Author Topic: Dunlop SP2030 tyres - excessive wear on inside edge and cracking between treads  (Read 144150 times)

guest3250

That's what I'm looking for basically, more feedback, it's not remote or vague like some cars, just not 'weighted' quite enough for my liking ;D.
BTW, on a cautionary note, I think having wider (195) tyres on the front and narrower (185) tyres on the rear is a contravention of Construction and Use rules?, the other way round is fine, it dates back to when all vehicles were RWD :o.
Ooh that's interesting! - not too sure about it though, it's quite complex. Yes Understeer is considered safer than oversteer - but 195's on the front are not going to be better than 185's in the wet! Also - casting my mind back
to an archive of stuff I really don't need stored in my head... The old Citroen CX 2200 & 2400's had 185's on the front and 175's on the back as standard! 
I fully intend to swap the tyres over, after  this winter - once I have decided what I think of them (more feel trying out tyres on the front) as it is also a brand I have not used before. Will wear the others out on the front, then get new, and swap back again.

Defender

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 1.4 EX CVT
I know exactly what you mean the front tyres, on a front wheel drive car having both the power and steering going through them, they will be the primary factor in direction etc., the rears will go where the fronts are headed in 99% of cases.
It did cross my mind that the C&U rules might have been updated to take into account modern designs like Front Wheel Drive etc!
I guess the acid test would be an MOT?, that said I see many cars on the road that are obviously contravening C&U rules that should have an MOT, so they seem to get away with it.
Interesting about the old Citroen CX's though, typical wonderful querkie Citroen, when did you last see one of those on the road, other than Jeremy Clarksons mobile version of the Trellick Tower :o
2011 1.4 EX CVT in Metalic Mushroom (Urban Titanium).

guest3250

Not seen one of those on the road in a long time - there were a few others like that...
Most odd sizes involve larger wheels/tyres on the back however.
Having just spent out lots of additional money on tyres recently I wasn't about to waste the almost new
back tyres (long boring saga!) - but I have a long term plan to get all 4 changed over to 195's
TBH the difference is almost invisible.

guest3250

I`m well behind you guys with 16" 195 tyres... I`ve 14" 175/65 and considering to fit 185/60 next year 14".
Good to hear 195 works well.
Did you mean 175/65/15" wheels & tyres? - the standard S & ES size
If you have them I would suggest sticking with them unless you have a problem with them...?

davegreen55

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 EX 2010
Hello everyone! This is a first post, so please be kind to me!
I have a Jazz 1.4EX which I bought new in March 2010. It has only covered 6200 miles from new, but I have noticed that all four tyres (Dunlop Sp2030 185.55.R16) have developed cracks in between the tread blocks. Is this something I should be concerned about, and if so is the dealer likely to be sympathetic as the 3 year warranty has not yet expired. Any comments would be gratefully received. Thanks!

Ozzie

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 HS, 2015 HS-T, now in a VW T-Roc
Have a look here, you can read the age of your tyres.
http://p-t-a.co.uk/Tyre-Age.htm
Im guessing thay the tyres are manufactured late 09, early 10 so they shouldn't be cracking, but I would take the car to a local tyre dealer and ask for an independent opinion before approaching Honda.
Good luck,

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
Post #23 of this thread http://clubjazz.org/forum/index.php?topic=4547.15 reports a similar problem with cracking.

John
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

guest3793

Yep same here, alltyres cracking between the tread. Local dealer said not covered by warranty (but they would put in a claim to try and get part payment if they fitted new ones, yeh right). But seeing as the fronts were due to be changed I just put the new tyres on the back and the cracking tyres on the front which will need changing in the next few thousand miles.
Interesting the new Jazz have different make..

guest3250

Don't know why they crack - Dunlop are generally OK - but that model seems not so good in this respect.
Not a lot to choose from in that size sadly.
I changed to 195 / 55 /16 and will stick with that for the rest of my ownership - much better all round
I went with Falken ZE914 - but there is a big choice in this size.
I never keep tyres past 5 years old anyway - I think there might be some small print in insurence, not sure
Always check the Dot number on the sidewall - has the week number and year on it - so you know how
old your rubber is.

guest3250

Falken ZIEX 914 all round
Excellent and much cheaper than certain other mainline brands -
grip and handling absolutly perfect cannot complain!
If in doubt swap up for 195's - you can choose what tyres you like - but
those are not expensive yet still very good

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Falken ZIEX 914 all round
Excellent and much cheaper than certain other mainline brands -
grip and handling absolutly perfect cannot complain!
If in doubt swap up for 195's - you can choose what tyres you like - but
those are not expensive yet still very good

Just to clarify - the 195's fit on the existing rims? It gives you so much more choice. Any notable difference in handling?

Any feedback from insurance company? I am tempted given the price of these 185's

stiggysawdust

• Approved Member
  • 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonb
    • Radio control model car racing
  • My Honda: 2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX
Just had 2 Falken Ziex ZE-912 185/55 R16 V (83) fitted on front. Black Circles inc fitting locally £146.54.
Very pleased with them so far.
Original Dunlops have only lasted 19500 miles and while wear was even over 3/4 of the tread, the inside edges were well worn and they were cracked between the treads. Never before have I had tyres that have worn this quickly. Hope the new Falkens are better.
2020 Honda Jazz 1.5 i-MMD Hybrid EX Midnight Moonbeam Blue Metallic

guest3775

[my two year old 1.4 cvt came with Dunlop sp2030 fitted.the fronts only lasted 12,5oo miles,and the rears were replaced today at 15000 miles.the dunlops performed well,and there were no cracks,but the wear was not good.i have fitted maxxis all season rears at £80 each fom event tyres.i]
:(
[/i]

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
Just had a look at my tyres (Original SP2030s).

All got cracking between treads.

Not sure I'll be replacing them with Dunlop.

Just wondering if they are safe :-\

guest3331

I had Dunlop SP2030s in 186/55r16 on my 2010 Insight ES.  All four developed cracking between the treads, which turned into a slow leak in one of them.

I asked about warranty on them but at around 25,000 miles was told it was too late by a Honda dealer who sold me some pre-puncture sealant (superseal or something like that).  The sealant stopped the leak.  I also phoned Dunlop, who told me that they would cover the tyres on a cosmetic warranty with a percentage of the tyre value allocated on a treadwear remaining basis.  They assured me that they were safe and the cracking would not lead to catastrophic failure (well - they would say that unless willing to recall them I guess).  I didn't claim because the sealant seemed to have solved the main problem for me and they'd already lost enough tread to make claiming not worth the hassle.

I eventually changed the tyres at just short of 40,000 miles a few months ago (approx 2.5-3mm tread left generally but there was a bit more inside wear).  Swapped them for Toyo Proxes CF2 (again 185/55r16).  They've seemed pretty good so far but the tread pattern suggests it might not be the best in snow.  Thankfully they've not seen much of the white stuff this winter. 

Interestingly, I went for pre-puncture sealant from the same dealer as above in the Toyos but it caused me wheel balance issues, manifested in some fairly prominent vibrations at speed.  Don't know if they used a different product but I only put up with it for a few weeks before having it cleaned out and the wheels rebalanced.

Regarding the inside wear on the Dunlops - I suspect the problem isn't the tyres but is more likely to be to do with the proliferation of speed humps we have in Sheffield.  Going over those repeately at 15-30mph is going to scrub the inside edges a fair bit.

Edit: I see this thread includes mentions for different tyres in the standard size.  Here are a few newish options I spotted in 185/55r16 that have been launced in the last year or two with euro ratings:
Toyo Proxes CF2 C, B, 70db (what I've got)
Pirelli Cinturado P1 Verde C, B, 69db
Michelin Energy Saver Plus C, A, 68db
Bridgestone Ecopial EP150, B, B, 70db
Yokahama BluEarth AE01, C, C, 70db

Tags:

anything