful out there !

Fgreen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2021, 03:53:49 PM »
Hello everyone , thanks for all the suggestions. I do have an update. I did make arrangements to go back to dealers since I am halfway thro a 2 week grace period when I can return the car for full refund. So it’s been difficult with current lockdown restrictions to do social motoring to diagnose the problem , especially as I need to get to a motorway to achieve the required speed to bring on the noise. So last night , before my trip to the dealers today , I had a good look round the bonnet and mirror areas. What I found , standing at the front of the car and looking towards the drivers side mirror was that there was a small gap , perhaps 1 or 2 mm, between the 2 plastic trim covers below the mirror. I think on my Civic  this was a substantial piece of metal but on this 2019 Mk3 Jazz it is 2 pieces of plastic that fit together. This same gap was apparent on the passenger side mirror. I pressed both half’s together and the gap closed up , then did same on drivers side. Don’t know how these covers are supposed to be secured , whether  they are secured with screws , some latch mechanism or are just a tight fit.
Anyway this is the only thing I’ve done to try and rectify the noise and on my trip to the dealers there was no whistling noise even at 70 mph. So I think I’m in the right area. I was disappointed at the dealers that neither of the 2 people I had discussed the problem with were available ( didn’t make me feel like a valued customer) and I opted not to have anyone else mess with the car. I’ll continue to monitor it, I have not yet swung the mirrors in and out to see if this makes the gap come back. Will just get confidence that this is the cause initially. Perhaps any of you Mk3 Jazz owners could take a look at their door mirrors and see if any gap is evident between the 2 plastic “shells” under the mirror.

Fgreen

• Topic Starter
  • Registered Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 02:48:19 PM »
Here is a pic of the gap causing the whistle,

Tags: