Author Topic: CVT vs Manual  (Read 5236 times)

coffeecup

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz 1.4 i vtec i-shift
Re: CVT vs Manual
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2019, 01:19:37 PM »
I prefer the i-shift over the CVT, however i never drive in Auto (apart from when i have an ice cream in one hand)Mother-in -law has a CVT, i don't like the lag.

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 11:48:56 PM »
I know CVT doesn't have a clutch etc to go bad but has anyone here has the actual transmission itself fail? How much can you expect to pay for that repair? CVT seems to put all its eggs in one basket (auto transmission) and if that goes it might be a very expensive fix.

Jocko

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Died from rust.
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 08:49:37 AM »
Ozzie decided his was uneconomical to repair and had to replace it. Mind you, it had done 256K miles!

poul

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2017 1,3 Elegance Cvt Navi
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 08:57:30 AM »
I know CVT doesn't have a clutch etc to go bad but has anyone here has the actual transmission itself fail? How much can you expect to pay for that repair? CVT seems to put all its eggs in one basket (auto transmission) and if that goes it might be a very expensive fix.

I had a 2012 jazz lovelyu car with no problems at all and the cvt box went broke, my Honda dealer should have over 6000 pund to fix and Honda would not pay anything because car was 6 years and 150000 km, so god a good deal and bought a new jazz 2017 with cvt.  lovely car.  So it can god bad and it is expensive

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 11:39:03 AM »
As has been said many times, whether to drive a Manual, I-shift or CVT gearbox all comes down to personal choice.
For me, I've not driven a manual box since 2003, the I-shift is rubbish and the CVT the best thing since sliced bread ;D
However you can bet, the next post will say something entirely different ::)

evijaymohan

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2011 Jazz ES CVT7
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 11:50:20 AM »
I am driving mazda semiautomatic for last 4 years, I got used to it by taking foot of the gas , when i feel like gears should be changed , just like manual. Was difficult on slopes though.

Driving 2011 ES CVT since 2 weeks, Mostly its a pleasure , very smooth, slopes are smooth as well. It suits my kind of driving , I do not press the accelerator hard. I do use the S mode on roundabouts/overtaking/joining motorway, overall its good, happy about choosing it

but somehow after your drive, you feel some pressure on the right foot. Don't know how to explain. If i compare to a torque converter, you won't feel the quickness though.

Kenneve

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2023 Jazz Advance e-HEV, Red
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2019, 12:25:31 PM »
Regarding the comments about the CVT being 'fussy' and the 'rubber band effect'
It's not so many years ago that automatic gearboxes, of any sort, where unheard of in small engine cars.
At that time the minimum engine capacity in such vehicles was, in the order of 2 litres or more.
For any small engine, to develop its power, it has to rev much higher than a large engine, hence the 3000+rpm in the Jazz
Any automatic gearbox has a 'rubber band effect' to some extent, but of course it is not so noticeable in a large engine vehicle, since the engine does not need to rev so high, to develop the required power.

John Ratsey

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2022 HR-V Elegance
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2019, 04:04:11 PM »
There must be a lot of CVT Mk. 1 Jazzes still on the road. The best known problem they encountered was the "judder" which resulted in Honda halving the recommended interval for CVT fluid changes. The judder could be cured by a combination of flushing and trying to maltreat the transmission in order to clear the accumulated crud.

Regarding the comments about the CVT being 'fussy' and the 'rubber band effect'
It's not so many years ago that automatic gearboxes, of any sort, where unheard of in small engine cars.
At that time the minimum engine capacity in such vehicles was, in the order of 2 litres or more.
For any small engine, to develop its power, it has to rev much higher than a large engine, hence the 3000+rpm in the Jazz
I would add that putting a turbo on a small engine can significantly boost the low end torque and reduce the need to add revs in order to get some power. Does the Jazz Sport CVT show the rubber band problem?
2022 HR-V Elegance, previously 2020 Jazz Crosstar

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2019, 09:01:18 AM »
When I bought my Jazz earlier in the year I drove both the 1.3 and the sport 1.5 CVT. I much preferred the overall response of the CVT  with the 1.5 engine. The revs away from rest with the 1.5 were much lower than the 1.3 and the extra power made it a lot easier and safer to pull out into traffic.

I love the CVT and have never regretted my purchase of the Honda Jazz Sport.

peteo48

• Approved Member
  • I have entered the Jazz Age
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: 2021 Honda Jazz Mk4 1.5 i-MMD EX
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2019, 10:39:14 AM »
I think the marriage of the 1.5 engine and the CVT gearbox is working very well from several reports on this forum. I'd be tempted by a 1.5 but a change is a long way off having only had this car for 11 months.

smilertoo

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.39l Honda Jazz 2004 Ice Blue - 45mpg max/40mpg normal
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2019, 11:43:00 AM »
I've never seen a 1.5l jazz advertised.

barcam

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy:
  • My Honda: Honda Jazz Sport Navi CVT 2018
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2019, 12:40:22 PM »
I've never seen a 1.5l jazz advertised.

Have look at the Honda UK website and Autotrader. The used demo cars are appearing now, have test drive.

madasafish

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 1.4 ES CVT -2012
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2019, 01:47:25 PM »
I have driven my CVT 2012 ES for 6 years. Lovely and smooth and very relaxing in traffic jams. 2200 rpm at 70mph is fine as well. Got floppy paddles which I never use. No issues. DIY fluid change - easy..

I list below all the problems I have had with it:-

Kazcoco

• Registered Member
  • My Honda: Crz
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 11:10:18 PM »
Hi all
Bought wife 1.5 CVT two weeks ago for health reasons
Covered 800 miles in it both love it and CVT just as good as all previous autos I've had jaguars Volvo's Mazda all very much the same bar engine size they were all 2 ltd plus but in sport mode this starts at three thousand revs and has a good pickup to stay up with traffic .
In drive it takes a lot longer to pickup paddles aid this and are refreshing fun lol
Overall we both love it and prefer it over my cx5 auto .

Tags:

anything