Author Topic: Jazz in the snow  (Read 16779 times)

guest2865

Re: Jazz in the snow
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2011, 09:33:11 AM »

This is NOT the case on dry tarmac though.

As evident on F1 racing cars for example.

Wide for large footprint and lots of friction/grip.

Narrow to have down-force to break through snow/ice.

guest2915

• Topic Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2011, 10:42:49 AM »
My OH drives a Nissan Pick Up not a Nevara. He kept going all through the snow in it. It's an outstanding and underage 4x4.I drove a Renault  Extra Van in the snow which was interesting but the best fun was my Mini Cooper  ;D

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2011, 12:21:40 PM »
Some call it a wheelie bin, in the winter it's a LGISDGP (Local Government issued Snow Depth Gauge Platform)!! ;D Daft thing is they even send the truck round to pick up the brown (garden waste) bin every 2 weeks even if there is a foot of snow on the ground but te roads are ploughed. :'(

One of my fave pics entitled "Has anyone seen my legs?"   :D :D

Lol. Typical council. wasting money on resources thst are not needed, instead of using the man power/cash on clearing and gritting the roads.... numpties!!.. loving the pic! one immobilised dog!! :))

D3DSL

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 57 Jazz SE + 11 Jazz ES CVT :)
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2011, 12:34:01 PM »
I did phone Highland Council up to complain that they hadn't collected the weekly (then :-[ ) main bin collection for a few weeks only to receive the standard "it depends on road conditions yada, yada, yada".  They then couldn't explain why the same operators in same conditions in near identical wagons could of picked up the garden waste, had there been any.  Councils, U gotta love em.  :P

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2011, 03:19:39 PM »

OT - was the image of dog in snow taken on a Samsung Galaxy Smart Phone - ? 

And the others posted by D3DSL ?

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 04:59:20 PM »
I did phone Highland Council up to complain that they hadn't collected the weekly (then :-[ ) main bin collection for a few weeks only to receive the standard "it depends on road conditions yada, yada, yada".  They then couldn't explain why the same operators in same conditions in near identical wagons could of picked up the garden waste, had there been any.  Councils, U gotta love em.  :P

;D unbelievable! so they collect non existant garden waste, but leave all the general waste bins full to brimming!! glad you had them stumped when you shot that question at them.... good on you i say!!  ;)

D3DSL

• Approved Member
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »
Pics taken with a bog standard iPhone 3G. 

Re council & rubbish it's just part of life up there in the winter and bin men don't go all rule book and reject anything with bins open or bags beside them.  At least up there they know how to keep the roads clear or clear significant snow fall reasonably quickly, the road to the north of my town can have 4' to 6' of the white stuff and they use snow-blowers.  Note the Z bend sign below for scale.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 05:37:35 PM by D3DSL »

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 07:47:55 PM »
Well, if they keep the roads that clear and take bags and empty overflowing bins, they can certainly be forgiven for the odd discrepency eh?  ;) great pics, i have just got a apple 3G i phone, not really took many pics yet, but looking at these pics, the quality looks great!  ;D

D3DSL

• Approved Member
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 08:45:11 PM »
It's certainly handy as don't carry a camera normally.  Useful for dash shots when it gets mildly chilly! ;)

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2011, 10:14:54 AM »
Indeed...... -18c!!   :o  :o :o i would defo call that a little more than mildly chilly!! lol.  ;D it was bad enough here at -10c/-12c  ;)

D3DSL

• Approved Member
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2011, 10:39:56 AM »
It got down to -20c at one stage, winter 09/10.  Last winter was a pussy cat compared with that, it just went a little further south.  It's a different (but beautiful) world with those temps day after day, week after week. 

You certainly keep fit shovelling the drive.

PS Last pics, honest, for those bored with them. :D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:03:04 AM by D3DSL »

guest2865

• Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2011, 12:10:27 PM »
D3DSL - I was asking about your camera because the pinkish colour cast in the centre of many of you images images is a well known 'defect' with Samsung and allegedly also on iPhone.

I have just got a Samsung Galaxy S II and noticed the effect first time I used the camera in such light conditions - thus I immediately wondered when I saw your images.

D3DSL

• Approved Member
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2011, 12:18:26 PM »
No worries. ;D I'm never going to win a photography award but it's handy to have for quick snaps.  Especially for the insurance company when some dozy oick (for want of a better word) drove into the side of my Jazz in Yeovil last Feb.  :(

guest2898

• Topic Starter
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »
Great pics.. keep em coming!  :D thats proper deep snow! where is the jazz this time? completely buried?? lol. yeovil? nice part of the country, i love somerset. Is this the area in the pics? it was bad down south.... as bad, if not worse than the north for a change! i have stayed at watchet a few times at a haven site called doniford bay. And when i was a kid... pontins brean sands....  ;D

D3DSL

• Approved Member
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »
No, not yeovil in the pics.  Snow scenes from Strathspey area where we regularly got hammered with snow 09/10, even got 8" of snow on Chrismas day.  Was great heading out to play in the snow on te back lanes, as long as I got ahead of the ploughs like 3rd pic. :) Now live in Sunny Surrey but still have Highland house as it's mid renovation.  Yeovil was where I sold my wife's Diso 3, had 2 when lived in Highlands but sold one last feb.  In the wrong place at the wrong time when someone decided to drive into the side of me having looked but not seen.  Insurance sorted it out, eventually.

Tags:

anything