Author Topic: Direct Line Insurance Documents  (Read 1056 times)

Saycol

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: MY21 Jazz Crosstar
Direct Line Insurance Documents
« on: July 25, 2022, 01:53:06 PM »
Anybody else here with Direct Line?

I have been with Direct Line for many years, always found the price reasonable and the service good. However, I renewed my insurance at the end of June and have yet to receive any insurance documents such as the insurance certificate. I checked online and the insurance is in place, which is the main thing. And it is not an online only policy so I should receive the paper copies of the documents.

About ten days ago I called Direct Line and after a 40 minute wait got through. Helpful lady on the phone confirmed that the documents had not been posted. They have been having problems with their “systems “ but she would note on file I had called and request the documents be posted. Nothing so far.

Quite separately Direct Line was in the news because of a huge drop in its share price because profits were down. (Higher price of second hand cars, spare parts etc)

So by not posting out documents is this a sly way of saving some cash? Or am I an isolated incident?

Westy36

• Approved Member
  • Fuel economy: Extremely good !!
  • My Honda: 2013 Jazz 1.4 ES Silver
Re: Direct Line Insurance Documents
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 02:21:51 PM »
It'll not be a cash saving exercise. System problems can and do happen, but not getting your docs after a month is very poor. I've insured with Direct Line on and off over the years, and they've always been efficient.

Have you tried using their webchat to contact them https://www.directline.com/car-cover/contact-us
Be worth a shot.

For peace of mind, I'd check your car is on the MID https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

sportse

• Approved Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 02:59:39 PM »
Most of the insurance policies I've had recently were online only documents.

You can request a postal copy, but they seem to assume everyone does it online.

You may be able to sign up for a direct line online account, to access documents yourself rather than have to deal with a call centre.

Saycol

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 03:58:39 PM »
It'll not be a cash saving exercise. System problems can and do happen, but not getting your docs after a month is very poor. I've insured with Direct Line on and off over the years, and they've always been efficient.

Have you tried using their webchat to contact them https://www.directline.com/car-cover/contact-us
Be worth a shot.

For peace of mind, I'd check your car is on the MID https://ownvehicle.askmid.com/

Thank you for your comments. I too have found Direct Line efficient but not this time!
I checked the ownvehicle link you provided and yes it is insured.

Bristol_Crosstar

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: Jazz Crosstar
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2022, 04:36:22 PM »
Anybody else here with Direct Line?

I have been with Direct Line for many years, always found the price reasonable and the service good. However, I renewed my insurance at the end of June and have yet to receive any insurance documents such as the insurance certificate. I checked online and the insurance is in place, which is the main thing. And it is not an online only policy so I should receive the paper copies of the documents.

About ten days ago I called Direct Line and after a 40 minute wait got through. Helpful lady on the phone confirmed that the documents had not been posted. They have been having problems with their “systems “ but she would note on file I had called and request the documents be posted. Nothing so far.

Quite separately Direct Line was in the news because of a huge drop in its share price because profits were down. (Higher price of second hand cars, spare parts etc)

So by not posting out documents is this a sly way of saving some cash? Or am I an isolated incident?
I'm with Direct Line, I renewed in April and I had the paper certificate posted (I just checked as I couldn't remember) so you should get one in due course

Saycol

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 10:10:33 AM »
Just to close this off, I finally received my insurance documentation today, more than six weeks after the renewal date. I just hope this tardiness would not be evident in the unfortunate event of an insurance claim.

Most of the auto insurance companies are posting reduced profits because of parts availability and increased prices of second hand cars so it is inevitable that as well as premium increases they will be looking to take out cost and that could impact customer service levels.

Lord Voltermore

• Approved Member
  • My Honda: 2021 Jazz EX
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2022, 12:03:33 PM »
Most companies I have used in the last few years (car,house etc) issue documents by E mail, unless you specifically ask for paper copies.      It does save them (and indirectly saves you) a lot of money  not having to cut down trees to make paper,  print lots of documents,most of which you seldom read,  ,employ staff (or buy machines) to stuff them in envelopes and lug them round a post room, and then pay postage  to deliver them. . 

I simply put all my Insurance documents in a special folder on my Computer. Easy  to find and easy to manage. I only print off the  certificate of Insurance, for use when travelling on the continent. If it were just for the UK I wouldnt even do that. 
    My real physical filing cabinet is almost empty.   
  Trust a dog to guard your house  , but not your sandwich

Saycol

• Topic Starter
  • Approved Member
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2022, 03:57:19 PM »
Most companies I have used in the last few years (car,house etc) issue documents by E mail, unless you specifically ask for paper copies.      It does save them (and indirectly saves you) a lot of money  not having to cut down trees to make paper,  print lots of documents,most of which you seldom read,  ,employ staff (or buy machines) to stuff them in envelopes and lug them round a post room, and then pay postage  to deliver them. . 

I simply put all my Insurance documents in a special folder on my Computer. Easy  to find and easy to manage. I only print off the  certificate of Insurance, for use when travelling on the continent. If it were just for the UK I wouldnt even do that. 
    My real physical filing cabinet is almost empty.   

Quite agree with everything you say. When Direct Line offered to renew my insurance it stated that documents would be posted out within 3 or 4 days. Their offer, not my request. When I paid the renewal premium I expected to receive the documents in the time frame that they quoted, not 6 weeks later.

Next year I will look for a completely online solution. I already have this for the Ala gap insurance I transferred over from a previous vehicle, so I am not averse to being paperless!

Tags:

anything