Author Topic: Car Dead After Putting New Battery In  (Read 4761 times)

zeusmc

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz 2004
Re: Car Dead After Putting New Battery In
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 07:42:39 PM »
Hi,
I didn't turn the ignition.

sparky Paul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2015 GG6 Jazz EX 1.4 I-VTEC / 2008 GE3 Jazz SE 1.4 i-DSI
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 10:31:21 PM »
A number of modules have permanent 12V via the engine bay fusebox, including the instrument panel, which is critical to the operation of the car. First of all, you need to make sure that all fuses in this fusebox are intact, and beware of testing in situ. Then it's a matter of working through the wiring to see what's got 12V and what hasn't.

http://www.hondafitjazz.com/wiring_diagram.html

The alternator regulator may be fried, you are probably 50/50 on that, but it should not prevent you seeing some life.

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 08:11:32 AM »
OK I'll check the engine bay fuses again. As I mentioned I did check the F1 main supply fuse, F3 main ignition fuse in situ, as I couldn't undo the holding screws, both passed current.
Thank you.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 08:30:41 AM »
OK I'll check the engine bay fuses again. As I mentioned I did check the F1 main supply fuse, F3 main ignition fuse in situ, as I couldn't undo the holding screws, both passed current.
Thank you.

As SparkyP says testing fuses in-situ not a good idea as the meter can read other things in circuit, and it the fuse is blown and you put a ohm-meter across it there is a chance you can get full 12 volts which will not be kind to the meter. 
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 08:45:48 AM »
" as the meter can read other things in circuit " I had a feeling that other things would interfere with the reading but carried on.

Would I be OK to put a couple of drops of releasing, penetrating oil, on the screrw heads, lugs to help loosen up, so I can get them out to test?
Cheers.

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 08:54:26 AM »
" as the meter can read other things in circuit " I had a feeling that other things would interfere with the reading but carried on.

Would I be OK to put a couple of drops of releasing, penetrating oil, on the screrw heads, lugs to help loosen up, so I can get them out to test?
Cheers.

Try tightening the screws slightly before trying to loosen them,  that will often work - and make sure your screwdriver bit is the proper one and fits properly as it is easy to ruin the head with wrong screwdriver.  Choices are PZ = pozidriver, Philips = PH or Japanese industrial standard = JIS ( which often have a small indented dot on the head )

http://dansmc.com/jis_screw.htm

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/types-of-screwdriver.htm
Some people will only consider you an expert if they agree with your point of view or advice,  when you give them advice they don't like they consider you an idiot

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2020, 12:37:11 PM »
Just had a look at those links, am going out to check fuses again.
Cheers.

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 01:41:47 PM »

Cheers.

Try tightening the screws slightly before trying to loosen them,  that will often work - and make sure your screwdriver bit is the proper one and fits properly as it is easy to ruin the head with wrong screwdriver.  Choices are PZ = pozidriver, Philips = PH or Japanese industrial standard = JIS ( which often have a small indented dot on the head )

http://dansmc.com/jis_screw.htm

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/types-of-screwdriver.htm

I pulled out all the fuses that were pull out, put old curtain around, so wouldn't drop them into car, or lose on ground.... smart boy:)
The screw heads have a dot on them,so I will need to buy a set of JIS drivers.I thought the screwed in fuses could be tested in situ, then told best to remove to test. Hadn't thought of looking at tops of them.

I noticed I could see the top of the F1 main 80A supply fuse, can see the filiment between the poles has burnt through. Looking at the tops of the other fuses, all are good.

Just initial looking I see on Ebay 173703397020  a new 80A fuse for £20, it might be a better economy to buy a used fuse box for about the same price, then I could also have spare fuses and relays if happen to need to replce now or possibly in future. Would any Honda Jazz fuse box do, or does have to be the 2004 year of my car? These long leg fuses,  253527457403 are a load cheaper would one fit?
Cheers.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 01:50:08 PM by zeusmc »

culzean

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2020, 05:48:37 PM »

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2020, 06:40:43 PM »
Yes but 6 miles away, and the Machine Mart link, says product discontinued. When tried to undo screw with what seemed a right fitting Philips,started to slip on head. Reluctant to try turning otherway you suggested, then might mess up screw head, leads into other problem. My brother has Amazon Prime, but anything on Prime is quite a bit more than Machine Mart.

This Ebay listing 313213985682, says fast and free, often items listed as such arrive sooner than the date they give.( By Tuesday 15th Sept )  I'm in a semi rural town, nothing like Screwfix, Toolstation here. A longshot, there is an ironmongery shop here, will give them a call first thing in morning.

I'm going to have to have an 80A fuse. So should I order that genuine Honda Jazz 80A replacement fuse?
Cheers for help on this.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 06:57:47 PM »
Amazon do a set for £15. Get them tomorrow.

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 07:42:48 PM »
OK thanks can you give me description, link?

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:

zeusmc

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2020, 10:48:42 AM »
Hi and thanks, just ordered the screwdriver set, from Ebay same price but estimated delivery sooner.
Also ordered the 80A fuse, estimated delivery Mon, 21 Sep 2020 - Tue, 22 Sep 2020.
With luck will come earlier, when received and fitted, will get back to forum with results.
Cheers :) Stay safe.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2020, 10:58:56 AM »
Don't know what eBay was offering but Amazon would have delivered it to me today!

Tags: